Chris Tanev Contract Discussion

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Is Ross Gurney a secret way to spell Ritch Winter?

You know, kind of like Chris Gaines...

chris-gaines-garth-brooks.jpg

arsmaster*

Seriously. I'd laugh my ass off if Tanev fled to the KHL, when he tried grovelling back after living in Siberia for a few months, I can guarantee the Canucks don't offer him a multi-year deal, and I'd imagine he'd wouldn't be offered one cent more than his QO.

I like the kid, but he's a 3rd pairing guy who isn't physical and doesn't produce.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I would have thought if anything, he might have attracted an offer sheet off a team who may want to acquire a young depth defenceman for compensation that wouldn't end up being much on a ~1.9 million offer sheet. At the very least, it makes a lot more sense than a KHL team offering him that kind of money (or more). I can understand a team in the KHL offering an NHL star big money, as it would not only improve team performance, it would also attract fans. Signing Chris Tanev for big money would not attract fans, and I find it difficult to believe that he would be any better on the big ice than many other veteran career Russian players who likely make a lot less. The only possible reason I could see for a KHL team to give Tanev a big money offer would be for spite.

I think Tanev and his agent have to accept that his client has no leverage. There is little upside, no arbitration rights, and even under advanced stats has little that would warrant a bigger contract.

It would suck to lose Tanev as he's been a decent depth piece that we added for nothing, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

StringerBell

*Gillis and Gilman on the phone right now with Tanev*

Gillis: "Start cleaning out your locker now and someone will come pick you up in the morning"

Gilman: "Tell him he might want to get a coat!"

Gillis: (covers receiver on phone) "What was that?"

Gilman: "Tell him to get a coat!!"

Gillis: (takes hand away from phone) "Also, I don't know if you know Russia. It's pretty cold. You might want to buy a coat"

*snickering in the background*

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Finally, it appears that Chris Tanev has some leverage.

A restricted free agent without arbitration rights, Tanev, 23, and his agent have been unable since the free agency window opened on July 5 to agree on a contract that both sides see as reflecting his worth to the NHL club.

But on Monday, Tanev’s agent Ross Gurney revealed the landscape changed over the weekend, with interest shown in the Canucks’ top young player by teams from the KHL and the Swiss elite league.

“We fully anticipate a deal getting done with Vancouver, but there has been serious interest from Europe,” said Gurney.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
*Gillis and Gilman on the phone right now with Tanev*

Gillis: "Start cleaning out your locker now and someone will come pick you up in the morning"

Gilman: "Tell him he might want to get a coat!"

Gillis: (covers receiver on phone) "What was that?"

Gilman: "Tell him to get a coat!!"

Gillis: (takes hand away from phone) "Also, I don't know if you know Russia. It's pretty cold. You might want to buy a coat"

*snickering in the background*

and a high five between Gillis and Gilman

arsmaster*

Finally, it appears that Chris Tanev has some leverage.

A restricted free agent without arbitration rights, Tanev, 23, and his agent have been unable since the free agency window opened on July 5 to agree on a contract that both sides see as reflecting his worth to the NHL club.

But on Monday, Tanev’s agent Ross Gurney revealed the landscape changed over the weekend, with interest shown in the Canucks’ top young player by teams from the KHL and the Swiss elite league.

“We fully anticipate a deal getting done with Vancouver, but there has been serious interest from Europe,” said Gurney.

What are you quoting? It looks like drivel to me. Especially the bold.

Leverage? If he thinks playing in Europe is leverage that has the Canucks scared he is an absolute fool.

gobi

Feb 9, 2006
Paradise, BC
If Tanev is demanding the moon after just one full year in NHL, that speaks volume about his character as well. I wouldn't want to guess what the next negotiation will be like. At this point, I'd be happy to have Corrado take over Tanev's spot.

JUMBOcanuck

Nov 15, 2007
What are you quoting? It looks like drivel to me. Especially the bold.

Leverage? If he thinks playing in Europe is leverage that has the Canucks scared he is an absolute fool.

Yeah, I just don't see how this is going to force Gillis into anything. The KHL is one thing.I suppose Tanev may decide to go there for a year or two if the money was good enough, but I can't imagine the Swiss league would be able to offer even minimum NHL salary. This is more than likely his agent trying to get the easily manipulated Vancouver media to start some sort of **** storm and get the fans all worked up.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
This "story" is nothing more than creative storytelling. KHL is interested in an NHL player? Of course they are. KHL is interested in every NHL player and are happy to pick up NHL players with active NHL contracts - they just want all the best players in the world.

None of this means Tanev has any interest in signing in the KHL and leaving the Canucks for Russia. The far more likely option is it's all just random BS made up in the middle of august to generate buzz about hockey and for Tanev's agent to try to get him some leverage. He'd be a bad agent if he wasn't pulling out all the stops to try to get Tanev a good contract.

If Tanev is demanding the moon after just one full year in NHL, that speaks volume about his character as well. I wouldn't want to guess what the next negotiation will be like. At this point, I'd be happy to have Corrado take over Tanev's spot.

Let's not read too much into something we have no details on. Maybe Tanev is asking for 2M and being ridiculous, maybe Gillis is offering him the same contract Schroeder got and being ridiculous, we just don't know. No need to go from assuming the player is being unreasonable for no reason to assuming that he also has character issues.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Chris Tanev's Dad must be really impressed with the "big time agent" tactics...

:laugh:

Tanev's Dad, "Wow, you mean I was supposed to lie in an shameless and transparent manner? Wow, I'm glad my son gave up 15% for quality representation rather than sticking with me."

"Oh, and here's a shout-out to Hodgson's Dad - SOLIDARITY!"

Last edited:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Of course they are. KHL is interested in every NHL player and are happy to pick up NHL players with active NHL contracts - they just want all the best players in the world.
Only a few teams in the KHL have "large vaults of money".

The Flames Mark Giordano went to Russia for a season when Sutter was playing hardball with him. It turned out alright for Calgary in the end.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Highly doubt Tanev is getting "tons of interest" from the KHL when no one in the NHL sees him as offersheet worthy, but whatever. I see free agents still out there that can be solid bottom pairing players for a year until Corrado is ready (who is going to be, if not already, better than Tanev).

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Careful what you wish for, Chris.

The kid has absolutely no leverage and if he thinks manufacturing leverage via some garbage league in Russia is going to help his cause......:laugh:\

Honestly, call his bluff. He will break immediately and return to Vancouver. Pathetic negotiating ploy that has already made me lose quite a bit of respect for Tanev.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Careful what you wish for, Chris.

The kid has absolutely no leverage and if he thinks manufacturing leverage via some garbage league in Russia is going to help his cause......:laugh:\

Honestly, call his bluff. He will break immediately and return to Vancouver. Pathetic negotiating ploy that has already made me lose quite a bit of respect for Tanev.

A lot of this is probably being pushed on him from his Agent, it's unfair to act as if Tanev was the mastermind behind all this.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Pathetic negotiating ploy that has already made me lose quite a bit of respect for Tanev.
I'd be careful about attack peoples character over contract negotiations when there is still another month until training camp.

If you were an NHL player, you'd want the best deal your agent can get you, too.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad