Chris Tanev Contract Discussion

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Thank god.

Calling two years, 1.25 AAV.

EDIT: Oh, this isn't like an imminent announcement, more like a "we've started negotiations..." kind of thing.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
Anything from 1 to 1.3 would be absolutely gold. I would prefer 3 years if possible.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
This season, more than any upcoming season, the Canucks really need to pinch pennies, so I think they'll go short term with Tanev to keep the cap hit down.

arsmaster*

He'd get more money at that term imo. One or two years at that price is my guess.

Why?

Is 3 buying a UFA year? Real question, as I'm not sure.

Tanev isn't getting extended for more money than Karl "plays against top lines" Alzner.

We all love Tanev, but he has no leverage.

arsmaster*

This season, more than any upcoming season, the Canucks really need to pinch pennies, so I think they'll go short term with Tanev to keep the cap hit down.

So why are they negotiating then? QO the kid at under $1m and be done with it.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Why?

Is 3 buying a UFA year? Real question, as I'm not sure.

Tanev isn't getting extended for more money than Karl "plays against top lines" Alzner.

We all love Tanev, but he has no leverage.

Players Tanev's age get paid some for potential on contracts longer than a year or two. He doesn't have leverage to get a lot of money, but he can ask for a shorter contract to prove himself.

arsmaster*

There's still the offer sheet issue looming. That's Tanev's leverage right now.

102 NHL games (10 of them in the playoffs).

2 goals, 10 assists.

3rd pair dman.

Who the hell is going to overpay that on an offersheet?

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
102 NHL games (10 of them in the playoffs).

2 goals, 10 assists.

3rd pair dman.

Who the hell is going to overpay that on an offersheet?

Doesn't really take an overpayment. Even a $2 million/year offer sheet puts the Canucks in a tough situation with respect to the cap, and Tanev is definitely worth that right now in terms of his on-ice value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad