Chris Stewart

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Oh I know he doesn't help drive possession. But I do think his possession stats are better than most on this team, but I could be wrong.

I'd be surprised by that. My eyeballs tell me he gives away more pucks than almost anybody else on the team. He has a terrible hockey IQ, in my opinion. I was excited to get him, but I've been very unimpressed with him so far.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Another interesting stat about Stewart is that he is shooting a lot more than his career average this year(42 SOG in 18 games) but only has one goal to show for it. For those that watch him, is it because he's taking a lot of low-chance shots or has he been unlucky?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'd be surprised by that. My eyeballs tell me he gives away more pucks than almost anybody else on the team. He has a terrible hockey IQ, in my opinion. I was excited to get him, but I've been very unimpressed with him so far.

I agree his hockey IQ is nothing to write home about ...and yes he does have a knack for turning the puck over ... but I've been pretty happy with him... I'd like to see him with a half way decent Center like when he had Stasny. I'm open to keeping him beyond this year but I'm not married to him either.. If we can get a solid return for him I'll take it ..or if Murray has a better plan going forward I wouldnt rage if we let him go.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

He is tied for the team lead wiith Myers, Risto and Weber with 10 giveaways. So you're not imagining that he turns the puck over. As Sabretooth mentioned he is in the lead in CF%. But it's not much of lead. Most of the forwards are clumped together. The top six are Stewart 39.7% , Girgs 39.0, Flynn 39.0, Gionta 38.8, Foligno 38.6 and Hodgson 38.3

Stewart's CF% of 39.7 is 371st in the league. Just reinforcing that we suck at possession as a team.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I agree his hockey IQ is nothing to write home about ...and yes he does have a knack for turning the puck over ... but I've been pretty happy with him... I'd like to see him with a half way decent Center like when he had Stasny. I'm open to keeping him beyond this year but I'm not married to him either.. If we can get a solid return for him I'll take it ..or if Murray has a better plan going forward I wouldnt rage if we let him go.

Thats something several wingers need and why they're struggling. When that gets squared away several of these winger will start looking a lot better. No idea how that will get fixed this year though

But I will say Stewart need to start using the power part of the power forward equation. Not enough work around the net and using his size. Too much fines in his game iIMO.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
He is tied for the team lead wiith Myers, Risto and Weber with 10 giveaways. So you're not imagining that he turns the puck over. As Sabretooth mentioned he is in the lead in CF%. But it's not much of lead. Most of the forwards are clumped together. The top six are Stewart 39.7% , Girgs 39.0, Flynn 39.0, Gionta 38.8, Foligno 38.6 and Hodgson 38.3

Stewart's CF% of 39.7 is 371st in the league. Just reinforcing that we suck at possession as a team.

But the usual caveats with judging anything by the giveaway stats needs to be mentioned: inconsistent recording/arena biases, etc. Plus also the players with the most giveaways tend to be the players who have the puck the most. Erik Karlsson led the league last year and Joe Thornton was #5--a guy who is an elite PMD and another guy who is an elite passer. It's a result of the sheer volume of passes they attempt. What would be nice is if there was an (accurate) giveaway/touch ratio.

That said, the eye test certainly confirms that Stewart very often makes stupid decisions with the puck. The 3-on-1 against Pittsburgh that turned into a goal against sticks out as a glaring example of stupid decision making that may not necessarily be captured by the stats.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
But the usual caveats with judging anything by the giveaway stats needs to be mentioned: inconsistent recording/arena biases, etc. Plus also the players with the most giveaways tend to be the players who have the puck the most. Erik Karlsson led the league last year and Joe Thornton was #5--a guy who is an elite PMD and another guy who is an elite passer. It's a result of the sheer volume of passes they attempt. What would be nice is if there was an (accurate) giveaway/touch ratio.

That said, the eye test certainly confirms that Stewart very often makes stupid decisions with the puck. The 3-on-1 against Pittsburgh that turned into a goal against sticks out as a glaring example of stupid decision making that may not necessarily be captured by the stats.

I'm simple letting dire wolf know he isn't imagining that Stewart is turning the puck over. Not making a commentary on it. I'm also well aware of the fact that those stats are limited in what they tell us.

Can anyone make a simple observation any more? what the hell :laugh:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I'm simple letting dire wolf know he isn't imagining that Stewart is turning the puck over. Not making a commentary on it. I'm also well aware of the fact that those stats are limited in what they tell us.

Can anyone make a simple observation any more? what the hell :laugh:

When using data known to have flaws, it should always be pointed out. :p:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
When using data known to have flaws, it should always be pointed out. :p:

Any data used on here has flaws or needs to be put into proper context to be used accurately. But when the object is to simply state that yes Stewart has turned over the puck and dire wolf is not imagining it. I don't think we need to get carried away with the flaws in how the stat is tracked or what can lead to turnover, etc. No attempt was made to use that stat to attack Stewart by me. Maybe someone thinks that?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad