Chris Stewart

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I don't see this as the case... I think you'll see Murray starting to make some changes for the better during next offseason in hopes the team makes a dramatic push from the bottom. It might only get us to pick 5-10 in the draft but I don't think the goal is to be picking at the top of the draft in 2016.

That was posted in April.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm about as "pro-tank" as you can be ...but Im very open to re-signing Chris Stewart.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
If we can combine him plus one of our 2nd rounders for a 2015 1st round draft pick, I'd be all for trading him.

BUT, I am kinda torn apart because I'd like to see him in our long term plans. I think he's a solid presence on the ice, big body guy that not many want to mess with. He can battle in the corners, he crashes the net, and has plentyyy of skill to put the puck in the net.

If he's going to leave for UFA b/c we can't sign him or don't want to sign him, then I'd definitely try to get a 1st rounder for this year's draft. If we can resign him, I think it would be smart to do that.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Still trade bait at deadline, IMO. Baring an explosion in leadership abilities or scoring, I don't see Murray extending him.

LottoPlease

Dec 30, 2013
Pegulaville
Still trade bait at deadline, IMO. Baring an explosion in leadership abilities or scoring, I don't see Murray extending him.

I can see Stewart as trade bait. I can also see him signing in July. I think he wasn't just a salary dump/throw in/cast off from STL in that deal. He's a TM kind of player and I think he's going to thrive under Nolan and, like Moulson, want to play here and guide this (soon to be) young loaded team to SC contention.

82-28-80 should scare the pants off of 29 other teams for the next 5+ years.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
At some point the re-building has to enter the actual building stage. We can't tear it down forever. I think this season is much about evaluating what we've got and what we need. Stewart could very well be part of the future the way he's playing. He may of course be a nice trade bait too, but I would like to see him re-signed.

GerbeSonOfGloin

May 27, 2011
Going forward, this is what our team will look like.

Left wings: Moulson, Ennis/Hodgson, Foligno, Deslauriers
Centers: 2015 draftee, Reinhart, Girgensons, Larsson/Compher
Right wings: ???, Grigorenko, Stewart/Stafford, Gionta, Armia/Fasching/Baptiste?

... assuming that one of Ennis and Hodgson is traded.

We'll have cap space to burn when we're ready to start building a serious team, and while our youngsters will be off their ELC's before you know it, I think we'll have the cap space for two semi-big acquisitions. One at D and one at wing makes the most sense. That new wing would be most likely top six RW (otherwise it wouldn't be a semi-big acquisition), and our glut of centers may necessitate moving someone like Grigs or Girgs over to RW (preferably Grigs). My issue with Stewart is that I would prefer someone who's not "top six or bust" for the roster flexibility. I would hate to have to miss out on signing/trading for a talented right winger, better than Stewart or Stafford, or struggle to fit in whichever of Armia/Fasching/Baptiste surprises the earliest, because we can't jiggle our roster to fit them because we've committed to Chris Stewart.

Yes, worrying about all this now seems a bit like trying to play eleven-dimensional chess, but it's why I would marginally prefer keeping Stafford, because I think he's better suited for a third line role than Stewart. If Stewart clearly outplays him, then fine, but if Stewart scores, say 20 goals this year and Stafford scores 17, I'd rather keep Stafford. But that's just me.

(There's also the added bonus that I think demand for Stewart will be higher, bc omg size - and to be fair, a deeper resume - even if he rarely uses it properly. If we can anything more than a low 2nd for him, I think we should trade him.)

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

I agree. It's hard to know what Murray is going to do with such a small sample size, but if last season is any indication he will trade Stewart away. He didn't extend Moulson or McCormick even though he wanted them back.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
At some point the re-building has to enter the actual building stage. We can't tear it down forever. I think this season is much about evaluating what we've got and what we need. Stewart could very well be part of the future the way he's playing. He may of course be a nice trade bait too, but I would like to see him re-signed.

Agreed. At some point last year a poster said that Hodgson would be the Patrick Sharp to our rebuilding process if it all came together and I thought that was very insightful. I don't have a Stewart comparison to that but he should be one of the guys who leads us into a better era. Ennis on the other hand....

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Just what we need another incosistent 2nd line player on the sabres being paid 4-5 million a season. He will fit right in here.

I'm sympathetic to your point but someone needs to be making that money next year. We'll be losing Stafford's $4m and Stewart's $4.15m. The options in free agency don't look to be great, so it seems likely we'll be paying an inconsistent 2nd liner one way or another. So long as it's a deal we'll be able to move if and when the need arises, everyone should be open to it.

Russ Tyler

Jul 9, 2011
HSBC Arena
Going forward, this is what our team will look like.

Left wings: Moulson, Ennis/Hodgson, Foligno, Deslauriers
Centers: 2015 draftee, Reinhart, Girgensons, Larsson/Compher
Right wings: ???, Grigorenko, Stewart/Stafford, Gionta, Armia/Fasching/Baptiste?

... assuming that one of Ennis and Hodgson is traded.

We'll have cap space to burn when we're ready to start building a serious team, and while our youngsters will be off their ELC's before you know it, I think we'll have the cap space for two semi-big acquisitions. One at D and one at wing makes the most sense. That new wing would be most likely top six RW (otherwise it wouldn't be a semi-big acquisition), and our glut of centers may necessitate moving someone like Grigs or Girgs over to RW (preferably Grigs). My issue with Stewart is that I would prefer someone who's not "top six or bust" for the roster flexibility. I would hate to have to miss out on signing/trading for a talented right winger, better than Stewart or Stafford, or struggle to fit in whichever of Armia/Fasching/Baptiste surprises the earliest, because we can't jiggle our roster to fit them because we've committed to Chris Stewart.

Yes, worrying about all this now seems a bit like trying to play eleven-dimensional chess, but it's why I would marginally prefer keeping Stafford, because I think he's better suited for a third line role than Stewart. If Stewart clearly outplays him, then fine, but if Stewart scores, say 20 goals this year and Stafford scores 17, I'd rather keep Stafford. But that's just me.

(There's also the added bonus that I think demand for Stewart will be higher, bc omg size - and to be fair, a deeper resume - even if he rarely uses it properly. If we can anything more than a low 2nd for him, I think we should trade him.)

I would say Reinhart would be better as a RW than Grigorenko. The dude is killer on draws.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Hey Sabres fans, what's up with this guy; is he done? I thought he would have a solid season seeing as he's a pending UFA and had a strong chance of being moved to a contender at the deadline. Has he played his way off the team, regardless of value? Or is it more a matter of not getting any bounces?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Two shifts in the 2nd, three in the 3rd, and a whopping 8:31 TOI vs MIN; 10:25 TOI vs STL ... it's safe to say Stewart's currently in Nolan's doghouse along with Hodgson.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Two shifts in the 2nd, three in the 3rd, and a whopping 8:31 TOI vs MIN; 10:25 TOI vs STL ... it's safe to say Stewart's currently in Nolan's doghouse along with Hodgson.

**** coach with a lot of poop in his doghouse, where Hahjcin belongs but Stewart doesn't.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
This can't be good for his trade value. What does Nolan think he's doing? Trying to win as many games as possible? He needs to have a chat with Murray.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Not going to score many goals from the doghouse, but he needs to put up some numbers to have a taker at the trade deadline.

Decent odds that he walks.

sabregoon

Nov 7, 2014
Buffalo
Hey Sabres fans, what's up with this guy; is he done? I thought he would have a solid season seeing as he's a pending UFA and had a strong chance of being moved to a contender at the deadline. Has he played his way off the team, regardless of value? Or is it more a matter of not getting any bounces?
Hard to produce on a team with no possession. That being said he's been rather anonymous lately. Have to think GMTM is going to looking to move him near the deadline.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Hard to produce on a team with no possession.

Stewart doesn't help with possession. Lots of times I've seen him with the puck behind/around the net and his pass always goes to the other team.

; 10:25 TOI vs STL ... it's safe to say Stewart's currently in Nolan's doghouse along with Hodgson.

You would've thought the STL game would have been a game where he would have wanted to shine. Kind of like how Gionta played a lot in the Montreal game.

sabregoon

Nov 7, 2014
Buffalo
Stewart doesn't help with possession. Lots of times I've seen him with the puck behind/around the net and his pass always goes to the other team.

Oh I know he doesn't help drive possession. But I do think his possession stats are better than most on this team, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4