Chris Stewart

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I've noticed some posters believe Murray should/will trade Chris Stewart. I don't understand why? Stewart is a perfect reclamation project. He's had his most successful seasons with Sacco as a coach. He's a big and skilled player with scoring touch. That sounds like the type of player Murray wants. We lack top-6 wingers; Stewart could provide some depth. I want to see him on the wings with Foligno centered by Cody Hodgson next year.

Perhaps he fails. If it's obvious he's not going to thrive in Buffalo you trade him at the deadline.

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
The thought process is that Stewart is replaceable and the team will get someone like him (but not him), but younger when the team is actually ready to compete. Therefore, it's easy to look at Stewart with a 2015 1st round draft pick in one's eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
He might stay for a few years but the thing is he's got skill and might hurt the tank. Let's be honest, he really might hurt the tank..and we don't want that..

Other than that, I would LOVE to draft a guy like Alex Tuch in the later part of the first round this season if we could, but I doubt he could be there. And have Stewart be the guy for 3-4 seasons.

Anyways, I think he's gone in the offseason or trade deadline to get maximum back. If a 2015 first is what we can get out of him, then by all means do so!
PS - I'd rather trade him for a first in the offseason but I don't think that'll happen. If he's traded at the deadline then it's more than likely to a playoff team like Pittsburgh/Detroit, and that pick is gonna be lateeeee

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Laziness, especially in his own zone, is my main concern. My presumption is that if he was getting stapled to the bench on a good team like the Blues, he'll probably end up back there when we're good as well.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
I've noticed some posters believe Murray should/will trade Chris Stewart. I don't understand why? Stewart is a perfect reclamation project. He's had his most successful seasons with Sacco as a coach. He's a big and skilled player with scoring touch. That sounds like the type of player Murray wants. We lack top-6 wingers; Stewart could provide some depth. I want to see him on the wings with Foligno centered by Cody Hodgson next year.

Perhaps he fails. If it's obvious he's not going to thrive in Buffalo you trade him at the deadline.

I think you answered your own question right there...

But anyway, even if he is decent reclamation project material, it's no guarantee that he'll go back to his 30 goal/60 point self, especially on this team. But, likewise, it's no guarantee that he won't.

Ultimately, however, this is about building through the draft and the youth, and Stewart doesn't fit that mold even if he is the type of player we need currently. I think of trade scenarios for him in the opposite manner: if Stewart has a good season next year and we can flip him for a 2015 first at the deadline, great. Just makes the miller trade look better. If he flops, maybe that's when we try to give him a lowball extension rather than settling for a lower return

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
He's an asset. Like a draft pick. Blues needed to get rid of a contract/$$.

You can only trade so many UFA's all at once for only draft picks/non-roster prospects. You can't go below the 20 man minimum roster via trade.

An asset who will hopefully increase in value next season, and trade at the deadline for more futures.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
He's an asset. Like a draft pick. Blues needed to get rid of a contract/$$.

You can only trade so many UFA's all at once for only draft picks/non-roster prospects. You can't go below the 20 man minimum roster via trade.

An asset who will hopefully increase in value next season, and trade at the deadline for more futures.

Yeah, the way I see it, he's worth a second rounder at the deadline next year from someone who needs a little scoring, doesn't want to break the bank on a run, but also doesn't expect to pick high.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
People realize he's only 26, right? At some point our focus should be making the team competitive, not gunning for last place. Murray should strongly consider re - signing Stewart if he performs like he did in Colorado. Big if....

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
there's no need to decide anything right now. let's see how he plays next year, how the team plays next year, what offers we might get for him, and what the roster looks like next year in addition to Stewart. Way too many variables right now.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
Personally I'd like to see him stick. A fresh start on a team that could use some size in the top-six couldn't hurt. Not even the tank. Seriously. Stewart by himself will not place this team on his back and lead a run to ninth place glory.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Personally I'd like to see him stick. A fresh start on a team that could use some size in the top-six couldn't hurt. Not even the tank. Seriously. Stewart by himself will not place this team on his back and lead a run to ninth place glory.

Not picking on you personally, but I've heard a lot of folks all say similar things about a variety of players, and I want to say some combination of many players improving small aspects of this team surely could take us out of the top 5 picks.

So it's not just Stewart who'll help this team next year, and Stewart isn't even close to my top priority. Next year, I'd like to see:

Ennis and Hodgson each hit 50 points.
Tyler Myers establish himself as a #1 Dman.
Girgensons improve his scoring, maybe put up 35 points.
Pysyk earn a spot as a reliable top 4 D.
Foligno show he can play a top 9 role.

In addition, I think we're going to be very hard pressed to keep Zadorov and our 2014 #1 pick in juniors next year, so that might be another couple guys you need to see positive growth out of.

In a perfect world, then, that's potentially 5 forwards and 3 defensemen on the team next year that you really need to see continued improvement out of, show they can play a role on a champion eventually. There are certainly other young guys besides the ones I identified who hopefully take strides forward next year, and might even do so in Buffalo (Deslauriers, Larsson, Ristolainen, Grigorenko).

It's deceivingly tempting to say we're gonna be horrible next year based on this year, but even without more moves, we should be improving.

All of this to say, I'm more comfortable saying anyone who helps this team appreciably in the short run without really helping make us a champion in the long run, I don't need them. I want two types of players next year: young improving kids, and ****** vets with great leadership skills. Stewart doesn't do either of these things for me, so if there's a deal for him at the draft, I take it.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
People realize he's only 26, right? At some point our focus should be making the team competitive, not gunning for last place. Murray should strongly consider re - signing Stewart if he performs like he did in Colorado. Big if....
I don't think tanking is in their plans. It doesn't offer much job security for GM's and coaches. I expect Murray to do everything possible without mortgaging the future to improve the Sabres.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

I don't think tanking is in their plans. It doesn't offer much job security for GM's and coaches. I expect Murray to do everything possible without mortgaging the future to improve the Sabres.

Are we really having a revival of the "this team won't intentionally tank" arguments?

Face it, guys, the top of the draft is going to be our goal for one more season. Would you really rather build around Stewart than eichel?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Stewart isn't going to have an impact on the team's position because if they traded him SURELY they would sign a fairly competent player. Stewart may be more talented than that player and perhaps even a more effective player, but that's still not highly likely to make a difference. Stewart's on the block for sure but there's no need to press the issue. There's no harm in bringing him into the season or even extending him.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I know this is a shocking thought for some, but you are allowed to keep decent players through a rebuild. You don't have to get rid of everyone worth a damn.

Stewart is not going to hurt the tank appreciably. Did Vanek or Moulson hurt the tank this year? Of course not. One player cannot make that kind of difference unless you're talking about a shoe in Hart candidate.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I know this is a shocking thought for some, but you are allowed to keep decent players through a rebuild. You don't have to get rid of everyone worth a damn.

Stewart is not going to hurt the tank appreciably. Did Vanek or Moulson hurt the tank this year? Of course not. One player cannot make that kind of difference unless you're talking about a shoe in Hart candidate.

The argument that any one player like Stewart can't hurt the tank presupposes that there'll be a large gap between us and 29th again next year. Not necessarily so.

But that's not even the real question. The question is what does he get you on this team, and what does he get you off it? If he's been a whipping boy for work ethic problems for a few years now, I don't know what the upside of having him around is, exactly. He pots a few more goals in a meaningless season and keeps a kid on the farm, but I don't see how that's really more value than any scrub you could sign on the FA market.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I say do anything to keep him around for at least one more year. If he's hesitant to go through a rebuild, try to convince to stay for one year, see what a large part of the team he can be, what kind of a leader and mentor he can be to the kids, and then if he still doesn't want to be a part of it, shipping him at the deadline to a contender.

But for now, make him comfortable. Offer a contract to his brother for the year as well; the kids aren't entirely ready yet and shouldn't be rushed, so filler players will be temporarily needed anyway. Offer him an 'A' on his sweater. Things like that.

I think he'll be a good fit in Buffalo, whether he actually is hesitant about it or not.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
Not picking on you personally, but I've heard a lot of folks all say similar things about a variety of players, and I want to say some combination of many players improving small aspects of this team surely could take us out of the top 5 picks.

(No offense taken) :)

Sure, but at the same time that the Sabres are growing experientially the rest of the teams in the league also will expect better performances out of their players as well. No one projects their players to regress in a coming season (looking at you, Foligno), nor should they. If all trend upwards as expected, we're still the same team playing the same opposition with the same results. Same players, same coaching staff, same special team play, same results.

To add; I'm not a fan of rushing prospects just for the sake of seeing if they can adapt to the speed and hang in while playing over their heads. We have a couple of years to do this right. Slow cook and boost the skill and confidence levels. The Ed/Oil model is broken.

The reason I wanted to address this was because of the "lot of folks all say similar things about a variety of players" statement. I find it funny that (not you personally of course) there are those out there who prefer that the Islanders defer and base their argument on NYI being as bad as if not worse in '15 while simultaneously espousing an improved Sabres team. I look at the pool of both clubs and see them as relatively close. If the same metric is applied to the Isle and Buffalo we're not that far apart. We have the benefit of a Good owner to our credit, so there's that. We also lost a top-ten tender in Miller with no comparable replacement, in regards to skill and workload. I honestly don't see Buffalo turning any heads and lighting the league up in 2015.

I can remember when The Sabres had multiple twenty goal scorers. At one point leading the league in that category. Those days may come around again but the team I'm presently watching isn't going to come close to achieving that kind of firepower. I'm perfectly fine with that for the next couple of seasons as long as we grow the prospect group the right way- to the purpose of getting back into serious contention.

Buffalo Warlord

Jul 12, 2013
I kinda hope we keep Stewart around entering a contract. I would ideally like to see him with Hodgson on the 2nd line

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
How has Stewart been?

He had a decent preseason but just picked up his 1st point last night. Is his effort there?

leo2892

Jan 25, 2007
How has Stewart been?

He had a decent preseason but just picked up his 1st point last night. Is his effort there?

Can't speak for other Sabres fans, but I'm definitely a fan of Stewart. He's already got some chemistry with a few of our forwards and I'm hoping that he signs back.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Loving Stewie thusfar. He's kept it simple and has played hard at both ends of the ice. That said, I'm still not sure he's part of the long-term solution. If he keeps it up, come trade deadline I think you see what you can get for him. But I also think in the process of doing so, you communicate to him that you'd be interested in bringing him back in the summer.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Are we really having a revival of the "this team won't intentionally tank" arguments?

Face it, guys, the top of the draft is going to be our goal for one more season . Would you really rather build around Stewart than eichel?

I don't see this as the case... I think you'll see Murray starting to make some changes for the better during next offseason in hopes the team makes a dramatic push from the bottom. It might only get us to pick 5-10 in the draft but I don't think the goal is to be picking at the top of the draft in 2016.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Going into the season I thought he and Foligno would do well together. After last night I am sure of it.

I like CStew a lot, but I don't want Murray so sign him until later in the season (that way he puts his full effort into the season and is still "earning" his contract). But I do want him signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00