Injury Report: Chris Pronger (Hired to work for NHL Player Safety, Oct. 9, 2014)

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
The Flyers would never elect to take on Pronger's cap hit. They would be forced to do so if Pronger were to retire and the league elects not to change the dumb 35+ rule.

The is whole fiasco has been nothing but bad logic on the part of the league. Why the hell should teams be punished because an older player's career was ended by a freak injury? It's not like Pronger had a reccuring injury that eventually forced him into retirement. His eye was gouged by an errant stick and then he suffered another concussion. Let the man retire and move on without the Flyers being punished. It's really that simple.

After reading EF's first tweet, it sounds like a choice.

''...he will be eligible to stay on LTIR, but sounds like PHI may (per @tpanotchCSN) put him on non-roster IR.''

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
The only positive if the Pronger contract was to count against the cap, is that it would essentially force management into being smarter with how they spend.

It would force us to move, somehow, someway, a ******, overpaid player or two - put them on waivers and send them done if you have to, call up a youngster or two, probably pre-maturely, and battle through.

We'd get a top pick the next couple years not being able to properly ice an overly competitive defense (not that we are now!!!), which is what would likely take the hit, and hope one of those picks is a young stud d-man for the future.

It is certainly perplexing to think that Pronger, while still employed by the Flyers, could extend suspensions to division rivals, or to the flyers.

I think he is a good man, a trustworthy individual and don't think for a second he would make a decision with his "team" at heart - not that he has been a part of the 'team' for the last 2ish seasons, but others in the hockey world and beyond would be crying foul.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hmm, so you mean to tell me that he's not behind the scenes helping make decisions with the Flyers, working with prospects, etc?

Interesting.

The fact of the matter is that if the league is hiring him, then his whole contract should be forgiven. There are few words to describe how asinine it is for the NHL to hire an unretired player while holding them accountable for contract as well.

Last edited:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
The only positive if the Pronger contract was to count against the cap, is that it would essentially force management into being smarter with how they spend.

It would force us to move, somehow, someway, a ******, overpaid player or two - put them on waivers and send them done if you have to, call up a youngster or two, probably pre-maturely, and battle through.

We'd get a top pick the next couple years not being able to properly ice an overly competitive defense (not that we are now!!!), which is what would likely take the hit, and hope one of those picks is a young stud d-man for the future.

It is certainly perplexing to think that Pronger, while still employed by the Flyers, could extend suspensions to division rivals, or to the flyers.

I think he is a good man, a trustworthy individual and don't think for a second he would make a decision with his "team" at heart - not that he has been a part of the 'team' for the last 2ish seasons, but others in the hockey world and beyond would be crying foul.

I respectfully disagree with the bolded part quoted above.

Are you aware that the Flyers are still on the hook for all the Cap Dollars above $850K or so IIRC when they send a player down to the minors? So considering that they have to replace the player, as well as carry the Dead Cap Space above the limit, the saving are minimal at best on a send down... For example: they demote a $3M D-man and promote a $650K D-man, they are on the hook for $2.15M plus $650K which totals $2.8M or a savings of only $200K... If they player has to battle through and allows more goals against to happen, thus means more loses, what is gained for such a small savings? How many such transactions must happen to gain enough Cap Space to offset Pronger not being on LTIR and counting 100% against the Cap?

The Management could never be smart enough to learn how to spend in a way save that much from Pronger coming off LTIR without a special compensation beling allowed.

... I do however agree that it would be a tank... so if that is the good part, I'm not buying into that... Ed Snider and The Flyers don't tank!!!!!

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Hmm, so you mean to tell me that he's not behind the scenes helping make decisions with the Flyers, working with prospects, etc?

Interesting.

The fact of the matter is that if the league is hiring him, then his whole contract should be forgiven. There are few words to describe how asinine it is for the NHL to hire an unretired player while holding them accountable for contract as well.

This doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Or other teams hold us hostage and force us to trade people like a Read for picks.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

Here's the answers we were looking for:

The Flyers will pay him $4 million this season, $575,000 next season and $575,000 in 2016-17. He will remain on long-term injured reserve. But it’s money due to him because of his career-ending injury. He does not work for the Flyers. His work for them is done. The Flyers, the NHL and the NHL Players’ Association all have signed off on this.

He will not offer input on incidents involving the Flyers, just to be safe – just as Patrick Burke does not offer input on incidents involving Brian Burke’s team, the Calgary Flames. What about incidents involving other Metropolitan Division teams or even other Eastern Conference teams? Will his Flyers connection cloud his judgment?

“No,†Pronger said. “Absolutely not.â€

All is good for now... but I still think that they should and eventually will rectify the 35+ Rule on Career Ending Injured Players like Pronger... Why should the Flyers and other teams be burdened with LTIR restrictions on players legitimately injured like that?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Good to hear that because of this and everyone signing off, that they won't **** us. Now get rid of Grossmann, and bring up as many young D-men we want.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Am I the only one who finds Pronger annoying?

I loved him when he played as a Flyer; he was a great player, no doubt.

But he seemed to completely bail on the organization while they were paying him millions.

Moved back to St. Louis. Did some barely token scouting and stopped that. Now goes to work for the league.

He's not a Flyer. He's Pronger. Strange stuff going on with that guy, and he's definitely me first over the team.

Wish I could like him as I did when he briefly played here, but now I just get sick when I see him on TV.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Sets an interesting, and kind of sensible precedent for guys who obviously will never play again. Basically says now you can 'retire' and simply be placed on LTIR. It happened anyway, but more formalised now.

I wonder if Savard and Ohlund take jobs within the next few weeks?

Funny... as we **** around pretending not to give Lappy a job for ages to satisfy that he was not 'retired'. Though actually looking at the CBA that was a role in-house... which is prohibited while still a contracted player, so I guess that is the difference.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

But he seemed to completely bail on the organization while they were paying him millions.

Moved back to St. Louis. Did some barely token scouting and stopped that. Now goes to work for the league.

He's not a Flyer. He's Pronger. Strange stuff going on with that guy, and he's definitely me first over the team.

Wish I could like him as I did when he briefly played here, but now I just get sick when I see him on TV.

He's always been that way.

Hence why, when it comes to making a list of Best Flyers Players, I would have him near the top...but when it comes to Best Flyers...he doesn't make the list. He's a mercenary. But holy **** was he a good merc.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Me and/or family first over the team. Remember, he forced his way out of Edmonton less than a year after signing a contract extension because his wife doesn't like the cold. St. Louis is home for her.

But he was still an "active" player. He doesn't really have any obligation to do anything. People just oversold themselves on how much his influence would still count - which was almost zero. We saw that when there were photos of him sitting with Luke Schenn in an office, and that Sam Morin thread from his draft is something special.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If it's OK for Burke's son to be involved in everything but decisions on Calgary then it's OK for Pronger to be involved in everything but decisions on Philly players.

Sets an interesting, and kind of sensible precedent for guys who obviously will never play again. Basically says now you can 'retire' and simply be placed on LTIR. It happened anyway, but more formalised now.

I wonder if Savard and Ohlund take jobs within the next few weeks?

Funny... as we **** around pretending not to give Lappy a job for ages to satisfy that he was not 'retired'. Though actually looking at the CBA that was a role in-house... which is prohibited while still a contracted player, so I guess that is the difference.

Is Ohlund living in North America? You'd think he would be back home in Sweden.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
No, but he has more attachment to Calgary than Pronger does to Philly. Pronger will get his money no matter what.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If it's OK for Burke's son to be involved in everything but decisions on Calgary then it's OK for Pronger to be involved in everything but decisions on Philly players.

Is Ohlund living in North America? You'd think he would be back home in Sweden.

Dunno with Öhlund. A quick search shows he still owns an address on Davis Islands, Tampa, shows it has not been sold. But I imagine he spends a lot of time back in Sweden these days.

Sad his career ended the way it did... was one of the guys as a kid I always wanted on the Flyers... for 10 or so years he was a great, extremely consistent Dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad