Chris Kreider

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Personally if it were me while Stepan was out I'd have brought up Oscar Lindberg. He's supposedly pretty decent in the face-off circle. He's a real center. So.....

And not that Tanner Glass was awful last night--he wasn't--though he isn't good enough if the team is healthy to be in our lineup.

Kreider is not a center. The team has looked dysfunctional enough the last two games without trying that kind of an experiment. Bring up Lindberg if Stepan's going to be out much longer.

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012
He doesn't have the defensive awareness to play center, and besides, we need his speed up high, so we can use him to back off opposing defensemen. If Kreider is down low, it'll allow opposing defensemen to pinch and pressure us deeper in our zone. Kreider's ability to stay up high and blow by defenders is a big part of our transition game.

I think people mean to just take the faceoff...I hope anyway

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think Kreider, along with John Moore, is the dumbest player on the team when it comes to hockey IQ. He gets away with it because he has immense physical gifts.

That said, I don't want a dumb player playing center.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The game winner tonight. The Columbus people gave him the 2nd star. Personally I thought Stepan was our best forward but Chris had a good game.

Whiskers*

I think I could score with Stepan passing to me! Krieder would have about three goals if it weren't for Stepan's hockey IQ.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Kreider literally has 2 plays when he goes to on a breakaway. If he's facing the goalie, go stick side, or on an angle the move he pulled off today. How any goalie still falls for it is amazing to me. Especially one of Bob's caliber.

NYRangerFan*

Kreider literally has 2 plays when he goes to on a breakaway. If he's facing the goalie, go stick side, or on an angle the move he pulled off today. How any goalie still falls for it is amazing to me. Especially one of Bob's caliber.

He does it all the time and he finally scored on it. Yay. It would be nice if he can score on more breakaways

NYRangerFan*

I believe he's scored on it, also almost scored on it against the Panthers, and missed not because of the goalie.

Yeah. He has to go to the net more, its his game. When he doesn't go to the net he isn't as effective

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

The idea for Kreider is to cross in front of the net at speed--the goalie is either going to have to follow him across from post to post--which means opening his legs or he's going to have to stand his ground and have to shoot out his leg at the last moment and hope it covers the far post and hope that Kreider doesn't lift it over his pad. It's not an easy save. It isn't all that easy though for Kreider to lift it all that much in that kind of situation. Last night Bobrovsky stood his ground and shot out his leg and missed.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Kreider is a huge part of this team, now and in the future.

My only issue with Kreider is some of the penalties he takes, he just needs to find the line and toe it. The kid has absolutely no clue how much stronger he is than most guys in the NHL. I mean, he probably thought he love-tapped Soderberg the other day and he sent him flying like he was hitting me out there.

He can be a 30-30-60-100 guy easy.

That combination of size and speed is something that is unparalleled

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

My only issue with Kreider is some of the penalties he takes, he just needs to find the line and toe it. The kid has absolutely no clue how much stronger he is than most guys in the NHL. I mean, he probably thought he love-tapped Soderberg the other day and he sent him flying like he was hitting me out there.

My problem with him is his propensity to turn into a floater for weeks on end.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Happens to young players. It's just what it is.

I don't think it's a coincidence that he turned into a 'floater' after he was booted from that Minnesota game. He looked timid on the ice.

I think he's got his physical game back. As long as he keeps that, he's a HUGE asset to this team...

He's on an absolute tear right now, too

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Outside of the two losses he's been playing much better lately.

He has. I think it's just his combination of skill, speed, and size that creates this unfair assessment of him, from me at least. I expect him to use it on every shift, and he looks lazy or "scared" or something. Probably because every time he throws a hit he crushes people, and gets labeled as reckless or dirty. He needs to just play with that high energy, use his speed and crash the net. Look what happens when he does. If someone trips him and he goes into a goalie, that's their problem, not his. He needs to use those assets to be optimally effective.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada

I'm with you BBB....a lot of stupid going on there with him . I think he is soft considering his size and strength . He does not use his size at the correct times like in front of the net during scrums....you see him poking/reaching at the puck when he should be in there full barrel and shoving guys and confronting them . He acts like a young heifer a lot more times than should be when he could be a bull . I don't think he wants to throw the big hits most times because he is scared that he will have to answer for them .....not the way a big guy should be thinking unless that is his DNA and not changeable .

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'm with you BBB....a lot of stupid going on there with him . I think he is soft considering his size and strength . He does not use his size at the correct times like in front of the net during scrums....you see him poking/reaching at the puck when he should be in there full barrel and shoving guys and confronting them . He acts like a young heifer a lot more times than should be when he could be a bull . I don't think he wants to throw the big hits most times because he is scared that he will have to answer for them .....not the way a big guy should be thinking unless that is his DNA and not changeable .

What? Are we watching the same player right now?

He's second on the team in hits since December with 45 (G has 48).

No "young heifer" charges the net on breakaways like he does. It's Nashesque. Remember when Nash was getting over his concussions and not breaking to the net with the power-move across the crease last season? Now he's back to that? That's a bull. Kreider gets a chance like that basically once every two games.

sthNYR5

Apr 24, 2012
NYC
Outside of the two losses he's been playing much better lately.

Agreed 100%. I think it started after he got hurt and came back on the 4th line for a game or two. Forced him to simplify his game and not try to do too much.
He's done a better job of using his size and strength while protecting the puck along the boards lately. That's something that needs to become a staple of his game for him to take the next step in his development.
Also that goal he scored in San jose. absolute beauty the way he boxed out the defender to get prime positioning in front of the net for a tap in rebound. He has all the talent in the world hopefully he can start to become more consistent from shift to shift. And from the looks of the last few games he may be starting to get it.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
What? Are we watching the same player right now?

He's second on the team in hits since December with 45 (G has 48).

No "young heifer" charges the net on breakaways like he does. It's Nashesque. Remember when Nash was getting over his concussions and not breaking to the net with the power-move across the crease last season? Now he's back to that? That's a bull. Kreider gets a chance like that basically once every two games.

You are completely missing the whole point about Kreider's lack of consistency by continuing to reference how hes played in the last handful of games.

He is an immense physical talent, and will be a good player for the Rangers, but I just don't think hes a smart enough player to go to the next level. If you gave him Stepan's brain, you'd have a superstar.

I dont know why feeling that a young player will be good, not great, is some sort of slur around here.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

He was setting up MSL all night last night for some glorious scoring opportunities.

As for the Soderberg penalty, much like the Brodin call, the contact point was in front of the goal line, and Kreider pushed him with one arm. That is just freakish strength.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
You are completely missing the whole point about Kreider's lack of consistency by continuing to reference how hes played in the last handful of games.

He is an immense physical talent, and will be a good player for the Rangers, but I just don't think hes a smart enough player to go to the next level. If you gave him Stepan's brain, you'd have a superstar.

I dont know why feeling that a young player will be good, not great, is some sort of slur around here.

Not disagreeing with you. I just think that inconsistencies are part of the growing pains with some of the younger talent in the league.

Obviously you have the freakish kids who come in and are a threat every night, but for most guys it comes in ebbs and flows until they find their game completely and keep it coming night after night. Hell, a lot of vets struggle with inconsistencies of their own. It's a long season. Ebbs and flows.

I think his hockey IQ is a little underrated around here. He definitely struggles getting the puck out of the zone when he receives it in the defensive end, but his play in the offensive zone is on par with where it should be at this point in his career.

I didn't mean to treat your evaluation of Kreider as blatantly false, if that's how you read my words. I understand where your'e coming from when I talk about JT Miller, though, admittedly, your level of Kreider critique comes nowhere near my JT Miller critique ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia