Chris Kreider/JT Miller Discussion Thread (2/16: Kreider recalled to NHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
So can it be presumed yet that the Rangers will not slide J.T. Miller's contract? If he plays another game this season, his ELC starts.

On Kreider---to me, he should not have been up at all this season in the first place, since he was struggling so badly with the Whale. (Off-topic---does Christian Thomas deserve a 5-game look?)

CT has 3g 3a in the Whale's last 3 games. I think he gets a shot at some point this season if he keeps up his play in CT.

Definitely couldn't hurt to try him on the PP. He'd probably instantly be our best one-time option out there.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I remember Thomas being known for his slap shot. Even so, if he was such a sniper I really wish he would have backed it up with some AHL production against lesser quality opposition and goaltenders.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
I remember Thomas being known for his slap shot. Even so, if he was such a sniper I really wish he would have backed it up with some AHL production against lesser quality opposition and goaltenders.

CT was trying to show his playmaking skills, which did not work very well in the AHL. He got benched, he decided to go back to his bread and butter, speed and shooting about a month ago and the results followed.
I will try to find an article discussing CT in the AHL.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I read somewhere that Kreider didn't have a shot on goal tonight for the Whale.

This kid needs to have someone tell him straight up: he needs to play with more intensity and drive. As torts would put it "Jam." He has the tools, he just needs to constantly be moving his feet, throwing hits and taking shots. His biggest problem has been his lack of intensity. He looks tentative with the puck and seems to have zero confidence. For him to be successful he needs to play like hags. Constantly moving his feet. He has tremendous speed, but it's rarely a factor because he's always coasting.

JAM!

Kershaw

I read somewhere that Kreider didn't have a shot on goal tonight for the Whale.

This kid needs to have someone tell him straight up: he needs to play with more intensity and drive. As torts would put it "Jam." He has the tools, he just needs to constantly be moving his feet, throwing hits and taking shots. His biggest problem has been his lack of intensity. He looks tentative with the puck and seems to have zero confidence. For him to be successful he needs to play like hags. Constantly moving his feet. He has tremendous speed, but it's rarely a factor because he's always coasting.

JAM!

It's scary how much he's regressed in a span of a couple of months. In the playoffs, he was a machine at generating shots on net in a much tighter checking system. Right now, he's lucky to get one shot on net every other game it seems. Maybe he is hiding an injury?!!? That's the only thing I can think of.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Kreider wasn't a liability after he came back. He wasn't impressive, but he also wasn't detracting.

Two points in four games and was a +4.

People are overlooking that five of his eight games were against three of the best teams in the league.

There was no reason to demote him. He showed flashes. That's all you could ask from offensive-minded rookies. Its a learning experience and the Kreider we saw after the ankle injury was better than the Kreider we saw the first week of the season.

Again, there was no reason to send him down or bench him. He's going to learn more playing 10 mins a game in an NHL playoff environment than playing 16 mins a night with Segal and Jean.

God, if Torts held the entire roster accountable for making a mistake or two in 9 mins of play, the whole team would be in Hartford.

Somebody's going to get hurt. Kreider will be back soon regardless of what he does in Hartford.

Maybe the professor behind the bench will have an epiphany

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Kreider could use some time in Hartford. He's a rookie, and you can't expect him to walk right into the NHL and be ready for it.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
The good news is that Sather and company aren't averse to throwing these kids out there without spending much time down on the farm.

I'd like to see them call McIlrath up for a look before they trade for a rental dman at the deadline

I think that would be a recipe for disaster right now.... Rangers are still trying to find their footing defensively and at this point Gilroy, Eminger, and Stralman are all going to be better options than inserting a defensive prospect with barely any pro experience into the line-up. I'd like to see McIlrath playing well & consistently at the AHL level before they would even consider throwing him out there with the Rangers.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I think that would be a recipe for disaster right now.... Rangers are still trying to find their footing defensively and at this point Gilroy, Eminger, and Stralman are all going to be better options than inserting a defensive prospect with barely any pro experience into the line-up. I'd like to see McIlrath playing well & consistently at the AHL level before they would even consider throwing him out there with the Rangers.

Yes, the season will become unhinged following the arrival of a 20-year-old 6th defenseman.

Call him up, let him get a taste, get into some fights and take it from there.

Dorado*

Yes, the season will become unhinged following the arrival of a 20-year-old 6th defenseman.

Call him up, let him get a taste, get into some fights and take it from there.

If Almighty All knowing Gordie drafted this kid to just " grt into some fights " @ 10 overall he should be fired . This kid supposedly has some upside .now if McI can come in eventually and handle players like Lucic and Horton who run rough shod over NYR then I'm down with it . Using one on the organizations supposed to

Dorado*

Prospects as a goon punching bag is piss poor asset management. He's either eventually ready to play a meaningful d man or not . Using him as a goon and passing on Fowler who has major offensive ability and Tarasenko who is going to be a super star for a punching bag was a huge flop .

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
That's, that's freaking awful.

Certainly not a reassuring line, especially in a 4-1 win, but here was Crawford's analysis of his game:

@HawkCrawford: Thought he was pretty active and had one of his better games. MT @BlkNBlueShirts: @HawkCrawford Saw he was -1 but how did he look otherwise?

Which is certainly more along the lines of what you want to hear.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
If Almighty All knowing Gordie drafted this kid to just " grt into some fights " @ 10 overall he should be fired . This kid supposedly has some upside .now if McI can come in eventually and handle players like Lucic and Horton who run rough shod over NYR then I'm down with it . Using one on the organizations supposed to

I have a strange feeling they dont want him to just fight, but knowing his tendencies, I say he fights his first game.

Either way, a game or two in the NHL wont hurt his development.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I'm in Afghanistan. It's all I got.

Still, I'm not sold on Hartford for Kreider. You cant punish a kid for 7 games.

Chemistry and continuity in NYC will help Kreider more than 7 extra mins of ice time a game in hartford.

Torts' haphazard way of stringing lines together is odd. Hagelin and Stepan have both gone through long schnide's without doing anything, but they stayed with the big club and played on all four lines.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Tortorella was not available yesterday as the Rangers had the day off, but on Thursday he explained the scratch of Kreider by saying: “I don’t think Chris has done anything poorly but on the other end, I don’t think he’s done anything really good either.â€

This will mark Kreider’s second AHL stint. He played 33 games for Connecticut during the NHL lockout in which he recorded only five goals and 12 points. The Rangers expect him to do really good things for the Whale. They expect Kreider to assert himself. If he does, he will be back in Blue.

http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/rangers_send_kreider_to_ahl_PNIVGtolTswA9FjrXlH7gP?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20Rangers

From Brooks today

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's scary how much he's regressed in a span of a couple of months. In the playoffs, he was a machine at generating shots on net in a much tighter checking system. Right now, he's lucky to get one shot on net every other game it seems. Maybe he is hiding an injury?!!? That's the only thing I can think of.

There was no expectations during the playoffs. Now there are. That can mentally handcuff a lot of young guys. That's what Kreider needs to get past - forget the expectations, projections and fans, and just get back to being an excited kid who enjoys being on the ice and playing on the big stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad