Chris Kreider/JT Miller Discussion Thread (2/16: Kreider recalled to NHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
I like this line a lot. obviously an all ammerican line is cool but i think it really is our sppark line. Cally is the heart and soul of the team and him being with the two kids elevates their games IMO

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Seems like these guys' skillset compliments each other well. Also a good skillset for the 3rd line. Seriously, if these guys play up to their potential we'll have zero depth issues. That's as good of a 3rd line (potentially) on the Rangers as I can remember. I guess we did have a decent version of Drury centering the 3rd line in 07-08, I don't remember who were his wings though.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I think we talked about the AMEX line with Callahan-Step-Kreider last time :laugh:

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
This is such a fierce line. I love it. I prefer this as the second line. Notice how much that trade for Powe and calling up Miller completely fixed the depth on this team.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This is such a fierce line. I love it. I prefer this as the second line. Notice how much that trade for Powe and calling up Miller completely fixed the depth on this team.

I'm not quite there yet, but it obviously helped a lot.
Thank goodness some here --- we know who they are --- had the sense, and the brass begerkouras, to call for giving Miller a shot.

Kershaw

Hopefully it can be as good as Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan one day.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yes please as to Callahan-Miller-Kreider, maybe flip around, versatility is a good thing. Also at a minimum Hagelin now, and very possibly also Jesper Fast next year as well ...

Pyatt also not THAT fast, but also fast and could be complementary in some fashion with that group.

Last edited:

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Should be a line that is going to be hell for opposing teams to play against. I'd also reunite Hags-Richie-Gabs and put Pyatt-Stepan-Nash together and actually ride consistent lines for a while. Won't happen, but it'd be nice...

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
i love this usa line. ive also been rooting for a swede line of hags-lindberg-fast maybe next year

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The reason this line having recent success is a good thing is not necessarily because of anything inherent within the line, or about it, but because of the implications it has on the rest of the lineup.

This provides balance. It allows Stepan to not be forced to center Callahan. It allows three different lines with a potential 30 goal threat on them. And, it allows dependable 4th line players like Boyle, Halpern, Asham to not be forced to play above their heads.

Certainly Pyatt and Hagelin are playing "above themselves" in this current assortment, but the important thing to me is good balance and a group of lines that function together at even strength. Cally won't be at a lack of ice time because of PP and PK minutes.

It may be a good line But any success it has just makes the rest of the team that much better.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The reason this line having recent success is a good thing is not necessarily because of anything inherent within the line, or about it, but because of the implications it has on the rest of the lineup.

This provides balance. It allows Stepan to not be forced to center Callahan. It allows three different lines with a potential 30 goal threat on them. And, it allows dependable 4th line players like Boyle, Halpern, Asham to not be forced to play above their heads.

Certainly Pyatt and Hagelin are playing "above themselves" in this current assortment, but the important thing to me is good balance and a group of lines that function together at even strength. Cally won't be at a lack of ice time because of PP and PK minutes.

It may be a good line But any success it has just makes the rest of the team that much better.

Quite often stars/superstars play on top lines with role players on teams. A top line doesn't have to consist of superstar players. Hags and Pyatt are very good complimentary players. It's not like Boyle is playing on the top 2 lines. Those guys can bring a lot of value to their lines.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Quite often stars/superstars play on top lines with role players on teams. A top line doesn't have to consist of superstar players. Hags and Pyatt are very good complimentary players. It's not like Boyle is playing on the top 2 lines. Those guys can bring a lot of value to their lines.

I completely agree with you. They aren't guys I would trot out on the power play with the top unit, but in the grind of an even strength game, they absolutely can be useful. Pyatt is a strong cycler who can win pucks, who will pair well with weaker players like Stepan and Gaborik. Hagelin has the speed to cover defensively for Richards and Nash while still keeping up with the play.

Kershaw

Maybe Miller, in what world was that true about Kreider? Besides, he didn't live up to that, as much as I like the guy. I'm comparing Anisimov at what he was on that line to what this line CAN be.

Look at Anisimov's scoring rate as a 19-20 yr old in the AHL. He was 5th in league scoring.

I doubt Miller/Kreider become better than Anisimov.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Look at Anisimov's scoring rate as a 19-20 yr old in the AHL. He was 5th in league scoring.

The thing with Arty though is that a lot of the moves he can't pull off in the NHL (yet) are moves he was probably able to do with ease against AHL competition. He was always a step behind in dangling guys out of their jocks but that's just it, more often than not he was always a step behind. I still think he'll put it together one day and become a fantastic second liner, but it's just as possible he won't.

I love Arty, and he's the piece in the Nash trade i'll miss the most, but I wouldn't use his AHL scoring to say CK or JTM can't do what he did with the NYR just yet.

McDunna with Fries

Apr 9, 2012
I love this line. A bunch of people have said Miller's future is at wing, but I think he's a way better playmaker and a natural center. Looked really good passing the puck in the PP during his first game. Gonna really be pushing Halpern and Boyle.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
To be completely honest, I'm a little bit impressed with Torts and Sather and how quickly they were able to help the depth of this team. Maybe I'm just easily impressed, but I like the recent additions to this team and with Gilroy stepping up.

Hopefully Gilroy can continue his good form and hopefully miller is able to handle the responsibility.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Maybe I'm wrong but your posting history is very negative it seems. Anisimov, I don't believe ever hit 50 points. If either of those 2 guys never hits 50 points, I'll be disappointed. Anisimov's play in the AHL isn't the be all end all.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
I miss what is so appealing about their Americanness - there are tons of Americans that play hockey, I don't know why we treat it like a novelty - but I like the line a lot. I think they've been the line with the greatest sense of urgency over the last two games. I still want to see Kreider go to the net a little more - or I actually just want to see him do more of all the things that Ryan Callahan does, I don't know if playing on the same line encourages that, but it probably can't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad