Chris Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Wow I completely disagree, and Chiarelli obviously does too. Kelly I wouldn't move until at least the off season..hes too valuable of a player/leader. Players like Spooner, while a great player, don't win you cups.

Only player (that would make a significant salary cap difference) I'd consider trading is Boychuk, and given that Seids and Chara will be on the same unit come playoff time..it means Hamilton/Krug on the 2nd pair, which is NOT good enough at the moment.

Both Kelly and Peverley were on the trading block in the offseason. Boston was able to find a partner for Peverley first, which pretty much assured Kelly was staying - at least for now.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
Both Kelly and Peverley were on the trading block in the offseason. Boston was able to find a partner for Peverley first, which pretty much assured Kelly was staying - at least for now.

We only heard about Peverley being on the block durring the trade deadline, if Kelly was mentioned in the offseason I don't remember it. A lot of people wanted Kelly gone for some reason and made ttrades with him, but was he ever in a legit roumor?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The third line has been the most consistent and solid line since the start of the season, despite A. Soderberg missing games at the start of the season with injury and B. Smith filling in on the second line with the absence of Eriksson. The one constant has been Kelly at center.

That alone is worth the discussion. The production of that line (which has been more productive than the second line), and the heaping praise for Reilly Smith, who appears to be a real gamer, and Soderberg showing a level of comfort some of us didn't expect needs to at least somewhat be attributed to playing with a veteran center who understands the system. Again....the little things that don't come across in a box score.

The success and failure of these guys don't exist in a vacuum (again, as much as some folks like to look at individual stats as the sole indicator of success). If Bergeron, Marchand and Eriksson are all struggling as a line, we look at them collectively. If Kelly, Smith, and Soderberg are succeeding as a line......guess what....we look at them collectively, and right now, that line is playing above what we all expected.

Well worth the discussion.

Anyone who knows Kelly knows he isn't the player that he showed last year. The entire third line was a gong show for a few reasons, two being both Kelly and Peverley had career worst years at the same time, and the other being they didn't have a serviceable player to play alongside them for a long time. Did anyone really expect the third line to be as bad as it was last year?

When Kelly's on his game, he's one of the better third line centers out there. The third line has been good to start the year and we should expect it to be good.

Anyone can make discussion threads for whatever reason, but it strikes me as a weird time to make one for Kelly. He's doing his job out there. He's not scoring at a 20-goal pace or anything, he's simply been his usual solid self. He has a career that dates back past last year.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Anyone who knows Kelly knows he isn't the player that he showed last year. The entire third line was a gong show for a few reasons, two being both Kelly and Peverley had career worst years at the same time, and the other being they didn't have a serviceable player to play alongside them for a long time. Did anyone really expect the third line to be as bad as it was last year?

When Kelly's on his game, he's one of the better third line centers out there. The third line has been good to start the year and we should expect it to be good.

Anyone can make discussion threads for whatever reason, but it strikes me as a weird time to make one for Kelly. He's doing his job out there. He's not scoring at a 20-goal pace or anything, he's simply been his usual solid self. He has a career that dates back past last year.

That's why I made the thread. Kelly's doing his job out there and is dramatically better than last season and that's what people should be focusing on instead of coming up with ridiculous reasons to get rid of him.

People need to get over the fact that he will be on this team for a long while.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006

I disagree. He's been the 9th best forward and plays the spot of our best prospect. If anyone deserves a discussion thread right now, it's Chris Kelly (and possibly Loui Eriksson given who he was traded for).

I'm actually not sure that last year isn't the player he will be, which is important. It's very possible the player he was prior to last season, isn't the player he will be. He's 33 and plays a grinder's game. In fact, this season for him has looked much more like last season than his previous versions. He's generating less than a shot on goal a game, despite the fact that he gets regular minutes and has played with linemates that are offensively oriented (both Soderberg and Smith are tremendous passers). He's also below 50% on the dot for the year.

Could he recover? Absolutely, he's a solid veteran after all. But this is not the Chris Kelly that as you said, was one of the better 3rd centers in the league.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
That's why I made the thread. Kelly's doing his job out there and is dramatically better than last season and that's what people should be focusing on instead of coming up with ridiculous reasons to get rid of him.

I would not be surprised one bit if he's not on this team next season. I like him as a player, but I can see the Bruins trying to move him after this season for cap room

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I wonder what would happen, Ali, if this happens to not be the case.

I like Kelly in his place right now. And even when Spooner was up, liked how it looked WITH Kelly on the line. I think Smith has found a place on the team playing with these two... And I think Yeti is coming around nicely too.

But one could definitely make a case for replacing Kelly when the cap is a little more crunched and some difficult decisions have to be made. I'm sure you can recognize that as well.

Is there an unpopular move that you would make in lieu of replacing Kelly for a player half his salary next season? Or rather, who would you rather see replaced that could save the B's a decent amount of cap space?

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I would not be surprised one bit if he's not on this team next season. I like him as a player, but I can see the Bruins trying to move him after this season for cap room

I believe Chiarelli, and his B's teammates like having Kelly on the team. Everything I've read and heard about him both here and in Ottawa is he's a team first guy and true leader.

I could see Kelly on the team and I can see him being moved. I think it depends on how much the cap goes up next season and if Chiarelli can or wants to resign Iginla.

Spooner is a potential replacement for Kelly. Spooner, is as close to being NHL ready as one can be, but there isn't a spot for him on this team. But I think moving Kelly just to get Spooner in the lineup is silly.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
I believe Chiarelli, and his B's teammates like having Kelly on the team. Everything I've read and heard about him both here and in Ottawa is he's a team first guy and true leader.

I could see Kelly on the team and I can see him being moved. I think it depends on how much the cap goes up next season and if Chiarelli can or wants to resign Iginla.

Spooner is a potential replacement for Kelly. Spooner, is as close to being NHL ready as one can be, but there isn't a spot for him on this team. But I think moving Kelly just to get Spooner in the lineup is silly.

Moving a player that's now had a subpar 73 games to make room for your best prospect is silly?

2012-13 34 3-6-9 -8
Playoffs 22 2-1-3 -7
2013-14 17 3-2-5 +2
Total 73 8-9-17 -13

That's a -13 on one of the best +/- teams in the league over that span. He makes $3m. Chiarelli and Claude love him, but they signed him to that contract before that 73 game span happened, and before Spooner played regularly in the AHL, and before the cap went down. His FO% is down this year. His production if anything has been WORSE this season, because his linemates have been better and his shooting percentage is unsustainably high, unlike last year where he was snake bit a little. This is a player in decline.

Mr. M-B made a great point, every other player that makes significant cap $ is a much more valuable member of the roster. Rask, Chara, Bergeron, Lucic, Krejci, Eriksson, Seidenberg, Marchand, Boychuk, Iginla. You'd keep every single one of those players over Kelly by a wide margin. The only thing keeping him here IMO is his NTC (which demonstrates the foolishness of giving him one).

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island

I agree that moving Kelly out of the lineup JUST to get Spooner in the regular rotation is silly. If Kelly is moved down the line due to cap considerations, based on what Chia thinks is best for the team moving forward, then that's a different story.

Kelly is playing noticeably better this year, although one might argue that the 3rd line in general looks better so he may be the beneficiary of Smith and Soderberg becoming acclimated to both NHL hockey and the Bruins' team system.

He is expendable, but i'm not in any hurry to dump him. Although he is a little on the "overpaid" side... he does bring good intangibles and his play has improved from last year, whatever the reasons.

As Smith and Soderberg continue to get their feet wet on this team (and in the NHL as i stated)... i can see a scenario where both the aforementioned 3rd liners are comfortable enough where they are to give Spooner a shot a centering that 3rd line.

That does not automatically mean Chris Kelly must be gone for Spooner to get a shot, or at least a longer look of 5-10 games perhaps. It IS in the realm of possibilities that they are both on in the regular rotation simultaneously.

It would require making Thornton the 13th man and letting Kelly center the 4th line, with Campbell moving over to the wing opposite Paille. I've said this before, but it's worth repeating... IMO a Paille-Kelly-Campbell 4th line is significantly superior to a Paille-Campbell-Thornton 4th line.

If such a move were made when the time is right, we could see an improved 3rd line (at least offensively) with Spooner on it and an improved 4th line with Kelly on it.

This is all hypothetical and i doubt Claude would demote Kelly to 4th line, as he is a leader in the locker room, but it could possibly be an option worth considering for the future... especially if Thornton continues to be invisible.

I happen to believe Spooner deserves a bigger sample size to rate at the NHL level, given the flashes he showed in his two games on the B's this season. I just don't believe that time is now.

However, that time could be coming... or at least be somewhere on the horizon if Spooner continues to light up the AHL and Thornton continues to look like the 4th line's anchor.

Under the presumption that Spooner is ready to make fireworks with Soderberg and Smith some day soon... i think Paille and Campbell would both benefit from playing with Kelly instead of Thorty.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
I agree that moving Kelly out of the lineup JUST to get Spooner in the regular rotation is silly. If Kelly is moved down the line due to cap considerations, based on what Chia thinks is best for the team moving forward, then that's a different story.

Kelly is playing noticeably better this year, although one might argue that the 3rd line in general looks better so he may be the beneficiary of Smith and Soderberg becoming acclimated to both NHL hockey and the Bruins' team system.

He is expendable, but i'm not in any hurry to dump him. Although he is a little on the "overpaid" side... he does bring good intangibles and his play has improved from last year, whatever the reasons.

As Smith and Soderberg continue to get their feet wet on this team (and in the NHL as i stated)... i can see a scenario where both the aforementioned 3rd liners are comfortable enough where they are to give Spooner a shot a centering that 3rd line.

That does not automatically mean Chris Kelly must be gone for Spooner to get a shot, or at least a longer look of 5-10 games perhaps. It IS in the realm of possibilities that they are both on in the regular rotation simultaneously.

It would require making Thornton the 13th man and letting Kelly center the 4th line, with Campbell moving over to the wing opposite Paille. I've said this before, but it's worth repeating... IMO a Paille-Kelly-Campbell 4th line is significantly superior to a Paille-Campbell-Thornton 4th line.

If such a move were made when the time is right, we could see an improved 3rd line (at least offensively) with Spooner on it and an improved 4th line with Kelly on it.

This is all hypothetical and i doubt Claude would demote Kelly to 4th line, as he is a leader in the locker room, but it could possibly be an option worth considering for the future... especially if Thornton continues to be invisible.

I happen to believe Spooner deserves a bigger sample size to rate at the NHL level, given the flashes he showed in his two games on the B's this season. I just don't believe that time is now.

However, that time could be coming... or at least be somewhere on the horizon if Spooner continues to light up the AHL and Thornton continues to look like the 4th line's anchor.

Under the presumption that Spooner is ready to make fireworks with Soderberg and Smith some day soon... i think Paille and Campbell would both benefit from playing with Kelly instead of Thorty.

There's a thread for this (the Ryan Spooner thread), but I'd like to hear your reasoning behind the bolded there. Because I feel pretty strongly about the exact opposite point of view.

In terms of the player in question. Just off hand, given the fact that Krug and Hamilton are young defensemen who are offensively minded, I think the best use of the cap for this particular playoff run is to move Kelly, and upgrade over McQuaid. Basically I think they need another Seidenberg type for the playoff run in light of what happened after 3OT G1 with Chara and Seids. The Bruins were somewhat fortunate last year during the playoffs that they went through the Rangers and Penguins in 9 games. If the 2nd series had given them a bit more trouble, I wonder how Chara would hold up playing all of those minutes, and I think we need someone who doesn't need to be sheltered to fill that role without taking the dynamics of Krug and Dougie out.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's always interesting to me how some players will have a relatively short stretch of sub par hockey and you see trade threads pop up, and other guys have prolonged runs of poor play and people jump to their defense. In this case, Brad Marchand comes to mind for the former, and Chris Kelly comes to mind for the latter.

You know what the difference between Chris Kelly and a bank robber is? A robber wears a mask. Chris Kelly's play has been suspect for nearly two years now. I can't see how anyone can still justify it, but yet it happens. He's a grossly overpaid penalty killer. You don't over spend to keep guys like that. You replace them with a far cheaper alternative. This is the reason why we're up against the cap. PC has overpaid the bottom 6, and that's how you end up in cap jail.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

I think Kelly is playing much better than last season. As long as that 3rd line is performing as a unit, there's no need to look at replacements (internally or externally).

I just have concerns about his ability to keep that 3rd line potent offensively. He's not particularly good at distributing the puck and he's been struggling to get his shot off for two years now. Offensive production from the 3rd line is key for this team.

Kelly is not the 20/20 two-way 3rd line center he was in the Bruins cup run or following season. He's a 33 year old, $3M/per, defensive center. That's what he was before coming to the Bruins. Now he's a few years older, a few steps slower, and a few million dollars richer. Still a good player and big part of this team. You know you're getting an elite defensive player who wins faceoffs and is a proven leader on and off the ice. Right now that's working for the 3rd line and they're playing great hockey. If it starts to slip, I hope the 3C spot is quickly addressed.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Figured it was time to make a thread on this board's favorite compliance buyout candidate.

Top Reasons to keep Chris Kelly:

1. Unique Skillset:

Will give you 12+ goals per season in a checking role
#2 PKer on team. Is on 1st unit with Patrice Bergeron
Only Bruin who can successfully play all 3 forward positions up and down the lineup
Solid at the faceoff dot. Maintains a FO% of 50 or better throughout the season.

2. Leadership:

Alternate Captain in Boston since 2011.
Alternate Captain in Ottawa when injuries arose
2 Seasons as Captain in Binghamton (AHL)

3. Experience:

10 years in NHL - Drafted 94th (4th round) overall in 1999
3 Stanley Cup Finals appearances – 2007 (Ottawa, L in 5 games), 2011 (Boston, W in 7 games), 2013 (Boston, L in 6 games).
5 years in OHL
3 Years in AHL

lol @ buying him out? whos dumb idea was that. he is 1.tradable. 2.a really solid utility player. 3. he likes to hit when he can.

sounds like a bruin to me.;)

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
There's a thread for this (the Ryan Spooner thread), but I'd like to hear your reasoning behind the bolded there. Because I feel pretty strongly about the exact opposite point of view.

In terms of the player in question. Just off hand, given the fact that Krug and Hamilton are young defensemen who are offensively minded, I think the best use of the cap for this particular playoff run is to move Kelly, and upgrade over McQuaid. Basically I think they need another Seidenberg type for the playoff run in light of what happened after 3OT G1 with Chara and Seids. The Bruins were somewhat fortunate last year during the playoffs that they went through the Rangers and Penguins in 9 games. If the 2nd series had given them a bit more trouble, I wonder how Chara would hold up playing all of those minutes, and I think we need someone who doesn't need to be sheltered to fill that role without taking the dynamics of Krug and Dougie out.

My main point starting out was that sending Kelly packing is not a prerequisite for finding a spot to put Spooner on the roster, even if temporarily. Hence my suggestion that, when the time is right, Kelly centers the 4th line and an aging, step-slow Thornton becomes the 13th man.

But you ask my reasoning??

It's simple. While i like their NHL progress thus far -- and as linemates they've only just begun to click -- i am not sure if Soderberg and Smith (as much as i like them on the 3rd line with Kelly right now) are strong enough fixtures on this roster to have a 21-year-old prospect center their line.

I think Kelly is the perfect guy to help both Smith and Soderberg get acclimated to the B's/Clod's system. It would probably do both 3rd line wingers some good to continue playing with Kelly for the time being.

But you should be able to see from my comment that i am also high on Spooner, and i think his time is coming. I just don't know when he'll get the chance or IF he should get the chance just yet given what i just mentioned regarding Soderberg/Smith.

Maybe things are already in place for the hypothetical "Triple-S Line" to succeed and be a quality, if not top 3rd line in the NHL. Then again, maybe its best we exercise a bit of patience before penciling in that Triple-S line.

I want to see that S-S-S line in the future. It is up to Chia exactly when it happens. And don't forget, this would mean demoting a highly-respected team leader to the 4th line... even if it could possibly prove (at least in the long run) to be an improvement for BOTH the 3rd and 4th lines.

We'll see what happens. My guess is that Chia and Co. are closely monitoring the progress of both Smith and Soderberg at the NHL level, perhaps waiting for the right time to give Spooner "the keys to the car".

If/when Spooner is called up again, i hope he centers that 3rd line as opposed to the 4th line. IMO it would be much better for his development.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
My main point starting out was that sending Kelly packing is not a prerequisite for finding a spot to put Spooner on the roster, even if temporarily. Hence my suggestion that, when the time is right, Kelly centers the 4th line and an aging, step-slow Thornton becomes the 13th man.

But you ask my reasoning??

It's simple. While i like their NHL progress thus far -- and as linemates they've only just begun to click -- i am not sure if Soderberg and Smith (as much as i like them on the 3rd line with Kelly right now) are strong enough fixtures on this roster to have a 21-year-old prospect center their line.

I think Kelly is the perfect guy to help both Smith and Soderberg get acclimated to the B's/Clod's system. It would probably do both 3rd line wingers some good to continue playing with Kelly for the time being.

But you should be able to see from my comment that i am also high on Spooner, and i think his time is coming. I just don't know when he'll get the chance or IF he should get the chance just yet given what i just mentioned regarding Soderberg/Smith.

Maybe things are already in place for the hypothetical "Triple-S Line" to succeed and be a quality, if not top 3rd line in the NHL. Then again, maybe its best we exercise a bit of patience before penciling in that Triple-S line.

I want to see that S-S-S line in the future. It is up to Chia exactly when it happens. And don't forget, this would mean demoting a highly-respected team leader to the 4th line... even if it could possibly prove (at least in the long run) to be an improvement for BOTH the 3rd and 4th lines.

We'll see what happens. My guess is that Chia and Co. are closely monitoring the progress of both Smith and Soderberg at the NHL level, perhaps waiting for the right time to give Spooner "the keys to the car".

If/when Spooner is called up again, i hope he centers that 3rd line as opposed to the 4th line. IMO it would be much better for his development.

I just don't see what patience gets you in this instance. All it does is give you a smaller sample size before the deadline with which to properly evaluate your team before the playoffs. Kelly is what he is at this point. The 2011-12 ship has sailed. His production rates are falling (not increasing like some believe this year). The good thing is, you could move him to the 4th line and then back if the 3S experiment doesn't work. And honestly, I think that the Soderberg/Smith inexperience card is a lazy one, if they're that concerned with Spooner being next to another rookie, move Eriksson to a line with his countryman, and move Smith up where his playmaking will fit in nicely with volume shooters Bergeron and Marchand.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
I just don't see what patience gets you in this instance. All it does is give you a smaller sample size before the deadline with which to properly evaluate your team before the playoffs. Kelly is what he is at this point. The 2011-12 ship has sailed. His production rates are falling (not increasing like some believe this year). The good thing is, you could move him to the 4th line and then back if the 3S experiment doesn't work. And honestly, I think that the Soderberg/Smith inexperience card is a lazy one, if they're that concerned with Spooner being next to another rookie, move Eriksson to a line with his countryman, and move Smith up where his playmaking will fit in nicely with volume shooters Bergeron and Marchand.

The bold is a point i have brought up myself more than once, in the Spooner thread and elsewhere. I see where you are coming from, i am just taking Julien's rationale into consideration as well.

Clod does seem stubbornly intent on keeping the Marchy-Bergy-Loui together no matter what... maybe Chia doesn't want people thinking the primary piece we got in return for Seguin is a 3rd liner, who knows??

Given that i do not believe Clod will put Eriksson on that 3rd line, and move Kelly down the 4th, in order to make way for Spooner... this is why i just don't see it happening yet.

There has to be an odd man out and that will/should be Thornton. In a certain sense, Spooner's promotion to the NHL is very much dependent on when Clod is ready to tell Thorty "thanks for everything you've done, but 13th forward is your best role on this team moving forward".

Aside from injuries, only taking Thornton out of the regular rotation (at least temporarily) can make way for ANY potential line shake-ups necessary to fit Spooner into the lineup. Only then could Kelly be moved to 4th line center and Spooner can center the 3rd line along with whoever Clod decides.

That day may be coming sooner rather than later, and i hope we see more of Spooner. The writing is on the wall for Thornton, but we have to wait and see when the B's make Thorty 13th man to make way for Spooner.

Since i doubt Loui will be demoted to 3rd line, and Marchand doesn't like playing off-wing, i think the "Triple-S" line is the most likely scenario. That being said, Clod might just waiting a little longer for Soderberg and Smith to get used to the B's system while they also get their NHL feet wet.

I don't think of that as a lazy argument. In fact many people on this board agree that it may be a bit too soon for that S-S-S line.

But make no mistake, i am very high on Spooner and i really WANT to see him on this Bruins team almost as much as you do. But there are a lot of other considerations that must be made for this to happen, ultimately.

It's not like Spooner is going anywhere fast. He will be called up again at some point.

But, as i said, somebody on the roster has to be the odd man out, and Clod has to be willing to put Kelly on the 4th line -- centering a "New Merlot", a move which i think would be good for both Paille and Campbell -- for Spooner to get a real shot.

We shall see.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

They all liked having Ference on the team too, but sometimes you have to move on from players no matter how much you like them.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
The bold is a point i have brought up myself more than once, in the Spooner thread and elsewhere. I see where you are coming from, i am just taking Julien's rationale into consideration as well.

Clod does seem stubbornly intent on keeping the Marchy-Bergy-Loui together no matter what... maybe Chia doesn't want people thinking the primary piece we got in return for Seguin is a 3rd liner, who knows??

Given that i do not believe Clod will put Eriksson on that 3rd line, and move Kelly down the 4th, in order to make way for Spooner... this is why i just don't see it happening yet.

There has to be an odd man out and that will/should be Thornton. In a certain sense, Spooner's promotion to the NHL is very much dependent on when Clod is ready to tell Thorty "thanks for everything you've done, but 13th forward is your best role on this team moving forward".

Aside from injuries, only taking Thornton out of the regular rotation (at least temporarily) can make way for ANY potential line shake-ups necessary to fit Spooner into the lineup. Only then could Kelly be moved to 4th line center and Spooner can center the 3rd line along with whoever Clod decides.

That day may be coming sooner rather than later, and i hope we see more of Spooner. The writing is on the wall for Thornton, but we have to wait and see when the B's make Thorty 13th man to make way for Spooner.

Since i doubt Loui will be demoted to 3rd line, and Marchand doesn't like playing off-wing, i think the "Triple-S" line is the most likely scenario. That being said, Clod might just waiting a little longer for Soderberg and Smith to get used to the B's system while they also get their NHL feet wet.

I don't think of that as a lazy argument. In fact many people on this board agree that it may be a bit too soon for that S-S-S line.

But make no mistake, i am very high on Spooner and i really WANT to see him on this Bruins team almost as much as you do. But there are a lot of other considerations that must be made for this to happen, ultimately.

It's not like Spooner is going anywhere fast. He will be called up again at some point.

But, as i said, somebody on the roster has to be the odd man out, and Clod has to be willing to put Kelly on the 4th line -- centering a "New Merlot", a move which i think would be good for both Paille and Campbell -- for Spooner to get a real shot.

We shall see.

Sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate your argument was lazy. I think from the team standpoint it is. It's "not rock the boat mentality". I think the book is out on AHL Spooner, 3rd line Kelly, and NHL Thornton. My contention is that they're waiting just for the sake of being patient and respecting their vets, not because they feel there's any benefit to it. That's what I think is lazy. These guys are pros, every one of them has been told that they aren't good enough for something at some point.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
We only heard about Peverley being on the block durring the trade deadline, if Kelly was mentioned in the offseason I don't remember it. A lot of people wanted Kelly gone for some reason and made ttrades with him, but was he ever in a legit roumor?

Yes. The rumors of the B's shopping him this summer came from Kevin Dupont who, love him or hate him, is about as legit as it gets.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

I'd also be surprised if Kelly is on the team in September 2014.

Nothing against Kelly, he's a terrific role player, a leader and an integral member of two Cup runs, but like you said, so was Ference. He was moved because the B's had a budding star in Torey Krug knocking on the door, and the same dynamic is happening with Kelly and Spooner. Circle of life.

member 96824

They were looking to clear the cash..didn't matter which they sold off that dreadful 3rd line last year.

Peverley was easier to move because he has that 40-50 point potential while bringing many other intangibles. Kelly is a little tougher to move because most teams already have a player like Kelly, many times cheaper too

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
I'd also be surprised if Kelly is on the team in September 2014.

Nothing against Kelly, he's a terrific role player, a leader and an integral member of two Cup runs, but like you said, so was Ference. He was moved because the B's had a budding star in Torey Krug knocking on the door, and the same dynamic is happening with Kelly and Spooner. Circle of life.

Sorry Bill, he wasn't even approaching integral last spring.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta

I like the idea of using Thornton as the 13th forward, or throwing him in there against the odd team with a goon. The 4th line and Thornton just haven't been good, and are getting out played by other teams' forth lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad