Speculation: Chris Johnston: Panthers ownership gives Tallon directive to cut 10 million in salary for next year

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
well, look - they'll be fired soon anyway if ownership ties their hands.

idk, just wondering how this was discussed considering the historical instability of this franchise's ownership and the impact it's had on the on-ice product.

Being fired is extremely preferable to quitting when you are a decision-maker for a pro sports franchise. If you quit, you don't get another dime, and in fact, may f*** yourself over on future employment. If you get fired, you collect the balance and you either retire or take another job.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Is this Johnston person at all reliable?? It sounds waayyy more like total random speculation that doesn’t even fit anything said by the owner or Tallon this season.
:huh:

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Is this Johnston person at all reliable?? It sounds waayyy more like total random speculation that doesn’t even fit anything said by the owner or Tallon this season.
:huh:

My opinion, you do not bring in a coach, pay him the 2nd most in the league (highest now), and make all those moves player wise, just to ask for $10 million back now. IF they make the playoffs, and stun in the first round, they can make a good portion of that money back. I think its just Canadian banter from a moron who has no clue or connection to the team.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I am not a fan of Johnson at all. Purely Toronto reporter. Don't know how he even got any credibility to be on TV in the first place.

Every time I see him reporting, I picture he is probably standing there with no pants on because the camera won't catch it. [mod]
The guy is just weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 16Skippy

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I am not a fan of Johnson at all. Purely Toronto reporter. Don't know how he even got any credibility to be on TV in the first place.
You're right that he's mainly a Leafs guy, but he's broken stuff from other teams too on a regular basis. I'm trying to think of who the player was, but IIRC he broke a Panthers trade a couple years ago too?

But as has been pointed out by others already, GMs and other team personnel often use the media as a tool, whether the information they're giving is correct or not. This could be a case where someone (assistant GM?) wants to put outside pressure on ownership not to cut salary, before they even get around to thinking about doing it.

It's odd that none of the other well known insiders mentioned it.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
I genuinely am beginning to believe that the Bobrovsky signing will doom this franchise, and that it very well may trigger a series of events that lead to the sale and relocation of the Panthers.

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
I genuinely am beginning to believe that the Bobrovsky signing will doom this franchise, and that it very well may trigger a series of events that lead to the sale and relocation of the Panthers.

It's a dire and depressing thought, but you're not alone in entertaining that notion. Tough to get out from under 70 million dollars of dead weight when you were struggling financially to begin with.

Reactions: Haj and Clint

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I think if this team gets relocated they always planned to do it to make more money off of it

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
You know what ticks me off, is that this Johnson guy was in the building last night and we have yet to hear anything further on this story. You'd think if the story had any traction to it at all, he would have elaborated on it last night.

I'm starting to think he made it up in hopes it deflates the Panthers in their head-to-head playoff stretch run against the Leafs. He probably damn well knew it was Toronto at Florida last night, and that the building would be packed with Leaf fans. What better narrative to have than a struggling franchise, again, that needs to cut payroll. It just makes no sense.

The whole story really angers me as I feel like he just made the whole thing up.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
You know what ticks me off, is that this Johnson guy was in the building last night and we have yet to hear anything further on this story. You'd think if the story had any traction to it at all, he would have elaborated on it last night.

I'm starting to think he made it up in hopes it deflates the Panthers in their head-to-head playoff stretch run against the Leafs. He probably damn well knew it was Toronto at Florida last night, and that the building would be packed with Leaf fans. What better narrative to have than a struggling franchise, again, that needs to cut payroll. It just makes no sense.

The whole story really angers me as I feel like he just made the whole thing up.
He's a f***ing baby faced idiot that sucks at his job. I use to work closely with him at the Fan 590 here in Toronto, he's a wannabe insider that very few respect.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
He's a f***ing baby faced idiot that sucks at his job. I use to work closely with him at the Fan 590 here in Toronto, he's a wannabe insider that very few respect.

But I don't get why someone with credentials hasn't called him on his shit. Perfect opportunity last night, but I doubt it was done.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
But I don't get why someone with credentials hasn't called him on his shit. Perfect opportunity last night, but I doubt it was done.

My guess is because all the major media personalities are not as knowledgeable as they all pretend to be, we've all seen their terrible takes on the Panthers over the years. And to be fair to them, there is no way any one person can be an expert on all 31 teams and 700+ players, that's just not possible, but they have to make it seem like they can be or the illusion is gone.

So they all keep pretending and it only works if they don't call each other out because once that starts it won't stop, tit-for-tat and all that. If that happens the whole illusion of all knowing hockey (or any sport) experts gets torn down and that threatens their collective livelihood. So it's better to just play nice and not call each other out.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
My guess is because all the major media personalities are not as knowledgeable as they all pretend to be, we've all seen their terrible takes on the Panthers over the years. And to be fair to them, there is no way any one person can be an expert on all 31 teams and 700+ players, that's just not possible, but they have to make it seem like they can be or the illusion is gone.

So they all keep pretending and it only works if they don't call each other out because once that starts it won't stop, tit-for-tat and all that. If that happens the whole illusion of all knowing hockey (or any sport) experts gets torn down and that threatens their collective livelihood. So it's better to just play nice and not call each other out.

That's true, I see it as sort of an arms race. Why call someone out and cause a stir when it doesn't directly benefit you? Better not to rock the boat.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

Has GR said anything about it yet?

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
Even if it’s true, I don’t think it’s a big deal. May be better to get the players on cheap deals who are fighting for their last shot in the NHL instead of a bunch of comfortable big money guys.

I agree with you, which is astounding. I think it goes to show what a group of absolutely heartless bums this team is icing right now that they're probably the most talented roster this franchise has ever had, and they're performing worse than even some of the real scrapheap teams we've seen in the past.

Reactions: RainingRats

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Hopefully “cutting salary” just means doing anything possible to dump matheson and yandle.

Huberdeau-Barkov-???
Connolly-???-Tippett
Vatrano-Walmark-Acciari

is an extremely cheap/cap conscious forward group. Without Yandle or matheson, it’ll just be Ekblad and stralman, plus bob of course, making the rest of the money. Weegar and stillman are cheap.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Cutting salary would mean we have to pass on Dadonov, if their is no Money. Buy Out Yandle and im done with Matheson other still wanna give him a Chance.
Pysyk more or less not get re-signed. he would cost to much for 4th Line Time, only option sign him out the Date or with the Tryout option. But i guess some othere will him pick up before that happens.

With Dadonov, Buy Yandle, and Pysyk gone, their would be room and cap for addition on Position we need.

And this Offseason a lot of Defensman get Free Agents.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Well, I don’t know if they’ll cut expenses, but I’ll do my part of helping them reduce revenues.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Don't believe the salary cut. Do believe there's a strong chance Tallon will get let go. Not acquiring what this team needed at the deadline and then seeing the team miss the playoffs will be the last strikes against him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad