Speculation: Chris Johnston: Panthers ownership gives Tallon directive to cut 10 million in salary for next year

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I want to believe this isn't true, but past experience has taught me otherwise. It's not whether or not we actually spend to the cap that is the issue. It's whether or not the HOCKEY PEOPLE think we should be spending to the cap to ice a competitive team. I couldn't give two shits how much we actually spend if our team is competitive. But if this is a directive from ownership, then this team is screwed just like in the past with all the ownership crap we've had to deal with. In reality, we'll never know the truth, but I'm past giving this team the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: WaitingForThatCab

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Where did you hear that they are walking?

GR said on his appearance on 790 The Ticket that they are meeting with Hoffman's agent when they get back to FLA.

Just people here stirring the pot because Dale didn’t trade for a Dman, or move Hoff or Dads for picks. Just stupid crap sometimes. A clearer indication for this would be Dale moving Dads and/or Hoff for picks. GR said he hadn’t heard anything regarding that, and I’m sure he’d know more than these assholes trying to crap on our non-traditional team. And like you mentioned, they will continue contract talks with Hoffs agent when they get back to Florida.

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
Just take a moment and walk in the shoes of Viola and Cifu - wouldn't you want to save 10 million of your dollars after opening the bank for Bob and these other less than hopefuls? Would you?
It's easy to to sit here and scream about someone else's purse.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Just take a moment and walk in the shoes of Viola and Cifu - wouldn't you want to save 10 million of your dollars after opening the bank for Bob and these other less than hopefuls? Would you?

I find this a poor argument. If these guys didn't want to spend their jerk-off money they got from gaming oil futures during wartime and high-frequency trading shenanigans, then they shouldn't have purchased a struggling NHL team.

Spend to the cap, or don't. Personally, I think if you're going to pay through the nose for a coach, it makes absolutely no sense to spend well under the cap. In fact, I would say that is pretty stupid.

I guess they thought that they'd spend some money, turn the team around quickly, put butts in seats, and make the franchise a lot more valuable either as a long term asset or for an eventual flip. The 'winning' part hasn't materialized, so I suspect that they are moving on to plan B: extracting as much value as possible from the asset before liquidating it.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

I actually don't blame them. But it just shows that they aren't really in this like they said they were. I'd be worried about them trying to move the team in 2023. Especially with the team we're gonna ice next season if the budget cuts are true.

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
I would imagine that if this is true, Dale Tallon is toast after the season. He had to have sold ownership on 'this team is a good coach and a good goalie away from competing and being a contender for years' and after they spent an obscene amount of money on a coach and a goalie, the team still sucks. That's one guy whose job security curve is rapidly passing zero and approaching negative infinity.

Reactions: RainingRats

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

To me it would seem extremely short sighted to open up the bank for one year and then when things don't go exactly liked planned, pose an internal cap again. Like, just pure stupid. No vision or strategic planning at all. Not to mention put the GM in a bind.

If this ends up being true, all the commitment etc. they've talked about will be proven to be nothing but bs.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
To me it would seem extremely short sighted to open up the bank for one year and then when things don't go exactly liked planned, pose an internal cap again. Like, just pure stupid. No vision or strategic planning at all. Not to mention put the GM in a bind.

If this ends up being true, all the commitment etc. they've talked about will be proven to be nothing but bs.
Where's Gallant? Point proven.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA

now Q may not be a savvy business person but you'd have to imagine he thought of these types of shenanigans and it was discussed and perhaps negotiated.

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Values of sports franchises go up. Hence, it doesn't matter whether they are profitable or not. It's much more important to try to become successful on ice. The only period when you should save in salaries, is when you really suck and rebuild like what the situation is now in Ottawa or what it was in Arizona or Colorado few years ago. Florida has so many pieces in place in the puzzle right now that it would be absolutely insane if they would try to save money now.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
now Q may not be a savvy business person but you'd have to imagine he thought of these types of shenanigans and it was discussed and perhaps negotiated.

What do you mean by that? If the owners sold Q on coming here based on sweet nothings and then turn around the next year to slash spending, there's nothing Q can do about it. I doubt there's some stipulation in his contract that says the team must spend a certain amount of money.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

Yeah ok, I'll walk in their shoes for a moment. I'm worth >$1B, own a hockey franchise that just underperformed in the first season after going all out on spending. I could either A) go with the short-sighted route and demand spending is cut by $10M (which is <1% of my net worth btw) or B) stick with a plan for more than 12 months and see it through.

Well if I'm in it only for the money, view this as strictly business, and looking to maybe sell the team, I choose option A. If I'm owning a franchise because I want it to succeed, build a fan community and have sustained success, I choose option B. I also choose option A if I'm a moron.

Reactions: zeroG

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
What do you mean by that? If the owners sold Q on coming here based on sweet nothings and then turn around the next year to slash spending, there's nothing Q can do about it. I doubt there's some stipulation in his contract that says the team must spend a certain amount of money.

maybe, dale and Q tell ownership, "i got Q down here to try to help you put a winning product on the ice and help you make money. if you try to handcuff us, we're walking away leaving you holding the bag". threaten them with shame.

just a thought.

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
If this is true, ownership hasn't learned it's lesson. They've done this once already (let Rowe spend, only for Dale to cut) and how did that pan out (expansion draft)?

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
maybe, dale and Q tell ownership, "i got Q down here to try to help you put a winning product on the ice and help you make money. if you try to handcuff us, we're walking away leaving you holding the bag". threaten them with shame.

just a thought.

Odds of two old men walking away from highly lucrative contracts that guarantee payment of the balance if they get terminated for poor performance? Zero point zero.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Odds of two old men walking away from highly lucrative contracts that guarantee payment of the balance if they get terminated for poor performance? Zero point zero.

well, look - they'll be fired soon anyway if ownership ties their hands.

idk, just wondering how this was discussed considering the historical instability of this franchise's ownership and the impact it's had on the on-ice product.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad