Speculation: Chris Johnston: Panthers ownership gives Tallon directive to cut 10 million in salary for next year

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
LOL this rumour is on a 24-month cycle.

And, you know what, there's plenty of teams who spend less than us right now that are performing much better so maybe it's not a bad thing, if true.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
It'll never happen, but if some GM offers to take on Bobrovsky's contract and he's willing to waive the NMC I move him in a heartbeat. It hasn't worked here and I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Reactions: I am not exposed

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I mean if they stay put next offseason FA, or trade salary for salary and replace either Dads or Hoff with Tippett I would ok with that.

If they let Haula leave, don't bother with signing another center that can support a 2nd line and bank all their eggs on Borgstrom, well then next year could go south asap.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
It'll never happen, but if some GM offers to take on Bobrovsky's contract and he's willing to waive the NMC I move him in a heartbeat. It hasn't worked here and I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

We're stuck with this guy for the foreseeable future, I would just accept it at this point.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
If this is true, just sell the team Viola & Cifu. You can't flip flop like this as an NHL team owner and then be disappointed when the team doesn't do well/make the playoffs.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
If this is true then back to the dark ages it is. Would make zero sense to spend all the money last summer and then do this but that's the Panthers way so wouldn't be surprised.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
If this is true, just sell the team Viola & Cifu. You can't flip flop like this as an NHL team owner and then be disappointed when the team doesn't do well/make the playoffs.
They have 0 reasons to sell now instead of waiting for 2023 when they can leave the BB&T. If the NHL allows a move, the franchise with relocation will be worth a lot more than the franchise in Sunrise losing over 15M a year.

catscatscats

Oct 26, 2006
Boynton Beach
If it's true maybe it's a pressure move to force Tallon to keep the team in the race but also free up room for his successor this summer. Or you can go foil hat and say the Virtu boys are just being cautious. But we hear these rumors all the time. It's annoying.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Considering the math of the day with Haula, Dads and Hoff walking.... Is there any doubt this is true?

Also the bigger thing here obviously is if this means that we're back to being 10M under the cap. Our owners truly are a bunch of morons if that's the case. First let Dale spend huge money on a big time FA and then a year later cut the budget so that deal will hamstring the team immediately. What was the deal, win the cup or else you need to shed salary again? :facepalm:

If this ends up happening it's time to put the team on the back burner permanently.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I believe this is probably true. They spent to the cap this season because they wanted to build hype, try to win, and bank on increased revenue from better interest in a winning team. When the wins don't materialize...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad