Rumor: Chris Johnson & Elliott Friedman's "big name or big promise" mystery player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I'm partial to grabbing dvrorak.
Get him moving on a Marner, Tavares line as a person who starts subbing in as center while Tavares is transitioned to wing.

Reactions: sbpointer

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
If chances of Eichel getting healthy are good you do a Marner swap with no questions asked.

Eichel-Matthews for 10 years would be absolutely incredible.
Zero chance they grab Eichel with 2 top centers let alone for a better player.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I agree, but if we're talking about a rental, it's a whole different ball game. When the Jackets and Preds swapped Johansen for Jones, neither were rentals, and both were acquired to become long-term franchise pieces.

The entire Jones trade market hinges on his willingness to entertain an extension with the team who acquires him. I don't see any team willing to go all-in on Jones without a verbal commitment.

The biggest hurdles the Leafs will face in acquiring Jones (as a rental) will likely be the Flyers or Avs -- two teams who absolutely need Jones plus have the assets to acquire him, even as a rental.
Yep.

Jones is a one year rental. How much does a 1 year, top D rental cost? My guess is that the Flyers would want Sandin or Lily and 1 more piece.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
1) Click bait

2) Shanny said the big 4 are not being moved.

3) This relates back to point #2 , Cap space anyone? are we are going to have 7 players making 11 mil, playing 45 minutes a night and no one in goal?

4) This mystery team that is going to give up this mega difference maker / big player has no need for a mega difference maker / big player...?

Kyle you've traded away our 2021 1st, 3rd, 4th, 7th our 2022 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th. we have no goalie prospects, very few near ready good forward prospects, Robertson was to say the least did not adjust well last year to the speed after his injury. This team should be graduating the next wave of prospects next season. Sandin looked human in the playoffs , Lilly was no where to be seen. I sense a time where Dubas/Shanny panic and start dumping good prospects, he's traded 8 of our next 14 picks in the next 2 drafts, where else can he go if he is not going to trade the big 4 and has little capital in picks.

One guy that would be a nuclear explosion on our team would be Matthew Tkachuk but Calgary is not trading him and I doubt we have the trade capital if we are not including one of the big 4.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
1) Click bait

3) This relates back to point #2 , Cap space anyone? are we are going to have 7 players making 11 mil, playing 45 minutes a night and no one in goal?

4) This mystery team that is going to give up this mega difference maker / big player has no need for a mega difference maker / big player...?

Kyle you've traded away our 2021 1st, 3rd, 4th, 7th our 2022 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th. we have no goalie prospects, very few near ready good forward prospects, Robertson was to say the least did not adjust well last year to the speed after his injury. This team should be graduating the next wave of prospects next season. Sandin looked human in the playoffs , Lilly was no where to be seen. I sense a time where Dubas/Shanny panic and start dumping good prospects, he's traded 8 of our next 14 picks in the next 2 drafts, where else can he go if he is not going to trade the big 4 and has little capital in picks.

One guy that would be a nuclear explosion on our team would be Matthew Tkachuk but Calgary is not trading him and I doubt we have the trade capital if we are not including one of the big 4.
I thought shanny was only talking about Marner and Matthews

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I thought shanny was only talking about Marner and Matthews

Nope he said they were not moving any of the big 4, we are going to get better but we are not trading anything valuable for it and we don't have sap space to play in the UFA market... Friedman and Johnson are sounding like some of the fantasy traders on this forum.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Nope he said they were not moving any of the big 4, we are going to get better but we are not trading anything valuable for it and we don't have sap space to play in the UFA market... Friedman and Johnson are sounding like some of the fantasy traders on this forum.
That makes me feel better. I dont think they should move any of them either.

Reactions: Menzinger

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Tavares won't stay a center throughout his contract. Stammer is already a winger.
Likely not but Tavares has always been a better centre than Stamkos. Stamkos never really even played centre for Tampa, when he was technically the centre he was typically paired with a winger who took most of the centre responsibilities in the defensive zone.

Reactions: DivInit23

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Likely not but Tavares has always been a better centre than Stamkos. Stamkos never really even played centre for Tampa, when he was technically the centre he was typically paired with a winger who took most of the centre responsibilities in the defensive zone.
Tavares is slowing down. That doesn't mean he wouldnt make a great winger.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Tavares is slowing down. That doesn't mean he wouldnt make a great winger.
I suspect it will be a slow transition, it's probably part of the reason they stapled Matthews-Marner and Tavares-Nylander together all year.

Nylander was typically the first guy back in transition and filled in for Tavares defensively a lot of the time. Much the same way when Matthews/Nylander played together, even though Matthews was always the "centre" in reality they pretty much split the centre responsibilities 50-50.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
That makes me feel better. I dont think they should move any of them either.

I don't take anything that a GM or Pres says at a year end presser as the gospel. If Wayne Gretzy can be traded, any of the big 4 can be traded. I think guy Lafleur was traded, Clark and Gilmour were traded. Anyone can be traded.

I love all 4 of the 40mil club but we cant possibly get better with increasing salaries and stagnant performance. Hyman and Rielly are both going to get a raise, who knows how much but both of those players have probably plateaued as point producers but yet we are going to pay them more? So if they plateau as point producers are they going to become , better goal suppressors that justifies a raise? Point is if we give more money to players who are not going to bring more how do we get better? IMO for the record Rielly and Hyman both deserve a raise but for the record those players making more money on the Leafs with $40 mil tied up in 4 players does not make sense for this team.

In the end you see the style of hockey that is winning in the playoffs, boring, clog up the middle, elite goaltending hockey. The type of hockey the Leafs play, 2 lines top heavy, does not translate well in the playoffs, there is no ice out there to be a free flowing razzle dazzle team. The high skill Oilers of the 80's has not been a model to win the cup for 40 years.

Last edited:

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
1) Click bait

To be fair, GM's will always say they wont be trading "player A" for various reasons, then proceed to trade them. You have to remember, you wont have any negotiating advantage if you're telling the media you're shopping a player

Reactions: geo25

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
To be fair, GM's will always say they wont be trading "player A" for various reasons, then proceed to trade them. You have to remember, you wont have any negotiating advantage if you're telling the media you're shopping a player
I’d agree, what they say in statements is meaningless. Not sure the negotiating advantage makes any sense though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad