Rumor: Chris Johnson & Elliott Friedman's "big name or big promise" mystery player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
Flyers recieve:
Marner
Rielly

Leafs recieve:
Provorov
Konecny
Patrick

Who says no?

Very interesting trade. But, there's a couple of things...

1. In order for Philly to sign off on this, they'd likely want to see if Rielly would be open to an extension and what type of dollars he's seeking, as the Flyers would be acquiring a ton of salary here.

2. I think Patrick is a dud, so this is basically a Marner plus Rielly for Konecny plus Provorov swap. I think Rielly and Provorov are about a wash and Marner is clearly better than Konecny -- by far -- but Konecny does bring an element to the table that we need.

Honestly, I'd rather keep Patrick as far away from the Leafs as possible, and see if Philly would entertain a Marner and Dermott for Konecny and Provorov swap as I think Provorov would help Rielly tremendously. They are both great #2 defensemen being forced into #1 roles. Together, we have a very good top-4 and half the D slots down and gets easier minutes to play.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Foligno was supposed to be a high character addition. As were Thornton, Nash, Hutton, Rittich, and Simmonds.

I'm not sure when it started, but there were reports last year that the Leafs had a terribly uncomfortable locker room situation. There was also a report that in the series against Columbus, players wouldn't respond to any trash talk and just took it. There's definitely huge concerns with the team from a cultural standpoint, and I'll bet we can guess why
Posting something like this without a source is complete nonsense. 99% of the time “reports” are just somebody else’s Uncle Rodney spouting off on Facebook and your buddy then says he heard someone say it, then it gets posted here.

If you’ve got a source for this, by all means post it. But if you don’t, then it’s intentionally poisoning the discourse. Out of all the shit about this team, uncomfortable dressing room is not something you’d expect. They guys act like they love each other. Problem is they don’t love winning hockey games more.

Reactions: geo25 and Azail

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's always loved Seth Jones.

“When it comes to defense: How do we get a Seth Jones? We have to pick in the top five or, going back to the Nashville trade, you have to trade Ryan Johansen for Seth Jones. Those types of trades don’t come along often.” -- Leafs GM Kyle Dubas

But Jones has had a pretty below-par season.

I think that's the only path to getting a Seth Jones - when he's coming off a terrible year and not a Norris win. What would it even cost? Rielly, Robertson, Amirov and picks?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I think that's the only path to getting a Seth Jones - when he's coming off a terrible year and not a Norris win. What would it even cost? Rielly, Robertson, Amirov and picks?

What was Seth Jones initially traded for when he came to Columbus?

That's likely the floor.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Feels like Friedman is making this up in order to contribute to Damage Control.

Trade rumours give us a glimmer of hope, but wholesale changes to the coaching and management team make us a little better.

I vote for this. I don't think EF knows a fckng thing. Even with Lou gone, the Leafs run a tight ship and the only information that gets out is what they want to get out. I also take Kyle and Brendan at their word. Really sounded to me that they were not moving one of the core... so how do they bring in another significant piece with term? No one is going to retain in that scenario. I call BS. Happy to be proven wrong if any of the off season moves are actually significant.

Reactions: Eric bungay

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

This might gut the team no? It's possible, but also a full on end to TOR's future?

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
What was Seth Jones initially traded for when he came to Columbus?

That's likely the floor.

Ryan Johansen.

This all comes down to this -- are we talking about a rental Seth Jones or an extended Seth Jones? Because the price Dubas (or any GM) will have to pay will be determined by this.

For a rental Jones, I think Dubas would be willing to put a blue chip like Robertson, a roster player like Dermott, and another prospect like Liljegren on the table -- IF he believes he can convince Jones to extended during the year.

For an extended Jones, I think Dubas is willing to move a Nylander+ ... or a package that includes both Robertson and Sandin+.

I don't think some people realize how great Seth Jones is. When he's on, he's one of the most dynamic, dominant D anchors on the planet. He can log 24+ a night and run a powerplay with ease. When he's at his best, he's not quite Victor Hedman but he's not that far off either.

Reactions: Bellzy

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Ryan Johansen.

This all comes down to this -- are we talking about a rental Seth Jones or an extended Seth Jones? Because the price Dubas (or any GM) will have to pay will be determined by this.

For a rental Jones, I think Dubas would be willing to put a blue chip like Robertson, a roster player like Dermott, and another prospect like Liljegren on the table -- IF he believes he can convince Jones to extended during the year.

For an extended Jones, I think Dubas is willing to move a Nylander+ ... or a package that includes both Robertson and Sandin+.

I don't think some people realize how great Seth Jones is. When he's on, he's one of the most dynamic, dominant D anchors on the planet. He can log 24+ a night and run a powerplay with ease. When he's at his best, he's not quite Victor Hedman but he's not that far off either.

Seems like the going price for a top young defenceman in the league is a centre of equivalent stature.

Not sure that's a price we can either afford or stomach.

Nylander doesn't buy you that calibre of defenceman IMO.

Reactions: binop7

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
Seems like the going price for a top young defenceman in the league is a centre of equivalent stature.

Not sure that's a price we can either afford or stomach.

Nylander doesn't buy you that calibre of defenceman IMO.

I agree, but if we're talking about a rental, it's a whole different ball game. When the Jackets and Preds swapped Johansen for Jones, neither were rentals, and both were acquired to become long-term franchise pieces.

The entire Jones trade market hinges on his willingness to entertain an extension with the team who acquires him. I don't see any team willing to go all-in on Jones without a verbal commitment.

The biggest hurdles the Leafs will face in acquiring Jones (as a rental) will likely be the Flyers or Avs -- two teams who absolutely need Jones plus have the assets to acquire him, even as a rental.

Reactions: Stigma

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Flyers recieve:
Marner
Rielly

Leafs recieve:
Provorov
Konecny
Patrick

Who says no?

I proposed this to my buddies;

Marner
Kerfoot
Engvall
Rielly

For

Couterier
JVR
Laughton
Provorov

Leafs trade $20.65M and get back 21.08M.

I see it as 1 year of Rielly for 1 year of Couterier. Marner for Provorov and JVR who the Leafs are familiar with an enjoy having on the PP. Kerfoot and Engvall for Laughton.

Philly has to make some big changes just like the leafs. This shakes up both teams. Philly gets a bit more skill.

Reactions: Stigma

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
Leafs sign Gern Blanston - KHL prospect. 5’ 4” , 125lb left wing. The speedy forward is known for something about being fast and has good hockey IQ, teammates say, “Well Gern is just… Gern”. Kyle dubas inked the mighty mite to a seven year contact averaging 13 million per season.

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
I proposed this to my buddies;

Marner
Kerfoot
Engvall
Rielly

For

Couterier
JVR
Laughton
Provorov

Leafs trade $20.65M and get back 21.08M.

I see it as 1 year of Rielly for 1 year of Couterier. Marner for Provorov and JVR who the Leafs are familiar with an enjoy having on the PP. Kerfoot and Engvall for Laughton.

Philly has to make some big changes just like the leafs. This shakes up both teams. Philly gets a bit more skill.
Again, I think there's some interesting possibilities with the Flyers but I think this deal absolutely destroys Philly up the middle. They moved Giroux to wing and will likely move on from Patrick -- if they trade Couturier and Laughton, their only centerman on their current roster will be Kevin Hayes -- and I don't think they even entertain that idea.

Let's assume even if the Flyers call up Frost full-time, they're rolling out Hayes, Kerfoot and Frost -- and that's if Frost proves he can play middle in the NHL. I don't see them moving Giroux back to being a top line center full-time, not at his age.

Believe it or not, in order for a deal like this to happen, you would need to swap Couturier for Giroux and we'd have to go all-in and hope to win a Cup while Giroux could still replace a good portion of Marner's points from the wing.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If chances of Eichel getting healthy are good you do a Marner swap with no questions asked.

Eichel-Matthews for 10 years would be absolutely incredible.

Reactions: socko and geo25

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I bet this theoretical player isn't any more of a competitive professional role model than any of the previous vets or even Zach Hyman.

Alamo Leafer

Help end animal cruelty
Sep 12, 2018
Gatineau, QC
I can't believe no one's thinking outside the box on this one:
Carey Price slipped a note to Keefe during the handshakes saying he wants to defect.

No but seriously, why can't this be about a goalie?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad