Speculation: Chris Driedger ('s future)

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
FWIW, he said post-game that he isn’t really paying attention to rumours and that he wants to stay. Nothing earth shattering but there’s no reason to trade him right now unless someone decides to offer up a 1st rounder or high end prospect, which I highly doubt happens.

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
FWIW, he said post-game that he isn’t really paying attention to rumours and that he wants to stay. Nothing earth shattering but there’s no reason to trade him right now unless someone decides to offer up a 1st rounder or high end prospect, which I highly doubt happens.

Someone mentioned earlier the Driedgs' is much more valuable to the Cats than anything that he could bring in a trade...I totally agree with this.

One Bob injury of any magnitude, and what has become the teams most interesting season in a very long time, would be left to an inconsistent #3 goalie in Monty, or a 19 year old who has not played minute one at this level?

No way I can see Mr. Z, and Q, allowing that to happen, no matter how they see Knight's potential.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
The emergence of Driedger is both awesome and frustrating at the same time. I really wish we could somehow keep him, but Bob's inflated and ridiculous contract is going to prevent that from happening and I fear it's going to bite us in the ass.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
What could we get for Dreidger that can move the needle?

No one is trading a top 4 D or a top 2 center for him. A 2nd or 3rd round pick is worthless relative to having solid goaltending for a compressed schedule.

I think he stays.

Spencer Knight probably gets one game to burn an ELC year.

Seattle takes Dreidger in the expansion draft, allows us to keep Forsling.

The only way I see Driedger moved is as part of a package for a top 6 forward.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Zito’s probably trying hard to sign him. Preferably to a 1yr extension, unfortunately I highly doubt his camp signs for only 1yr. Probably could get 3yrs in the summer with a nice payout (nothing crazy, but something notable considering his current contract). If they can agree to 2yrs I think zito would do that depending on the ask.

Is this happens, it’s actually less about him playing with us in the future, and more so if he’s under contract then I’d imagine almost assuredly Seattle will take him. Which is a best case scenario so we lose none of our roster players. Get something signed so Seattle takes him. Even if they don’t, we have a strong backup for another year or two and can easily trade him at any point to make way for Knight if needed. If they can get something affordable done, I see it as a win-win.

his camp could still try going into free agency and try to make even more plus getting a starting role.

Reactions: scholl

JEFFREY87

Oct 9, 2020
Is it not out of the question to perhaps move Bob and sign Chris for like 5 mil a season x 4 and keep Knight as backup?

or at this point Bobrovsky is unmoveable? I mean I would be willing to part w a 1st in a future draft to move his contract, would we still have to retain money or take on dead weight to do so however?

Not that Bob is bad but just to have more money on the table to work with.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Is it not out of the question to perhaps move Bob and sign Chris for like 5 mil a season x 4 and keep Knight as backup?

or at this point Bobrovsky is unmoveable? I mean I would be willing to part w a 1st in a future draft to move his contract, would we still have to retain money or take on dead weight to do so however?

Not that Bob is bad but just to have more money on the table to work with.
No one is taking that contract for the next few years.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
What could we get for Dreidger that can move the needle?

No one is trading a top 4 D or a top 2 center for him. A 2nd or 3rd round pick is worthless relative to having solid goaltending for a compressed schedule.

I think he stays.

Spencer Knight probably gets one game to burn an ELC year.

Seattle takes Dreidger in the expansion draft, allows us to keep Forsling.

The only way I see Driedger moved is as part of a package for a top 6 forward.
He is UFA. Can he still be taken in the expansion draft? He can choose his destination.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I would gladly trade Judge for a second and third in this upcoming draft.
Teams scout young kids all the time. A lot of Scouts look at 16 year olds.
I wonder if the higher value picks will decrease this year but the mid round picks are going to increase in value.

Think of it as having more darts to throw away the dartboard.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Panthers have all their picks still intact this year, plus a 7th from Winnipeg they acquired in the Bogdan Kiselevich trade.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
With these trades that are taking place around the deadline so far, I definitely don't think it's unreasonable that Judge will fetch the Panthers a second and a third.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
With these trades that are taking place around the deadline so far, I definitely don't think it's unreasonable that Judge will fetch the Panthers a second and a third.
Eh goalies aren’t valued much so he is staying. Maybe his contract helps though. Weird spread in value: proven playoff type guys have down well; others haven’t

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Eh goalies aren’t valued much so he is staying. Maybe his contract helps though. Weird spread in value: proven playoff type guys have down well; others haven’t
I still stand by my take that because Arizona and Boston don't have any healthy NHL goalies available, this might bring his price up. Toronto and Montreal might get in discussions as well, seeing how their starters are down. Even throw Colorado into the party.

I think the market is out there.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I do.

Why let him walk for nothing as an UFA?
Bob is going to play in the postseason. Despite what goalie plays, this team is nowhere near a Stanley Cup Contender without Ek, so why not sell high and cash in now?
Because this team is trying to win.

It might surprise you, but the players want to win and it's apparent to everyone that isn't weirdly too emotionally invested in Bob, that Driedger gives them a better chance at winning any given game.

Despite the wishes of some on here that just want to see the team roll over and give up until we get the perfect lineup perfectly healthy for this perfectly miraculous playoff run that you imagine will someday happen.

This team is having the best regular season in its pitiful existence and you don't throw that away for miserable 3rd round pick or whatever you'd sell Driedger for.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Potential scenario.

Bob loses first two games. Q makes a change in game three to spark the team. Driedger plays and wins, then wins again. And keeps winning.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I do.

Why let him walk for nothing as an UFA?
Bob is going to play in the postseason. Despite what goalie plays, this team is nowhere near a Stanley Cup Contender without Ek, so why not sell high and cash in now?
We need to win: we want to maximize value Ie chance of winning cup. Dreidger helps because a) our core needs a chance to compete and there’s a chance Bob screws up and b) it’s a bad signal to our players. To make the Tallon era worth it, Barky needs to re sign

Reactions: Two4Fighting

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Maybe I'm the only person who understands that Ek is out, a person who was on the ice for over a period game.

I'm going to ignore the harsh words than fake news spewing from some people's mouths, because I've learned if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

For anyone who wants to participate (and the sooner you answer the better) I have a serious question:
How many more games do es Judge play as a Panther, Over/Under 6.5?

*EDIT*
I'm saying under. I'm factoring in 14 more games of the regular season, possible injury, Bob getting all of the playoff time, and the trade deadline that is less than 15 hours away.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Maybe I'm the only person who understands that Ek is out, a person who was on the ice for over a period game.

I'm going to ignore the harsh words than fake news spewing from some people's mouths, because I've learned if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

For anyone who wants to participate (and the sooner you answer the better) I have a serious question:
How many more games do es Judge play as a Panther, Over/Under 6.5?
Depends I fully expect Q to ride the hotter goalie soon. Whoever gets going quickest is the answer.

Reactions: CursedCats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad