Speculation: Chris Driedger ('s future)

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
I’ve been really impressed with this guy’s play. Does he have a future with the Panthers? Does the team trade him before the TDL? With Knight in your system and Bob not likely a buyout candidate until 2024 it’ll be interesting to see what you guys do with Driedger.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
I’ve been really impressed with this guy’s play. Does he have a future with the Panthers? Does the team trade him before the TDL? With Knight in your system and Bob not likely a buyout candidate until 2024 it’ll be interesting to see what you guys do with Driedger.
There’s no way they trade him before the deadline.
He’ll be ufa this offseason. It’d be nice if FL could sign him for a couple of more years. We’ll have to wait and see what kind of offers he attracts.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
There’s no way they trade him before the deadline.
He’ll be ufa this offseason. It’d be nice if FL could sign him for a couple of more years. We’ll have to wait and see what kind of offers he attracts.

I could see him signing for 3 years at no less than 3mil, and that’s still 13mil tied up in goalies. Can the Cats afford that?

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
I could see him signing for 3 years at no less than 3mil, and that’s still 13mil tied up in goalies. Can the Cats afford that?
If he gets that offer, he’ll be moving on.
Idk if FL would want to go longer than 2 years with Knight coming along.
:) I’ll just sit back and let Zito figure it out.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
If you’re a Bolts fan, yes we can afford him.
If you’re a Canes fan, yes we can afford him.
If you’re an Isles fan, .......
If you’re a Sabres fan, good luck.

Sincerely,
Me

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Small sample size
Covid

I can't see him making 3M per, one year contract maybe for a rebuilding team that has cash to burn, but three years? Nah.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Unfortunately I see no scenario where Driedger remains a Panther after his contract expires in July. We've got significant money tied up in immovable contracts (Bobrovsky) or difficult-to-move contracts (Yandle, Stralman, perhaps even Hornqvist in 22-23) that will make paying Driedger a fair wage challenging. Reduced revenues from truncated COVID seasons are going to only further exacerbate the situation, as the cap will likely stay flat through 2022 and perhaps even beyond.

Ultimately Driedger will want to get paid and have a genuine opportunity as a starter somewhere, and his agent will have a ton of negotiating leverage considering he's currently in the top 5 in the league for save percentage and getting paid one of the lowest wages in the NHL. There's no reason he and his representation won't seek out a willing suitor offering to pay him the big bucks.

With cap space for Barkov's and Huberdeau's big raises needing to be left on the books in a few years expect to see Knight and Montembeault battling to split time with Bobrovsky starting next season.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Unfortunately I see no scenario where Driedger remains a Panther after his contract expires in July. We've got significant money tied up in immovable contracts (Bobrovsky) or difficult-to-move contracts (Yandle, Stralman, perhaps even Hornqvist in 22-23) that will make paying Driedger a fair wage challenging. Reduced revenues from truncated COVID seasons are going to only further exacerbate the situation, as the cap will likely stay flat through 2022 and perhaps even beyond.

Ultimately Driedger will want to get paid and have a genuine opportunity as a starter somewhere, and his agent will have a ton of negotiating leverage considering he's currently in the top 5 in the league for save percentage and getting paid one of the lowest wages in the NHL. There's no reason he and his representation won't seek out a willing suitor offering to pay him the big bucks.

With cap space for Barkov's and Huberdeau's big raises needing to be left on the books in a few years expect to see Knight and Montembeault battling to split time with Bobrovsky starting next season.
What if we pay Hubie $0...?

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee

Speculation but I would be in favor for a decent price.

I don't see it happening and it's a hard disagree from me.

Countless times Zito and Coach Q have stressed the importance of having 2 quality goaltenders. I don't see them doing this.

Also, this team needs a playoff series win, not more 2nd round picks. Bob has not played himself into being the no doubt #1, there is still some questions in his game. He dominates Detroit well but struggles against better teams.

I'm not a fan of trading Driedger for whatever minimal assets he will fetch in return. He is much more valuable to this team and franchise than some middling prospect and a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I am fine with keeping Driedger, provided he actually gets a shot in the playoffs if he is outplaying Bob.

However, if the plan is to ride him until the regular season ends, and Bob is #1 because reasons for the playoffs, then it is better for the franchise to acquire assets to support Bob and the team for the playoffs.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I'm guessing from the responses that Panthers fans wouldn't be in favor of Devan Dubnyk at 50% (so, 25% total or ~$1M) and San Jose's 2021 2nd round pick for Driedger at the TDL?
Florida doesn't need any retention...with the Ekblad injury, we'll have like 25M in cap space available.

I'd consider that offer frankly if Dubnyk is less putrid...

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Seems I’m in the minority. I like Driedger but I would give up 10 games (max, probably) of him for a 2nd rounder. The 2nd rounder doesn’t need to be viewed as something that can only help us 5+ years down the road. We can use it as trade capital as early as the offseason to improve the team.

If the reverse were true and we had an extra second rounder and a mediocre backup I don’t think people would want to move it at the deadline for a better backup. The second rounder has more value.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Seems I’m in the minority. I like Driedger but I would give up 10 games (max, probably) of him for a 2nd rounder. The 2nd rounder doesn’t need to be viewed as something that can only help us 5+ years down the road. We can use it as trade capital as early as the offseason to improve the team.

If the reverse were true and we had an extra second rounder and a mediocre backup I don’t think people would want to move it at the deadline for a better backup. The second rounder has more value.
I agree with you. If their intention is like last year, to play Bob in the playoffs despite him being outplayed by Driedger, it's rather useless to keep him if we can get a 2nd rounder.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I agree with you. If their intention is like last year, to play Bob in the playoffs despite him being outplayed by Driedger, it's rather useless to keep him if we can get a 2nd rounder.
Q has been riding the hot hand all year, could be either of them going stronger by the end of the year. Both have been good.

Q did this various times in Chicago with Corey Crawford. He will play who he thinks gives us the best chance.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2