Chris Bourque our 3rd line left wing?

bruin10014

Nov 14, 2006
I like the out of the box idea with Paille getting bumped up....Bring up MacDermid for the 12th forward spot. If Paille doesn't work out up there, then call Bourque or Caron up.

Caron concerns me, but only if he's not producing because of his effort. I haven't seen him, so no idea. Bourque would be cool on the 3rd line, but he may not be able to cut it since he hasn't been able to even hold down a 4th line spot at this point.

Caron has played his way out of a job in my opinion in Providence this year not because of stats or lack of stats but because of lack of over-all energy and enthusiasm. Caron lazily skates through all the zones and seems a step or two slower then the rest of the team. He has not put up points even being on the top power play line and getting a regular shift with offensive people. It seems whatever line he is on starts to suffer once he gets there. I think part of it may be that he doesnt think he belongs there and is upset but other higher ended players have taken the opportunity to excel and show what they are made of (Hall, Hopkins, Eberle) and not all about points but about controlling the game).

Now Bourque shows great vision, a little small but with the rest of the Bruins line-up he will not have to worry about getting run to bad. He has a great shot and moves well without the puck and makes passes that most people cannot make. He does turn the puck over a lot because sometimes he tries to be too highlight reel and not just a safe play but that is something that he will learn quick in Boston. He has a great shot and can quarterback the powerplay feeding Chara for one timers or taking them himself. The trade with Washington was a 1st round pick who hasnt been able to make a statement in the NHL for a first round pick who hadn't made a statement in the NHL I think it worked for Hamil actually has been decent in Hersey and Bourque is leading the team in points and controls the flow when he has the puck. Bourque I think would be better as a NHL 3rd liner then a 4th liner he is too small to be a "energy guy" and he is not a fighter he is more of a 3rd liner who can quarterback the powerplay.

Lord Byron

Oct 2, 2007
For whoever mentioned that Bourque's trade value was only the wonderful disappointment that was Zach Hamill, don't lose sight of the fact that both were coming up on free agency and that Bourque had no intention of staying with the Caps' organization after leading the AHL in scoring and never once getting called up during the season.

I think Caron was given a huge head start in the summer with Chiarelli's ringing endorsement, but based on those dreadful stats and the woeful firsthand accounts of his play, it'd be wrong if another player has to knock one out of the park during the shortest training camp in ages in order to pry the position away from Caron. The first half of this AHL season should definitely play a big role in the decision. Will it though? Part of me thinks the poster who mentioned Julien sticking with what he knows will be proven right if we do indeed have a season -- at least right off the hop.

As for Paille, I think he still serves the team best in his current role. He can certainly move up when necessary and isn't in any way detrimental to the team if he plays 14 minutes instead of 10 or so, but I feel like the opportunities Paille creates are almost entirely independent of who his linemates are on the ice. His bread and butter is his speed and the breakaway opportunities it creates, so whether it's Rich Peverley sending him off to the races or Adam McQuaid, it doesn't really make a big difference. If you throw anyone with higher-skilled players, they're obviously going to benefit to some degree, but I see Paille as a guy who is adequate at best at just about every conceivable offensive ability shy of getting in alone on a goaltender.

I don't see how playing with Chris Kelly instead of Greg Campbell is going to make him any better at carrying the puck through traffic, stick handling out of the corner or anything along those lines. Could a guy like Krejci maybe thread a few needles and hit Paille for a tap-in at the far side of the net that Campbell couldn't? Sure. But if that's the benefit you're looking for, then Paille has nothing special to offer you as every NHL player should be capable of doing that.

Dojji*

Could a guy like Krejci maybe thread a few needles and hit Paille for a tap-in at the far side of the net that Campbell couldn't? Sure. But if that's the benefit you're looking for, then Paille has nothing special to offer you as every NHL player should be capable of doing that.

... except that Paille is fast enough, and smart enough, to be in the right place at the right time, which is something you can't expect of every NHLer. Don't let the fact that Thornton, Campbell and Paille all excel at this blind you to the fact that it's a definite skill that not all 4th liners possess.

Caron is also reasonably good at it, which is why he's not worse than he already is offensively.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
With the lockout, and with the fact that any training camp/tryout process will be abridged at best, I think the Bs brass has been using this time to evaluate their players in Providence, etc. and probably already have a pretty good idea of a small group of players that might possibly be a fit for the big club to start the season.

Once the lockout ends, the season will be right around the corner, and the guys who are playing well right now in Providence, are going to have the best chance to take that spot. There is only going to be so much a guy like Caron can do in a 7-10 day training camp to change minds about how he is currently playing. I think they will give him every chance to compete for that spot, as he has been there before, but he's not at a place in his career where they are just going to hand it to him, he's going to have to earn it.

My money would be on one of the 4A type guys like Bourque, Tardif, or MacDermid to at least make the team as the last guy on the roster. Those guys will go up and down from Boston to Providence all season, and might dress here and there, but I really think they will go with one of the younger guys who has been playing well and looks good in camp. My money would be on Spooner, if not right at the start of the season, then to come up and take that spot at some point. If nobody steps up to fill that hole, then a deal might need to be made for a veteran winger before the trade deadline.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I like this idea, I think he'd fit well with Kelly & Peverley. He's a smart player, which I think Julien would appreciate in that role and he has much better wheels than Caron.

I agree with those that say Caron has been disappointing this year. I saw the game in Manchester when Caron got a trick, and even in that game I thought he was unimpressive (as much as you can be with a hat trick!! :laugh:)

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Time will tell with Bourque (as if it hasn't already), new coach, different system/organization but all the guy has done is put up pts in the AHL and done little in the NHL so I won't hold my breath

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bring MacDermid up and let him play. I am ok with promoting Paille up to line 3. He is a much better player than Bourque. Then let McDermid skate with Thornton, and Campbell and really bring the hurt

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
1M for a guy with his head shoved up his ass 90% of the time was a problem.

Part of me wishes that this lockout was last year so I wouldn't have had to watch Corvo and Pouliot disgrace a Bruins jersey for a whole year.

Honestly I didn't have any problem with Poo. Sure his scoring was inconsistent, but honestly I thought the guy went out and earned his paycheck most nights with solid effort

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
1M for a guy with his head shoved up his ass 90% of the time was a problem.

Part of me wishes that this lockout was last year so I wouldn't have had to watch Corvo and Pouliot disgrace a Bruins jersey for a whole year.

Really? I disagree. I thought when nearly the whole team had it's head shoved up their *****, he was one of the few that didn't... He also showed a lot of effort in the playoffs, something the team didn't exactly have an abundance of.

Going back a couple of posts, Steve Sullivan was someone I really wanted in the free agency... He was still good on the power play and he adds veteran leadership, while at the same time not being washed up. He'd fit our 3rd line perfectly. I was bummed when he signed with the Coyotes. Sullivan-Kelly-Peverley would have been amazing.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Really? I disagree. I thought when nearly the whole team had it's head shoved up their *****, he was one of the few that didn't... He also showed a lot of effort in the playoffs, something the team didn't exactly have an abundance of.

Going back a couple of posts, Steve Sullivan was someone I really wanted in the free agency... He was still good on the power play and he adds veteran leadership, while at the same time not being washed up. He'd fit our 3rd line perfectly. I was bummed when he signed with the Coyotes. Sullivan-Kelly-Peverley would have been amazing.

Pouliot was garbage, sure he tried hard but that's only half the battle. He skated around without purpose most of the time.

Funny you mention Sullivan, he's a guy I wanted last year instead of Pouliot and I was laughed at.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Size might work against Bourque ... seems like Claude wants some bulk in that role (Poo, Caron). He seems like the obvious choice out of a cast of not so great options right now though. Hopefully at least they give him the chance to compete for ice with Caron. Wonder if we won't see a bit of a rotating cast until someone proves worthy ... at least 2 of the guys competing for that job will be on the roster full time as a 13th forward (hopefully one of them is not Trent Whitfield).

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Size might work against Bourque ... seems like Claude wants some bulk in that role (Poo, Caron). He seems like the obvious choice out of a cast of not so great options right now though. Hopefully at least they give him the chance to compete for ice with Caron. Wonder if we won't see a bit of a rotating cast until someone proves worthy ... at least 2 of the guys competing for that job will be on the roster full time as a 13th forward (hopefully one of them is not Trent Whitfield).

If Bourque can't stick we can't use size as an excuse. Marchand isn't the biggest guy,, but he uses his size (lack of) to his advantage. Low center of gravity at times helps one be shifty.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
If Bourque can't stick we can't use size as an excuse. Marchand isn't the biggest guy,, but he uses his size (lack of) to his advantage. Low center of gravity at times helps one be shifty.

My guess is they only have him around to be the 13th man with his low cap hit and offensive upside so he can play on a top line in a pinch. You only bring up Spooner instead of Bourque if there is a serious injury to a star forward.

I just take Paille over Bourque every day to play on the Kelly line since he brings so much defensively and you don't get that kind of speed from crafty vets like Kelly and Paille.

And in small samples I expect Bourque to be pretty good, over extended periods I don't see him producing in the NHL. Chris was a good signing though Prov would be worse without him and he'll be a good 13th forward especially since the prospects carry a bigger cap hit.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I can see one of Caron, Bourque, or MacDermid winning it and the other two being the first injury callups.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
At this point if there is a season, would a call-up be considered a call-up?

I think the guy starting the season is the more likely call-up.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Honestly I didn't have any problem with Poo. Sure his scoring was inconsistent, but honestly I thought the guy went out and earned his paycheck most nights with solid effort

I agree. Pouliot had a pretty good season last year. I was surprised they traded him to give Caron a shot.

3rdMangHigh

Jul 22, 2009
Calgary
Camara pulls a Lucic and takes the ball and runs with it, in a dream scenario of course! Claude and Co have proven if someone forces their way in, they will play so for the greater good of the team I hope someone does.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Camara pulls a Lucic and takes the ball and runs with it, in a dream scenario of course! Claude and Co have proven if someone forces their way in, they will play so for the greater good of the team I hope someone does.

I don't know if they submitted his name as a player who can be brought in for camp. That list was done many months ago. I am sure Hamilton will be available to come up, but I really don't know if the Bruins submitted any other names

BeantownBoy

Jun 6, 2010
With caron being injured for 3 weeks What about Brian rolston, is he retiring? He wasn't that bad and he would be really cheap good depth 13th forward veteran

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad