Chris Bourque our 3rd line left wing?

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
If the season started this week it seems like he would have to be our opening day guy alongside Kelly and Peverley. Caron cannot make the opening day with his atrocious stat line at this point it does not send a good message to other ahl players and prospects... Call me crazy but the way Bourque plays, a smart, hard-working and oppurtunistic game style, might be the perfect compliment on that third line.

Marchand Bergeron Seguin
Lucic Krejci Horton
Bourque Kelly Peverley
Paille Campbell Thornton

Chara Seidenberg
Ference Boychuck
McQuaid (? due to recent injury) Hamilton

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Sort of think Paille should be on that 3rd line with Kelly and whoever (Pevs most likely.) Paille and Kelly's wheels would be second to none and both have good hockey sense even if their hands aren't great.

That last spot should be playing with Thornton and Campbell. If it is on the third Bourque deserves first crack IMO. If its the 4th line I'd guess Caron gets the spot based on size (I'd go McDermid maybe.)

I just looked at Cap Geek I am sick to my stomach we are paying Campbell and Thornton so much next season its uncalled for that those 2 will get 2.8 combined. Our top 2 lines lose enough ice time to them as is I think the 4th line should make no more than 2 mil total. Hopefully there is a rollback but it looks like the players will avert one.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
kid hasn`t made the cut yet in his pro career with teams less talented, not banking on it to happen with the B`s

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Sort of think Paille should be on that 3rd line with Kelly and whoever (Pevs most likely.) Paille and Kelly's wheels would be second to none and both have good hockey sense even if their hands aren't great.

That last spot should be playing with Thornton and Campbell. If it is on the third Bourque deserves first crack IMO. If its the 4th line I'd guess Caron gets the spot based on size (I'd go McDermid maybe.)

I just looked at Cap Geek I am sick to my stomach we are paying Campbell and Thornton so much next season its uncalled for that those 2 will get 2.8 combined. Our top 2 lines lose enough ice time to them as is I think the 4th line should make no more than 2 mil total. Hopefully there is a rollback but it looks like the players will avert one.

uncalled for that combined they make 2.8??? I`ll admit, in comparison to other 4th liners, a bit more costly, but they aren`t like most 4th line players, arguably the top 4th line in the biz and you think their value is much greater by cutting 800,000$ bucks?? Sorry, we disagree and I suspect most here would too

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
uncalled for that combined they make 2.8??? I`ll admit, in comparison to other 4th liners, a bit more costly, but they aren`t like most 4th line players, arguably the top 4th line in the biz and you think their value is much greater by cutting 800,000$ bucks?? Sorry, we disagree and I suspect most here would too

Its OK. Its a premature discussion anyways until the new CBA comes out.

But next year's cap will be 10 mil less than this seasons. And we are right up to the wall this year with guys like Looch and Marchand getting raises.

And the savings I would want is 800k plus the third player on the 4th lines salary. So at least 1.5 mil. Not 800k spread out over 3 guys.

The only elite aspect of the fourth line is Paille who is a good NHL third liner that somehow got stuck permanantly on the fourth. Thornton is a good fighter and leader who holds his own in all other aspects of the game playing on the fourth line...but he couldn't ever step up in case of injury to a higher line. GC has only ever played on the fourth line in his NHL career can't cut the mustard on a higher line, I respect him for dropping the gloves a fair bit but he isn't that good at it. He might be a third liner on 5-10 NHL teams thats about it. Still a good player but I want no part of him at 1.6 mil if the cap goes from 70 to 60. You can field an entire 4th line for that. (McDermid-Camper-Bourque would combined be the same cap hit as GC's.)

Like I said though its premature. There will be plenty of talk on here about who we should get rid of if the cap goes down with no rollbacks. Our 4th line will be making way too much IMO the only one who I think is a good value is Paille. GC at 1.6...no thanks.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
I hope not he's a terrible player. Caron who looks like he doesn't care 99% of the time produces at a better clip than this AHL superstar.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
If the season started this week it seems like he would have to be our opening day guy alongside Kelly and Peverley. Caron cannot make the opening day with his atrocious stat line at this point it does not send a good message to other ahl players and prospects... Call me crazy but the way Bourque plays, a smart, hard-working and oppurtunistic game style, might be the perfect compliment on that third line.

Marchand Bergeron Seguin
Lucic Krejci Horton
Bourque Kelly Peverley
Paille Campbell Thornton

Chara Seidenberg
Ference Boychuck
McQuaid (? due to recent injury) Hamilton

I look at it more that Caron's play has left the door open for someone to slip into that spot but they are going to have to earn it in training camp. Caron's defensive play may be more of what the team wants to have on that line whether we like it or not.

Scoring stats aren't everything, Julien knows that Caron knows how to play on the team I really feel that he will take that into account along with how whoever else they bring in plays in training camp.

I always remember seeing guys who were scoring stars in the AHL and couldn't get it done in the NHL, so far in his career, that is exactly what Bourque has been. I don't know if that still describes Bourque or not, I am just being cautious and expect him to have to beat out Caron in Boston and whatever he has done in Providence is great, it just doesn't mean anything once you get to Boston.

I'm just not sold on Bourque, there is a reason a team would trade the league's leading scorer for Zach Hamill. Either they made a huge mistake or they know something we don't. Time will tell which it is.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I been to 6 Providence games and Bourque is better than I thought he would be. I'd give him a shot at third line on Boston. He clearly has the head, the passing, and some decent quickness/shiftiness.

He also has some balls- I seen him get hammered and take tons of **** and he did not back down. This may be was the most impressive part of what I saw- that and the passing.

The Bruins play a top 9; the Caps and Pens are star driven pretty much top 6. Bourque's imo best/dream situation is Boston's- top 9 structured and if he gets Peverely and Kelly, he gets two wily foxes. Real good spot for him on paper.

Paille is what he is- we all know that or should. He's an elite 4th liner and PK, who can play like a first liner when Buffalo shows up. He's probably more talented than what he shows which is why he excelled in the SC playoffs, big games, and against the team that dumped him.

Caron should be forced to watch the Leafs game in Toronto last year when he scored 2 goals, grabbed first or second star, and looked like Kevin Stevens pre-oxy. He has been disappointing apparently in Providence- I think I saw all his goals, I did go to Manchester when he got the hat trick, and was at the Springfield home game he scored and hit a cross bar and a post. He should hire me to go to games.

I call up Bourque and Caron and let them battle it out. I'd probably keep both for now.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I been to 6 Providence games and Bourque is better than I thought he would be. I'd give him a shot at third line on Boston. He clearly has the head, the passing, and some decent quickness/shiftiness.

He also has some balls- I seen him get hammered and take tons of **** and he did not back down. This may be was the most impressive part of what I saw- that and the passing.

The Bruins play a top 9; the Caps and Pens are star driven pretty much top 6. Bourque's imo best/dream situation is Boston's- top 9 structured and if he gets Peverely and Kelly, he gets two wily foxes. Real good spot for him on paper.

Paille is what he is- we all know that or should. He's an elite 4th liner and PK, who can play like a first liner when Buffalo shows up. He's probably more talented than what he shows which is why he excelled in the SC playoffs, big games, and against the team that dumped him.

Caron should be forced to watch the Leafs game in Toronto last year when he scored 2 goals, grabbed first or second star, and looked like Kevin Stevens pre-oxy. He has been disappointing apparently in Providence- I think I saw all his goals, I did go to Manchester when he got the hat trick, and was at the Springfield home game he scored and hit a cross bar and a post. He should hire me to go to games.

I call up Bourque and Caron and let them battle it out. I'd probably keep both for now.

I think you will have to keep atleast one spare forward if there is a season . There is going to be alot of games in a short period of time. Caron can fit in on the wing on almost any line if the need be, IMO that makes him a valuable assest

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think you will have to keep atleast one spare forward if there is a season . There is going to be alot of games in a short period of time. Caron can fit in on the wing on almost any line if the need be, IMO that makes him a valuable assest

agree- and as meh-ish as Caron apparently has been doing, there are many far more thought of prospects in the AHL like Kreider and Burmistrov and others who are not doing all that well. Caron is not considered in that area of talent but he is a player who's skill level as crazy as it sounds might be more suited for NHL game.

One thing he has to show is dogged determination. Not sure he has it day in day out. I think he had the taste of the NHL including Prague trip and Cup run and parade, parties, day with- all that stuff and this might be such a difference he cant get it and he's left spinning his wheels.

This is a big year for him- he needs to do it or he'll be passed by Khokhlachev, Spooner, Knight on the forward lines for three- and Camara is coming up behind him as well; Griffith and others like Sauve and crew in Providence

Dojji*

This is a big year for him- he needs to do it or he'll be passed by Khokhlachev, Spooner, Knight on the forward lines for three- and Camara is coming up behind him as well; Griffith and others like Sauve and crew in Providence

How many years in a row have people been saying this now? At least 2.

Spooner and Knight will come along at their own speed and I don't expect them to make a beeline to a starting roster spot any more than Caron did. Khokhlechev is a bit more of a wild card. In each of these cases though we're dealing with a kid who has some physical and mental growth to complete before they can be successful in the bigs, and penning them in to surpass Caron that quickly is at best premature.

nycbruins*

Bourque has played what, 30 nhl games & none in 3 years? His nhl stats mean absolutely nothing. Give the kid a shot. Keep caron in providence until he learns how to skate. He's just not talented enough to overcome how slow he is

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Wherever he's been he's never managed to stick and there aren't many reasons to expect he will this time, either. He'll get called up, looked at, and sent back down. In another year or two he'll be gone.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I think Caron wins the job out of training camp but sauve finishes the year in his spot. He seems like a great complimentary winger. Size speed shot.

mashmont

May 27, 2011
Massachusetts
Since Koko is going back to the KHL, id say he might also be in the running.

So thats
Bourque
Caron
Koko
Spooner
Suave
Knight

Pretty exciting to not know which one will make the third line. Speaks well for our prospects.

Kaoz*

I hope not he's a terrible player. Caron who looks like he doesn't care 99% of the time produces at a better clip than this AHL superstar.

Eh? Joke?

Anywho, I'd say likely or at least he'll get his chance. Nothing to lose there really, just adds competition. He's producing in Providence at least, and that can't be any small feat coming into a new team and learning a new system.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think Caron wins the job out of training camp but sauve finishes the year in his spot. He seems like a great complimentary winger. Size speed shot.

Sauve???? Ya familiar with his horrific luck making it 5 games in a row without injury?

Coffee all over keyboard now, thx, needed the laugh:)

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Caron's spot was his to lose this year, but next year it's a very different story. Too bad there's a lockout.

Bourque, Spooner, Knight, Caron, and Khoklachev are pretty much in a wide-open competition for that spot. Sauve has a good shot too, but his injuries are obviously a huge concern.

I think Caron and Koko are the main contenders. Caron has proven he can be efficent at an NHL level, which none of the others have. Koko playing in the KHL was a great decision, he's matured and gained so much experience, the KHL is a huge step up from the OHL. He had a rocky start, but that's to be expected. A 19 year old playing in a league with veterans is pretty rough, but he's made the most of it.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
if there is a season:

you've got to roll with who's contributing. and that might not be just one player. If it is Caron or Bourque, great! If not, then there are other options. There's some not-so-horrible stuff still avaialble in the FA market. Some of the wiley vets out there might be rested and in-shape enough to give those kids a real shot at the spot.

I'm getting greedy - I want another cup.

So if Bourque clicks with Kelly+Pev - then I'm all for it. Would love to see that happen - his play could be elevated by the speed/smarts of that duo.

We're going to suffer injuries - to the forwards and the rear guards - it's inevitible. There will be more than one body filling that slot.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Its OK. Its a premature discussion anyways until the new CBA comes out.

But next year's cap will be 10 mil less than this seasons. And we are right up to the wall this year with guys like Looch and Marchand getting raises.

And the savings I would want is 800k plus the third player on the 4th lines salary. So at least 1.5 mil. Not 800k spread out over 3 guys.

The only elite aspect of the fourth line is Paille who is a good NHL third liner that somehow got stuck permanantly on the fourth. Thornton is a good fighter and leader who holds his own in all other aspects of the game playing on the fourth line...but he couldn't ever step up in case of injury to a higher line. GC has only ever played on the fourth line in his NHL career can't cut the mustard on a higher line, I respect him for dropping the gloves a fair bit but he isn't that good at it. He might be a third liner on 5-10 NHL teams thats about it. Still a good player but I want no part of him at 1.6 mil if the cap goes from 70 to 60. You can field an entire 4th line for that. (McDermid-Camper-Bourque would combined be the same cap hit as GC's.)

Like I said though its premature. There will be plenty of talk on here about who we should get rid of if the cap goes down with no rollbacks. Our 4th line will be making way too much IMO the only one who I think is a good value is Paille. GC at 1.6...no thanks.

And then we'd have a 4th line that played 3 minutes per game, and our top forwards would have to account for an extra 7 or so minutes per game of even strength play. No thanks, I'll take our 4th line making a whole $1.5 million "too much" since it can actually be pretty effective usually.

Wherever he's been he's never managed to stick and there aren't many reasons to expect he will this time, either. He'll get called up, looked at, and sent back down. In another year or two he'll be gone.

Bourque? I don't know for sure but I though I heard somewhere he played 5 minutes per game on a 4th line, it's tough to produce in that role if you are more of a skill guy than a shutdown forward/enforcer.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
I don't know for sure but I though I heard somewhere he played 5 minutes per game on a 4th line, it's tough to produce in that role if you are more of a skill guy than a shutdown forward/enforcer.

Maybe...but I'm sticking with my opinion. There's a reason he played where he played and caught the minutes he caught. I'm never one to say never (is that hypocritical, or ironic?) and I will allow things can turn around, but I also believe in probability and I just don't see it. I wish him luck but...hope for the best and expect the worst.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Sauve???? Ya familiar with his horrific luck making it 5 games in a row without injury?

Coffee all over keyboard now, thx, needed the laugh:)

He's been healthy this season. I'm more worried about Jared knights propensity for injuring himself then I am sauve at this point. Sprained ankle, concussion, hamstring "pull" all within the last 8 months

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
He's been healthy this season. I'm more worried about Jared knights propensity for injuring himself then I am sauve at this point. Sprained ankle, concussion, hamstring "pull" all within the last 8 months

Sauve has missed six games this year with an "upper body" injury, most probably a concussion.

I like the guy but he gets hurt a lot. That's just a fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad