Recalled/Assigned: Cholowski Recalled (Sent Back to GR 3/3)

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I feel like he’s the last guy that should be bounced between rosters. He’s offensively inclined and his best showings were in the first half of last season, yet they let him flounder once he started to lose stamina and he hasn’t recovered. But how do they expect him to recover when he’s bounced between a thick AHL defense and a putrid NHL defense? I don’t understand what they expect to see out of him while he plays on a bad team with a rotting locker room and an equally incompetent defense mate when he wasn’t even fully competent in the AHL yet.

If it were me, I would’ve kept him down in the AHL since he was sent down at the end of last season. And I would’ve sent him down there sooner last year to boot. And kept him down til he was The Man, with a couple NHL bones thrown his way during injury pile ups if I had a solid stay-at-homer who knew his role to pair him with.

The goal is to get him competent enough defensively that he can confidently let loose offensively. Yet I feel like we’re killing his offensive flavor by expecting things defensively that haven’t fully sunken in with him yet. Let him get there in the AHL first. Why is that so hard to understand?

And for f***s sake, you call the kid up for a game with Howard in net? That’s practically enough to make me think they want him to fail. :sarcasm:

Reactions: vladdy16

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
DeAngelo had 43 points in 69 games in the AHL 2 years before that, so even the most minuscule amount context makes this a poor comparison.

43 points in 69 AHL games is better than the 12 Cholowski had 25 games with GR last year.
However, DeAngelo got to play the entire year in, allowed to develop against lesser competition in the AHL, and wasn't demoted after playing 52 games in the NHL

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Well, you guys failed me today Red Wings HFBoards.

You made me feel like I was being a sniveling negative Nancy, projecting a biased and pessimistic narrative, and my feeling of foreboding over this call up was freaking well warranted in the end.

That was an abomination.

I'm mostly joking of course, these kind of trials might be a part of your preferred roster selection strategy in the first place. But I'm really at a loss for words in regards to what a bad year it's been for most of our valuable U-25's from my perspective, and how absolutely stupid I've found a lot of the deployments and developments I feel like I've observed in DET and GR throughout this year.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I feel like he’s the last guy that should be bounced between rosters. He’s offensively inclined and his best showings were in the first half of last season, yet they let him flounder once he started to lose stamina and he hasn’t recovered. But how do they expect him to recover when he’s bounced between a thick AHL defense and a putrid NHL defense? I don’t understand what they expect to see out of him while he plays on a bad team with a rotting locker room and an equally incompetent defense mate when he wasn’t even fully competent in the AHL yet.

If it were me, I would’ve kept him down in the AHL since he was sent down at the end of last season. And I would’ve sent him down there sooner last year to boot. And kept him down til he was The Man, with a couple NHL bones thrown his way during injury pile ups if I had a solid stay-at-homer who knew his role to pair him with.

The goal is to get him competent enough defensively that he can confidently let loose offensively. Yet I feel like we’re killing his offensive flavor by expecting things defensively that haven’t fully sunken in with him yet. Let him get there in the AHL first. Why is that so hard to understand?

And for f***s sake, you call the kid up for a game with Howard in net? That’s practically enough to make me think they want him to fail. :sarcasm:
Or maybe he's just not that good. Not all things are explained with a simple "Howard bad hur dur".

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
43 points in 69 AHL games is better than the 12 Cholowski had 25 games with GR last year.
However, DeAngelo got to play the entire year in, allowed to develop against lesser competition in the AHL, and wasn't demoted after playing 52 games in the NHL

DeAngelo did it in his D+1. His development has been uneven, but he's been better categorically than Cholo at every level. Cholo looks more and more like a slight better Smith than a top 4 guy.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Well, you guys failed me today Red Wings HFBoards.

You made me feel like I was being a sniveling negative Nancy, projecting a biased and pessimistic narrative, and my feeling of foreboding over this call up was freaking well warranted in the end.

That was an abomination.

I'm mostly joking of course, these kind of trials might be a part of your preferred roster selection strategy in the first place. But I'm really at a loss for words in regards to what a bad year it's been for most of our valuable U-25's from my perspective, and how absolutely stupid I've found a lot of the deployments and developments I feel like I've observed in DET and GR throughout this year.

Just like nobody should negate your opinion, nobody can tell you how to feel... :D

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
DeAngelo did it in his D+1. His development has been uneven, but he's been better categorically than Cholo at every level. Cholo looks more and more like a slight better Smith than a top 4 guy.

Whatever.
I've seen Cholo rule the PP at the NHL level.
Not sure he'll ever do that again. But there's no reason to think he can't be a top 4 guy.

Like I just showed you, he's having virtually the same D+4 season as DeAngelo - a guy picked at 19th overall and who was struggling so much he was traded for a 2nd round pick at what? The age of 20?

I'm far from a Cholowski fan or a Cholowski booster.

But given how bad this team is, we are in no hurry to rush him and rush to judgment.
We've got nothing no reason at all to be rash about this.

Reactions: kliq

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Whatever.
I've seen Cholo rule the PP at the NHL level.
Not sure he'll ever do that again. But there's no reason to think he can't be a top 4 guy.

Like I just showed you, he's having virtually the same D+4 season as DeAngelo - a guy picked at 19th overall and who was struggling so much he was traded for a 2nd round pick at what? The age of 20?

I'm far from a Cholowski fan or a Cholowski booster.

But given how bad this team is, we are in no hurry to rush him and rush to judgment.
We've got nothing no reason at all to be rash about this.

I don't know why they keep calling him up. Just leave him in GR, put him in GR to start next year, and just let him work on his game at the lower level. Be nice if he could add a step over the summer, too. Didn't Yzerman hire someone to work with guys and their skating when he talked about revamping the training room and staff?

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
It was a joke.

That person wrote a post over 10 sentences long, and none of them had to do with Howard.
A joke at Howard's expense with those two last sentences. His whole premise was "it's someone else's fault too". That applies to some, but not others apparently. Bottom line, Cholo was not good this game and contributed to the general badness of others.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I've had my doubts about Cholowski since '18 training camp, but this gives me some hope.

Second-year standouts: The five most improved sophomores in 2019-20 - TheHockeyNews

"Ryan Graves, D, 24 (Colorado Avalanche)
Cale Makar may be the big star on the Avalanche’s blueline, but his defense partner, Graves, deserves a lot of credit. One year ago, Graves was a bottom-pairing rookie who averaged 11 minutes per night across his 26-game NHL audition. He’s up to 18 minutes per game this season, and with a goals above expected of 3.8 (third among defensemen with 300 minutes of 5-on-5 action) and 25 points overall, he’s getting the job done. Even though plus-minus is a highly criticized stat, it’s worth noting Graves is first in the league at plus-41. Not bad for someone who needed four years of AHL duty before getting a full-time shot in the NHL."

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't know why they keep calling him up. Just leave him in GR, put him in GR to start next year, and just let him work on his game at the lower level. Be nice if he could add a step over the summer, too. Didn't Yzerman hire someone to work with guys and their skating when he talked about revamping the training room and staff?
I feel like we've already had this discussion once, but I really don;t think it's his skating that's the problem. He's too slow to think and react, which is why his first step looks slow. His skating looks fine away from the puck, not so much when defending someone.

It's also weird how many people hate DDK because he's soft, yet are big on Cholo who's even softer. I'm on board with keeping him in GR until he grows a pair.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I feel like we've already had this discussion once, but I really don;t think it's his skating that's the problem. He's too slow to think and react, which is why his first step looks slow. His skating looks fine away from the puck, not so much when defending someone.

It's also weird how many people hate DDK because he's soft, yet are big on Cholo who's even softer. I'm on board with keeping him in GR until he grows a pair.
It's because DeKeyser has been here for a couple of years. People get bored and the grass is totally greener with that new prospect in the minors. He's probably going to be 1D, maybe 2D. We should get him up and give that old worthless DeKeyser's minutes to him.

Reactions: ShelbyZ and Gniwder

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
12:09 TOI for Cholowski last game. He had a total of 3 shifts in the 2nd period.

Grand Rapids is 0-2 since Yzerman said making the playoffs was a priority and then called Cholowski up.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005

Cholowski has a horrible tendency to be unsure of his mark when it's time to engage in open ice in the D zone.

However his work on the boards and in the corners is usually stellar, which you can't say about Dekeyser. Cholowski has looked entirely bad these last few games, but otherwise he has a great conversion rate moving neutral/stale pucks towards a breakout.

I think it'll be easier for him to grow a pair whenever he finds himself on a team/in a position where he can make consistent/consecutive mistakes to learn from, while not having his mentality or playing time tampered with. Again, if you want the organization to put those obstacles in front of players as a vetting process, I understand that, it's just in this case it's absolutely not going to work, so something needs to change, and imo, it can't always be a one way street between the adults and kids in the franchise.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Cholowski is watered down Ristolainen. Both are horrible defensively, only Risto is sligtly better in offence, both are bad.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Seen multiple interviews where Cholowski talks about being a more passive, quiet person and how he needs to learn when to be aggressive. It'll happen in time, he has the tools he just needs to grow.

He shows some flashes when he carries the puck into the zone on power plays instead of falling back on those infuriating drop passes.

Reactions: RedMenace

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
There is no question that Dennis Cholowski is one of the six best defensemen in the organization notwithstanding his issues with: (i) quickly processing defensive coverage, and (ii) the speed and commitment with which he engages defensively and retrives pucks. He is without question the best pure puck mover of our defensive group and it really isn't close. Defensive stops without proper puck movement are pretty worthless. For a team that struggles to move the puck out of the defensive zone and with neutral zone regroups, there is a big temptation to keep him with the big club. The brass needs, however, to resist that temptation and keep him in GR at this point for the rest of the season (and early next if necessary) as a message that his lack of defensive-zone development in unacceptable and that the organization is sincere with their developmental demands. Just because we are awful does not mean he should inherit a spot on the big club's roster with no change to his game. Development needs to be a demand, not an option.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Cholowski is doing this to himself.

Was he bad this past stretch? Not at all. But at some point he needs to prove that he possesses something that's worth keeping around. I don't feel bad for a guy that can't stick on the worst roster in the league, and it doesn't help that he was a massive reach in the draft to begin with.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019

Was he bad this past stretch? Not at all. But at some point he needs to prove that he possesses something that's worth keeping around. I don't feel bad for a guy that can't stick on the worst roster in the league, and it doesn't help that he was a massive reach in the draft to begin with.
Then just keep him down. What are they seeing that warrants calling him up then what are they seeing that warrants sending him back down. 55 times. He’s looked pretty much the same in GR and NHL. The kid needs some stability.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Where Cholo was drafted doesn't have a damn thing to do with where he is at now as a prospect or player. The relevant question is how best to develop him as a player moving forward. There is little question in my mind that his skating, hands, vision and passing are worth the continued developmental investment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad