Recalled/Assigned: Cholowski Recalled (Sent Back to GR 3/3)

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Cholowski's play certainly has not met expectations of the organization this year. As Yzerman said in his press conference, players are playing for next year. This next stint may determine if he remains with the organization, or is dealt in the off season.

Reactions: Snuggs

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Cholowski's play certainly has not met expectations of the organization this year. As Yzerman said in his press conference, players are playing for next year. This next stint may determine if he remains with the organization, or is dealt in the off season.

Yeah, he hasn't been good 5-on-5, but always interesting to see what happens after some development phase at Griffins.

We know Kronwall is working with him, and young players... will usually develop! Believe or not.

Zadina looked bad at september, but then looked great after 2 months down there. I think the Griffins team is a bit struggling, but the player develoment has been done well there. Liked what Givani Smith did look. When guys come up, they seem to look better than last time I saw them.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Kind of better fit to current roster. Not a warm body move. "Warm body move" is moving Ericsson up or down.

Do we need a press conference from Yzerman to inform this?

Yeah, that'd be nice actually. Yzerman hasn't said a word about Cholowski since he got here.

How is he a better fit on an even more depleted roster that just got torched by NJ?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
He is still just 22 but honestly I have been expecting to hear better things about him at this point especially after how many people pumped his tires after the first year or two. I like to give defenseman until about 24 year old before you can get a firm idea of what they bring in the NHL so he still has a window but its closing and doesn't have a great trend.

His ceiling almost feels like salvageable roster player possible lower end PP QB at this point. Am I off?

I still wish they would promote these guys. I would rather watch these guys flop and know what we are in for than keep trying to squeeze the last ounce of development they can get in the AHL when they are already roaring into their 20's

It would make the team more fun to watch because at least we can evaluate where our real holes are going to be instead of wondering who is going to be available to help this core.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
His ceiling almost feels like salvageable roster player possible lower end PP QB at this point. Am I off?

I believe so, yes.

I think there is still room for him to grow into the type of player that you want on the ice for 28 minutes a night. How likely is that? My pct would be higher than anyone else, but you are asking about his ceiling.

I think the fact that he's looked bad, had bad advanced stats, and a bad plus/minus while literally playing most of his minutes in his own end with the likes of Daley/Biega and Nielson, is way less concerning than most seem to think.

Cholowski is a heads up possession player, and as he matures, I expect him to log a lot of minutes with top players, and not spend very much time pinned in his own end.

I'd invite some posters to try and keep tabs on him for each second tonight or the next game. You will probably see those 1, 2 or 3 shifts where everything falls apart. But in between you will see so many nifty ways that Cholowski corrals and advances possession for us. I like to count how many clean zone entries he sets up at the end of his shift before changing. It can be impressive.

He's coming off about 10 really strong games in a row for GR. Hoping to see a Zadina like difference in him this stint.

Reactions: Retire91

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Because Bowey is terrible and Daley and Ericsson are just playing to not die before the end of the year?

All of those things have been true for the whole year. Bowey is about to set a career high in GP.

How does your post support the idea that Cholowski is being brought up because the development or competitive environment is better than it was a couple weeks or months ago?

There are more open spots, yes, but my contention to begin with would be that if Cholowski is being played based on what's available, that's a serious mis-evaluation/calculation from the DRW.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
All of those things have been true for the whole year. Bowey is about to set a career high in GP.

How does your post support the idea that Cholowski is being brought up because the development or competitive environment is better than it was a couple weeks or months ago?

There are more open spots, yes, but my contention to begin with would be that if Cholowski is being played based on what's available, that's a serious mis-evaluation/calculation from the DRW.

Well, nobody really knew what the deadline would bring: Would Green, Daley, Cholowski, Biega, Bowey, etc still be with the team? Who still needs a roster spot? What are the lineups going to look like?

I mean, now those guys know their immediate futures and the team knows their immediate futures; the developmental evaluations can really start (in an adverse environment, no less).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, that'd be nice actually. Yzerman hasn't said a word about Cholowski since he got here.

How is he a better fit on an even more depleted roster that just got torched by NJ?

Because he is our best PP defenceman with Hronek.

What is the problem for you in this discussion?

Nothing but power-play hierarchy, Green was showcased and was sold. Cholowski had more PP ice-time at Griffins at same time and lesser pressure for ES defensive game, maybe learn some things. Now he'll get the main PP role, like he had at start of the season, when Green was injured.

Clear and simple. Don't have to debate about this.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Because he is our best PP defenceman with Hronek.

What is the problem for you in this discussion?

Nothing but power-play hierarchy, Green was showcased and was sold. Cholowski had more PP ice-time at Griffins at same time and lesser pressure for ES defensive game, maybe learn some things. Now he'll get the main PP role, like he had at start of the season, when Green was injured.

Clear and simple. Don't have to debate about this.

Lots of things we don't have to debate about around here these days it seems. So I guess I'll keep the rest of my opinion to myself, even though you were quoting my posts.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Well, nobody really knew what the deadline would bring: Would Green, Daley, Cholowski, Biega, Bowey, etc still be with the team? Who still needs a roster spot? What are the lineups going to look like?

I mean, now those guys know their immediate futures and the team knows their immediate futures; the developmental evaluations can really start (in an adverse environment, no less).

I'm down with that 100% if that's how you evaluate Cholowski's spot in the org.

But I also have my own opinions about the value of Cholowski, and if I'm not mistaken, a fan discussion board would be the place to express those.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I'm down with that 100% if that's how you evaluate Cholowski's spot in the org.

But I also have my own opinions about the value of Cholowski, and if I'm not mistaken, a fan discussion board would be the place to express those.

Hey, I'm not trying to tell you not to form and express your own opinion; even though we might not agree, you're still entitled to it, and discussing it civilly is the way to go.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Hey, I'm not trying to tell you not to form and express your own opinion; even though we might not agree, you're still entitled to it, and discussing it civilly is the way to go.

For sure, appreciate ya. My apologies for being short. I should have just elaborated that you hit my frustration with how he has been handled on the nose, in that there were other considerations and priorities revolving around his usage that I see as poor talent recognition/bravery from the bench/front office, but others might see as par for the course for a less than blue chip prospect.

So my negativity/pessimism on this issue is to try and relay how it looks from my side of the fence, not to bring everybody down into an isolated conspiracy I'm fixated on re: one of our more misunderstood or overlooked players.

I am chomping at the bit to see how this game goes tonight!

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
If I were running the team, cholo would be in the nhl working out his kinks. Put him with a solid stay at home guy like nemeth (or Lindstrom, who I think looked ready for a shut down third pair role)

It still irks me that they scratched him for his homecoming last year (when I think he was actually playing well still) I know it’s a business but that just felt unprofessional and dickish. Pretty sure his play really dropped after that too.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If I were running the team, cholo would be in the nhl working out his kinks. Put him with a solid stay at home guy like nemeth (or Lindstrom, who I think looked ready for a shut down third pair role)

It still irks me that they scratched him for his homecoming last year (when I think he was actually playing well still) I know it’s a business but that just felt unprofessional and dickish. Pretty sure his play really dropped after that too.

Nemeth-Hronek
Cholo-McIlrath
whoever-whoever

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Nemeth-Hronek
Cholo-McIlrath
whoever-whoever
I don’t know any more. It’s getting exhausting. I couldn’t be a gm. I’d lose it and just trade everyone. I’d ice a whole team of ping pong balls next year.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don’t know any more. It’s getting exhausting. I couldn’t be a gm. I’d lose it and just trade everyone. I’d ice a whole team of ping pong balls next year.

Defense often develop slowly.
There's chance Cholo spends all next year in the minors, then spends a year or two as a third pairing/7th defenseman before he hits his stride.

We don't have to be impatient.
I wasn't supportive of impatience with youth when we were a declining 100-point team.
No way I'm going to advocate giving up on prospects when we are a 40 point team.

Not saying Cholo will be Tony DeAngelo, but DeAngelo, at Cholo's stage of his career, was like so
AHL - 29 games 2-11-13 -12
NHL - 32 games 0-8-8 -18

Cholo this year:
AHL - 27 games 3-9-12 -12
NHL - 34 games 2-6-8 -27.

DeAngelo this year. D+6: 61 games 13-34-47 +16.

Last edited:

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
There's chance Cholo spends all next year in the minors, then spends a year or two as a third pairing/7th defenseman before he hits his stride.

I wasn't supportive of impatience with youth when we were a declining 100-point team.
No way I'm going to advocate giving up on prospects when we are a 40 point team.

Not saying Cholo will be Tony DeAngelo, but DeAngelo, at Cholo's stage of his career, was like so
NHL - 32 games 0-8-8 -18

Cholo this year:

I like cholo. He’s been rushed from the very beginning and I never understood it. I just think he needs to be in one place with one line mate for an extended period of time. The guy is tossed around like a yo-yo.

Reactions: MBH and saska sault

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie

NHL - 32 games 0-8-8 -18

Cholo this year:

Lots of impatience amongst fans this year but.. With sucking this bad, everyone looks alot worse than they are. Everyone is playing above where they should be slotted and some in a league they shouldn't even be in. Cholo still has good potential, and is very young.. He's got a couple years still of trying to figure it out before the Wings give up on him. No point trading away cheap, home grown talent before you know what you have during a rebuild.

Reactions: MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I like cholo. He’s been rushed from the very beginning and I never understood it. I just think he needs to be in one place with one line mate for an extended period of time. The guy is tossed around like a yo-yo.

I really didn't think he was that hot in the pre-season of his rookie year when he "earned" the spot on the team.
For whatever reason, Holland and co decided Rasmussen and Cholo needed to start on the NHL club.
Early on that rookie year, Cholo was blowing away any expectations I had and looked so dangerous running the point on the PP.
But after about 10-20 games, it went downhill fast and he's just looked overmatched ever since.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I really didn't think he was that hot in the pre-season of his rookie year when he "earned" the spot on the team.
For whatever reason, Holland and co decided Rasmussen and Cholo needed to start on the NHL club.
Early on that rookie year, Cholo was blowing away any expectations I had and looked so dangerous running the point on the PP.
But after about 10-20 games, it went downhill fast and he's just looked overmatched ever since.
I felt the same. If he would have started in the AHL (essentially only playing on the weekends) I got a feeling he thrives for more than 20 games and builds a much better foundation for his career.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

NHL - 32 games 0-8-8 -18

Cholo this year:

DeAngelo had 43 points in 69 games in the AHL 2 years before that, so even the most minuscule amount context makes this a poor comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad