Recalled/Assigned: Cholowski Recalled (Sent Back to GR 3/3)

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
There's a big spot open on the Red Wings PP for Cholowski. Green gone and Hronek injured.
Hronek was in a regular practice jersey today, so it's possible he plays tomorrow. Still Cholo could man the 2ndPP. With Zadina & Fabbri out Bowey's likely to be there also. I'd "load up" the 1st unit, let them play 1:30 of each PP.

?
Bert-Larkin-Mantha
Cholo-Hronek

?
Gagner-Flip-Helm
Frans-Bowey

Last edited:

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Because there’s a gaping hole open and why wouldn’t we want a player like Cholo to get more ice time in the NHL?

Because there's been nothing standing in the way of ice time in the NHL for Cholowski to begin with, and the GM literally just said yesterday that getting the Griffins into the playoffs was his top priority. Now they will be without one of their best d-men for the next 3 games.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Truthfully, I haven’t followed much on Cholowski and haven’t really been tracking his development. I know when we took him that he was one of Wright’s/Holland’s long term projects and I have to imagine Yzerman needs to make a determination on his ceiling as well sometime soon.

Anyone whose been following closer than me, can you give me rundown on how Cholowski has looked and where you think he’ll ultimately end up?

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Because there's been nothing standing in the way of ice time in the NHL for Cholowski to begin with, and the GM literally just said yesterday that getting the Griffins into the playoffs was his top priority. Now they will be without one of their best d-men for the next 3 games.
I think player development is his top priority. That is one aspect as a whole. Individual players need individual treatment. I don’t remember him ranking his priorities.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I think player development is his top priority. That is one aspect as a whole. Individual players need individual treatment. I don’t remember him ranking his priorities.

So you think this is a player development move, not a "we need a warm body" move?

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Cholowski getting NHL time is better than AHL time. Winning in the big leagues takes priority over anything.. And development at the NHL level is a long term investment. This board has got a weird vibe lately... The season sucks, we all know that... But the conversations don't have to.

Somebody having a different perspective from you doesn't render a conversation negative...

Anyways, if what you say is true, why was Cholowski sent down to the AHL the last time, or the time before?

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Somebody having a different perspective from you doesn't render a conversation negative...

Anyways, if what you say is true, why was Cholowski sent down to the AHL the last time, or the time before?

I'm all for debate and disagreements. I have them at my workplace all shift, talking sports and chewing the fat. Makes the shift fly by. .. It's less enjoyable when it's nagging back and forth and for lack of a better word, nitpicking every syllable of someone's comment.

As for Cholo, and is usually the case for a large majority of young players.. They come up to see the game, and it's speed and skill and see where they fit in. Get direction from coaches and are sent back to work on it until they are ready to compete at the NHL level with their shortcomings. That would be my best guess. Not every player sticks their first try, and Cholo may never. Who knows, but it will be fun to watch him continue to develop, I like his offensive potential.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Because in GR he can play large minutes in a lower atmosphere and develop away from the spotlight. What exactly is the complaint here anyway! You realize that we have less players after trading Green, and injuries as well right? We still need to ice an NHL roster and him playing with 17 games to go in a season that has nothing on the line is a great time to let him play. And as saska said, he can come up get direction from the head coach and if he goes back down work on his negative game aspects.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019

Because of inner organization conversations that we aren’t privy to? Geez. Not everything is back and white, guy.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Cholowski getting NHL time is better than AHL time. Winning in the big leagues takes priority over anything.. And development at the NHL level is a long term investment. This board has got a weird vibe lately... The season sucks, we all know that... But the conversations don't have to.
Discussions have been terrible. Whether you agree or disagree people get offended like someone is attacking them and trying to pick up a fight. I do not get it.

I really got shocked the other day when a kid asked me how Hasek traded himself to the wings. We who have followed the game for some time know that Hasek, Roy, Lindros traded themselves, to name a few.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Because in GR he can play large minutes in a lower atmosphere and develop away from the spotlight. What exactly is the complaint here anyway! You realize that we have less players after trading Green, and injuries as well right? We still need to ice an NHL roster and him playing with 17 games to go in a season that has nothing on the line is a great time to let him play. And as saska said, he can come up get direction from the head coach and if he goes back down work on his negative game aspects.

Yes. That's my complaint. Cholowski's development seems to be secondary to our injury and depth situations.

Because of inner organization conversations that we aren’t privy to? Geez. Not everything is back and white, guy.

So elaborating on my personal perspective is creating a dichotomy in the narrative? Why not offer up a counter argument, or propose a positive spin of your own, or mediate the conversation neutrally? Acting like Cholowski's path this year hasn't been noticeably volatile is completely disingenuous imo. Joking about that is how we got to the topic.

I'm all for debate and disagreements. I have them at my workplace all shift, talking sports and chewing the fat. Makes the shift fly by. .. It's less enjoyable when it's nagging back and forth and for lack of a better word, nitpicking every syllable of someone's comment.

Yeah, I'm not sure why it's difficult to let posts and posters stand on their own in discussions here. Everyone wants to draw connections between an opposing viewpoint and a perceived echo chamber and overarching narrative. When like you say, it's not really that hard to hear someone out and keep a conversation going at a water cooler.

As for Cholo, and is usually the case for a large majority of young players.. They come up to see the game, and it's speed and skill and see where they fit in. Get direction from coaches and are sent back to work on it until they are ready to compete at the NHL level with their shortcomings. That would be my best guess. Not every player sticks their first try, and Cholo may never. Who knows, but it will be fun to watch him continue to develop, I like his offensive potential.

That all makes sense and I look forward to Cholowski having the opportunity to take advantage. It also makes sense to point out that the pattern of his transactions this year have seemingly more closely followed injury and trade concerns than a set plan. I think he is one of our best prospects, if not the best, so my sensitivity to the situation may differ from most.

He's still charting as someone that is going to register as a huge surprise imo. His reads and possession abilities stand to have huge, sustainable impacts if he can continue to work on his lateral mobility, strength and endurance. I do not think he is an offensive bit player.

So I'd like to be permitted to joke about my frustration with the situation, considering it stems from me being more optimistic than the mean.

And all of that said, and with your guys level heads in mind... I'm still pissed that this is happening a game after the trade deadline, and when the GM specifically said how heavily he was considering GR making the playoffs.

The dubiousness of that reality is something I feel comfortable arguing for. But I'll also be tuning in to see if the Red Wings dare play him significant minutes/matchups, hoping you guys can see how dope his effect on possession and zone times can be.

He has been looking more formidable his last few rounds after a nasty plateau in the middle of the year, and I will happily concede to the DRW brilliance, if it turns out that they have just been suping the guy up at each curve ala Zadina, and Cholowski is nearing being brought into the permanent fold.

Reactions: saska sault

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad