Chinese hockey?

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
If you don't have players that are good enough, maybe you shouldn't participate... That team shouldn't be called China, but Kunlun Red Star.

Sure... Canada, Finland and Russia don't care, but how should people in Denmark feel when China beats them?
Pshhhh. If China can't find tenders, then they're not beating shit.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
This team is a middle finger to all teams that really work hard and develop their own talent. Allowing that disgraceful team shows how terrible IIHF really is.
Not just IIHF, i mean look other sports like athletics, handball and football too. It is very common.

Also back in the day Germany had quite a few NA born players, Kazakhstan too. They have to start with something in order to grow the sport, it only comes with success. Especially in a country with not much team sport culture like China.

hypereconomist

Mar 10, 2019
Any idea who the netminders will be?

So far it would be a combination of:

Paris O'Brien
Jordan Liem
Derek Dun
Zehao Sun

All four are playing in the VHL right now and Jordan Liem is the only starter.

With such a physically small defense and non-existent goaltending, I don't see how they don't get lit up by the Top 12. Considering the stretch of "Chinese" ancestry on some of their other players (e.g. Foo), China really dropped the ball by not naturalizing a goalie that doesn't have Chinese ancestry.

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018

Paris O'Brien
Jordan Liem
Derek Dun
Zehao Sun

With such a physically small defense and non-existent goaltending, I don't see how they don't get lit up by the Top 12. Considering the stretch of "Chinese" ancestry on some of their other players (e.g. Foo), China really dropped the ball by not naturalizing a goalie that doesn't have Chinese ancestry.
Yikes, that's quite brutal. Could you imagine if the NHL participated? Games would seriously be 40-0 (a bit of an exaggeration). I'm not saying they will, but that would be awful for China.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com

Paris O'Brien
Jordan Liem
Derek Dun
Zehao Sun

It's not at all clear that Foo is a stretch of Chinese ancestry.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
If the player has two passports (like USA and China) he needs to play two full, consecutive seasons in China to be able to play for China.
If he just has one passport there could be an exception from that rule (has been done before, e.g. Liam Stewart who holds two passports (GB and NZL) but didn't play neither in GB nor in NZL by the time he wanted to play internationally for GBR).

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
His dad, grandfather, and great-grandfather are West Indian. His actual Chinese ancestors were there in the 1800s. I'd call that a stretch
One of my best friends is chinese, and his last name is "Chen", but because his parents came to the pacific islands in the 1800s, his last name is spelled differently than that. I also have other friends whose parents immigrated to peru, or malaysia, vietnam. I don't know that we ever stopped considering them chinese...

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Chinese MHL team won its 1st game... with 10 skaters (6 defensemen and 4 forwards) vs Dinamo Moscow. So most of Chinese players left the team for the national team, and ORG Junior won its first 2 points at the tournament. It looks like Chinese players don't help the team a lot...

VP

Jul 1, 2016
I wonder what this corona outbreak is doing to Chinese Olympic 2022 project. They have lot of two passport players which are hopefully coming back to China next season. At the moment situation is much worse in North America.

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
In 10 years the situation may very well be worse than now.
Yup, this could definitely be true. With their history of corruption in other sports programs, I wouldn't incredibly surprised if something happened with hockey. I'm hoping the recent pop culture shift and global support will help them pull through, though.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Almost 10 years of this first post. Still nothing to see.

Hockey is a sport that doesn't blow up overnight. I think it's been mentioned before on this website somewhere that China has a situation similar to Japan. Only certain colder areas of the country is where hockey thrives.

Agreed. It's going to take awhile

This is what I mentioned a couple years ago:

I could see China loving hockey (moreso than Japan), but I still think it's going to take a long while before any big interest takes place. Even if its only 2-3% growth in the sport, that's still growing the game.

I feel like the Chinese market has so much untapped potential with that billion population that it has. If they were to take a liking, the sport could spread rapidly.

Has there been any growth of the sport at all? Basketball is currently the nations thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad