Chinese hockey?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Is there any viable evidence showing hockey growth in China? When I see Kunlun highlights on the KHL's youtube page, it doesn't seem like the arena is full at times.

I just don't see China being a hockey powerhouse, unless they can gather players through naturalization.

In soccer there's been huge growth, massive investment, and still they're not even a regional powerhouse. But in that sport China is abandoning the requirement of Chinese ethnic origin when it comes to naturalization and will probably have a number of Brazilians playing in the national team already in the nearest future.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Thanks. If everyone has to be of Chinese heritage this team is going to be record setting awful.
They're barely any players of Chinese heritage in hockey in general, let alone anyone actually in China. That's kinda surprising though given they're the third most common ethnic heritage among Canadians who don't originate from the British Isles (only French Canadians and German Canadians outnumber them).

Reactions: Aerrol

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
So they've been making some big moves recently on the forwards front, which is good, but they need to make more moves on the defensive front.

Brandon Yip - Cory Kane - Spencer Foo
Garet Hunt - Brandon Magee - Tyler Wong
Chris Seto - Alex Riche - Greg Squires
Yang Hu - Rudi Ying - Luke Lockhart

Victor Bartley - Brayden Jaw
Zach Yuen - Jason Fram
Mikael Tam - Tianyu Hu

That forward group is pretty good but they still need another defenseman so that they will have 3 good defensive lines.

hypereconomist

Mar 10, 2019
So they've been making some big moves recently on the forwards front, which is good, but they need to make more moves on the defensive front.

Brandon Yip - Cory Kane - Spencer Foo
Garet Hunt - Brandon Magee - Tyler Wong
Chris Seto - Alex Riche - Greg Squires
Yang Hu - Rudi Ying - Luke Lockhart

Zach Yuen - Jason Fram
Mikael Tam - Tianyu Hu

That forward group is pretty good but they still need another defenseman so that they will have 3 good defensive lines.

They also need to make a huge move to shore up that goalie situation. S. Korea was lucky to have Matt Dalton in 2018... China currently has no one that comes close to that or has the potential to be that good.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Updated lineup

Brandon Yip - Cory Kane - Tyler Wong
Garet Hunt - Luke Lockhart - Spencer Foo
Brandon Magee - Alex Riche - Greg Squires
Chris Seto - Rudi Ying - Yang Hu

Extra: Dustin Mowrey

Zach Yuen - Jason Fram
Mikael Tam - Mike Chen
Austin Cho - Ty Schultz

Alex Riche still hasn't cleared for some reason, this is assuming he does.

Thing is, this lineup. It's not bad. It's strongest on the right wing, much weaker down the middle and on the left. However, I mean these are quality players.

Also, Ethan Werek has China ancestry and has a Chinese passport. I don't figure he'd play for China because he already represented Canada so it'd take 4 years as opposed to 2? But if they got him a waiver.

Brandon Yip - Ethan Werek - Tyler Wong
Cory Kane - Luke Lockhart - Spencer Foo
Garet Hunt - Brandon Magee - Greg Squires
Chris Seto - Alex Riche - Yang Hu

If they could get these lines, they'd have at least two lines which would always be a threat to score on at least a mid-minor team and also likely a mid-major team as well.

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
Updated lineup

Zach Yuen - Jason Fram
Mikael Tam - Mike Chen
Austin Cho - Ty Schultz

Thing is, this lineup. It's not bad. It's strongest on the right wing, much weaker down the middle and on the left. However, I mean these are quality players.

Also, Ethan Werek has China ancestry and has a Chinese passport. I don't figure he'd play for China because he already represented Canada so it'd take 4 years as opposed to 2? But if they got him a waiver.

If they could get these lines, they'd have at least two lines which would always be a threat to score on at least a mid-minor team and also likely a mid-major team as well.

Any idea who the netminders will be?

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
This team is a middle finger to all teams that really work hard and develop their own talent. Allowing that disgraceful team shows how terrible IIHF really is.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Most are happy to dress non-homegrown ones when the opportunity arises, even Canada has had a number of such players despite having absolutely no need to do so.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Most are happy to dress non-homegrown ones when the opportunity arises, even Canada has had a number of such players despite having absolutely no need to do so.

Great, but this is not a few guys, this time you have a team basically made out of people without any connection to the country, playing in an Russian leagues for a team based somewhere else, representing a country that can barely play in D2B in all categories. That team (once again, the whole team!) has no connection to chinese hockey, only to the Kunlun organisation.
Why do we even have national events when they are the same like club events?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The NHL is an American league with the best teams from Canada. The KHL a Russian league with the best teams from Finland, Latvia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, and China. Other leagues like this exist too, it's normal in hockey. The domestic competition in China would be much too weak to prepare players for the Olympics. Arguably only Finland would manage without their KHL team, for all other countries involved losing it would be a disaster.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
The NHL is an American league with the best teams from Canada. The KHL a Russian league with the best teams from Finland, Latvia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, and China. Other leagues like this exist too, it's normal in hockey. The domestic competition in China would be much too weak to prepare players for the Olympics. Arguably only Finland would manage without their KHL team, for all other countries involved losing it would be a disaster.

The point is that players on that team have nothing to do with hockey in China.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Updated lineup

Zach Yuen - Jason Fram
Mikael Tam - Mike Chen
Austin Cho - Ty Schultz

Looking to
2020 IIHF ICE HOCKEY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP Division II, Group A (CROATIA, Zagreb) in April. If they will be promoted.

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
The point is that players on that team have nothing to do with hockey in China.
Yeah, I doubt the IIHF really cares about this hence the fact that the Chinese team would get absolutely slaughtered if they couldn't have naturalized players. I mean, Chinese players can hardly keep up with the talent in the VHL. Could you imagine them competing against players in the SHL or the KHL?

Having a better national team could help raise awareness of the sport so they can one day have the talent to not get swamped without naturalized talent.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
This team is a middle finger to all teams that really work hard and develop their own talent. Allowing that disgraceful team shows how terrible IIHF really is.

I get not liking the naturalization process (which is more common in football/soccer), but WHERE and WHO are these prospects that Chinese clubs are developing? If China wants to be in that competitive space, at least naturalized players will bring some competition in.

I think I touched on it before on this thread, the best way for Chinese prospects to develop is by going through the Russian system in the VHL. The program would not produce quality talent if it is stuck playing in Asian leagues with no other competition.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
I get not liking the naturalization process (which is more common in football/soccer), but WHERE and WHO are these prospects that Chinese clubs are developing? If China wants to be in that competitive space, at least naturalized players will bring some competition in.

If you don't have players that are good enough, maybe you shouldn't participate... That team shouldn't be called China, but Kunlun Red Star.

Sure... Canada, Finland and Russia don't care, but how should people in Denmark feel when China beats them?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->