Chinese hockey?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
No one in China sees the men's ice hockey team's performance at the Winter Olympics as a humiliating performance. Even the initial goal set by the national team was not to lose badly when they were eliminated, and they have achieved that. Ice hockey has been played in China in the past year, though more often in tournaments such as the national Winter Games than in leagues. Meanwhile, the women's professional league(allowing teams to sign foreign players) is underway, with playoffs scheduled for late January. There are also more and more youth leagues and tournaments.
On the other hand, hockey is not the only sport, nor is it special. So what if Chinese hockey sucks? More fans are still focused on the NHL or KHL, and the NHL's inability to compete with NBA or MLB in the Chinese market is their problem, not the problem of Chinese hockey. Chinese soccer is much worse, but that doesn't stop fans from paying to watch European leagues.
This so-called women's "professional" league consists of three separate one-week tournaments. In other words three weeks of play without home games or anything of that sort.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I still come back to this thread every once in a while..

Still very skeptical on how China will develop into a hockey 'powerhouse' over time. They would need a domestic junior-minor-major tier system that (I don't think) is in place. Excuse my ignorance, but what sports are popular over there? Basketball has to be a number 1?

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I still come back to this thread every once in a while..

Still very skeptical on how China will develop into a hockey 'powerhouse' over time. They would need a domestic junior-minor-major tier system that (I don't think) is in place. Excuse my ignorance, but what sports are popular over there? Basketball has to be a number 1?

Outside of the individual sports like track and field, tennis, badminton, table tennis, swimming, and the like, the most popular team sport in China is indeed basketball and by a wide margin. Soccer is distant second.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Table tennis, badminton etc. are also team sports with professional leagues in China. But besides these also volleyball is quite popular.

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
1 billion people? CCP will pluck 100 out and turn them into unbeatable robots. With Canadian coaches of course.
Its a mathematical certainty..
All the gear is made in China already.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
1 billion people? CCP will pluck 100 out and turn them into unbeatable robots. With Canadian coaches of course.
Its a mathematical certainty..
All the gear is made in China already.
Yup, like in soccer earlier this week where after decades and billions of dollars of investment they didn't score a single goal in the Asian Cup group stage as they were eliminated by Qatar, Tajikistan, and Lebanon.

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
Yup, like in soccer earlier this week where after decades and billions of dollars of investment they didn't score a single goal in the Asian Cup group stage as they were eliminated by Qatar, Tajikistan, and Lebanon.
Ok, but we are talking about real sports. 0-0 in soccer is about as common as the sun rising in the east.

Reactions: mattihp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad