Chicago!

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
They’ve played 25 games and won 7 actual hockey games (regulation/5 on 5). Those 7 are against DET x4, CBJ x2, and CAR.

Only 7 teams have a worse regulation win % in the NHL.

2-4-3 against TB, CAR, FLA with one win coming in a shootout against McBackup.

I don’t think they’re over performing as much as it seems but they are doing a great job at collecting OT points, specifically against bad teams.

Could sneak in the 4th spot but at this point I’d still take Dallas despite the injuries/Covid.

Here’s what you’re not taking into account:

The team has dramatically improved since its abysmal start. I’d bet the majority of those win/loss results look much differently over their past 15 games or so.

They just played back-to-back games vs TB and didn’t look outmatched. A fairly even 2 games between both sides. Also they performed very well in their last couple games vs CAR. Whereas to start the season they had like 5-6 consecutive tough outings vs TB and FLA.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
They’ve played 25 games and won 7 actual hockey games (regulation/5 on 5). Those 7 are against DET x4, CBJ x2, and CAR.

I don’t think they’re over performing as much as it seems but they are doing a great job at collecting OT points, specifically against bad teams.

Could sneak in the 4th spot but at this point I’d still take Dallas despite the injuries/Covid.

You’re saying a team missing Jonathan Toews and Kirby Dach (as well as Shaw, Nylander, Murphy for a stretch, Debrincat and Boqvist for a stretch) AREN’T over performing?

Because they play a lot of OT games? You realize you have to be tied with a team to go to OT, right? They also started 0-3 with a .860 sv% from a goalie who is now getting lit up in the AHL. Can we throw those games out since we are cherry-picking?

This team was talked about with Detroit and Ottawa.

Stop.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida

You don't think they are outperforming? Detroit, Ottawa and Chicago were pretty much every educated prognosticators choice for bottom 3 in the league.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
You’re saying a team missing Jonathan Toews and Kirby Dach (as well as Shaw, Nylander, Murphy for a stretch, Debrincat and Boqvist for a stretch) AREN’T over performing?

Because they play a lot of OT games? You realize you have to be tied with a team to go to OT, right? They also started 0-3 with a .860 sv% from a goalie who is now getting lit up in the AHL. Can we throw those games out since we are cherry-picking?

This team was talked about with Detroit and Ottawa.

Stop.
You may have missed the “as much as it seems”. Certainly playing above expectations.

I just think rather than “the team some expected to finish 29th has been a top 10 team” we’re more looking at “the team some expected to finish 29th is playing like the ~20th best team”.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Anyone catch today’s game? Hawks vs Refs from the UC.

The refs did a really good job coming back from down 3 goals vs the Hawks in that 2nd period.

Reactions: Muffinalt and Pez68

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
It's been a progression. First we were getting blown out (first three games), then we were losing in ties then winning in OT. Now we're trying to learn to hold a lead.

Incidentally, the first four games were against Tampa and Florida and we have a ton of rookies, new goalies and several new guys on the team.

Do I think we're cup contenders? No. But it's a good trajetory and certainly better than the one Dallas is on.

And tonight we're learning how to try to beat the refs.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hawks threw massive temper tantrums today and couldn't stay out of the box. 6 unanswered goals, this team isn't making the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Macho King

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Using refs as an excuse for why you lost 6-3 is sad, man.

So you’re saying 2 embarrassing bad soft penalty calls that result in goals and then a 2/3D ejected on a hard hit doesn’t change a game?

It was 3-0 Hawks when this happened, by the way.

I’m sure you only checked the scoresheet and didn’t watch or you wouldn’t be saying something so dumb. So I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Lol? Are you even watching?

2 soft penalty calls, 2 PP goals, then a 5 and a game on another suspect call...

The defending champs have needed all the help in the world to make it 3-3 against the terrible Hawks.
You're right I wasn't watching at all and it was a joke...however I can see your post hasn't aged well.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
So you’re saying 2 embarrassing bad soft penalty calls that result in goals and then a 2/3D ejected on a hard hit doesn’t change a game?

It was 3-0 Hawks when this happened, by the way.

I’m sure you only checked the scoresheet and didn’t watch or you wouldn’t be saying something so dumb. So I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.
You know teams are allowed to kill of penalties, yes?

The Murphy hit also deserved the ejection.

Blaming refs is a losers excuse. Being up 3-0 at that point makes your argument even worse

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Hawks threw massive temper tantrums today and couldn't stay out of the box. 6 unanswered goals, this team isn't making the playoffs.

Recap:

Up 3-0, with all the momentum, the refs call a phantom ticky tack BS call on Hagel...and then sure as shit Palat scores 10 seconds into that undeserved PP.

Later when it was 3-3(after TB tied it using another PP goal from another questionable call, though this one was at least understandable) DeBrincat in alone on a breakaway gets taken down from behind...no call. Nothing. Play on.

Then Murphy, one of our best PKers, delivers a clean hit that gets called as a MATCH PENALTY...and gets ejected. And oh yeah, another 5 min PP. And poof! Just like that it’s 4-3 going into the 3rd.

well done zebras.

And u wonder why the Hawks players were upset??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad