Chicago!

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
2nd in division with 22 points and 9 wins from last 14 games (.650).

They are doing great, especially in their last 10.

But Florida, Tampa and Carolina all have 4 games in hand.

And don’t forget Dallas. They are kind of struggling a little bit, but they have 6 games in hand!!

some teams have too many games in hand. I think we have to look at pts % to have a better picture. And Chicago would be 4th, which is still very good!

Reactions: Mrfenn92

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
Please explain the difference between a drafted goalie that spends a few years seasoning in the AHL, and Kevin Lankinen. Thanks.

Most goalies don't break into the NHL until their mid 20's, FYI.

*sigh* you can call a player who's played six years against grown ass men a rookie if it makes you feel better. Just like Panarin won the Calder when he had spent seven years in the KHL. I don't mind, they are both awesome. I just don't have to agree with the NHL criteria of being a rookie in the game, that is all.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
*sigh* you can call a player who's played six years against grown ass men a rookie if it makes you feel better. Just like Panarin won the Calder when he had spent seven years in the KHL. I don't mind, they are both awesome. I just don't have to agree with the NHL criteria of being a rookie in the game, that is all.

Goalies are completely different, as very few goalies make the NHL before 23-26.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

And don’t forget Dallas. They are kind of struggling a little bit, but they have 6 games in hand!!

some teams have too many games in hand. I think we have to look at pts % to have a better picture. And Chicago would be 4th, which is still very good!

They have to play those 4 games, before getting any points, besides they will be taking points from each other.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
To be fair, they are 4th in the division by points percentage, and four of their 9 wins in those 14 games have come from the Red Wings. The only team to play that many games against Detroit are the Panthers (3-1). Without playing the Red Wings they are 5-5-4, which is certainly better than many anticipated but not exactly lighting the division on fire.

Every team in that division will play against Detroit, so your argument is flawed and moo point.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
They’re 9-5-4 with four wins vs Detroit. Don’t get the hype.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
So did you noy expect them to be basically as bad as the Wings? That's why "the hype" because going into thr season and especially after the first 4 games where they gave up 5 goals each, they weren't expected to be even 5-5-4 outside Wings wins

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Every team in that division will play against Detroit, so your argument is flawed and moo point.
And the only team to have played four games against Detroit is Florida, who is in first place and has a higher points percentage.

It is reasonable to consider how teams play against more difficult opposition, especially when it comes to predicting future success. The Red Wings have the second worst points percentage in the entire league, and Nashville is the only team close in that division (which the Blackhawks are ironically 0-2 against), so if a good portion of your wins come from the worst teams in the league then it is worth considering as far as their overall strength, especially when the same teams in the division have not had the same opportunities to beat said team.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

There's not really 'hype' so much as disbelief that a roster that SHOULD be competing with Detroit and Ottawa for worst in the league looks remarkable competent.

I mean, this is a team playing without their #1C, #2C, #2D, and a raft of kids nobody has heard of.

Now, their underlying numbers are understandably terrible given the MASSIVE holes down the middle, and they're not a threat to do ANYTHING should they make the playoffs but.... still. I think Blackhawks fans should take it as a pretty good sign of what things could look like with their top 2 centers reintroduced to the team.

I mean, imagine Edmonton without their top 2Cs. Toronto without their top 2Cs. Pittsburgh without their top 2Cs. All of those teams would be happy to have the same record, even if they looked like shit getting there, right?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

All true.

The issue in this season is that we have no idea if every team will actually play all their games.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
All this talk about Detroit but the Wings looked more threatening than the Canes, Jackets, and Stars in our games against them.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
and yes folks ... that was Malcolm Subban between the pipes with a 39 save performance and 3 for 3 in the SO. He was a beast.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Kubalik and suter have been great judging by my fantasy lol

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Good for them, as a Detroit fan, I'm rooting them on for a playoff spot - take away the temptation for the league to gift them another lottery ball.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
There's not really 'hype' so much as disbelief that a roster that SHOULD be competing with Detroit and Ottawa for worst in the league looks remarkable competent.

I mean, this is a team playing without their #1C, #2C, #2D, and a raft of kids nobody has heard of.

Now, their underlying numbers are understandably terrible given the MASSIVE holes down the middle, and they're not a threat to do ANYTHING should they make the playoffs but.... still. I think Blackhawks fans should take it as a pretty good sign of what things could look like with their top 2 centers reintroduced to the team.

I mean, imagine Edmonton without their top 2Cs. Toronto without their top 2Cs. Pittsburgh without their top 2Cs. All of those teams would be happy to have the same record, even if they looked like shit getting there, right?
Who’s the number 2 dman they’re missing? Please tell me you weren’t calling Seabrook their number 2!

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
They’ve played 25 games and won 7 actual hockey games (regulation/5 on 5). Those 7 are against DET x4, CBJ x2, and CAR.

Only 7 teams have a worse regulation win % in the NHL.

2-4-3 against TB, CAR, FLA with one win coming in a shootout against McBackup.

I don’t think they’re over performing as much as it seems but they are doing a great job at collecting OT points, specifically against bad teams.

Could sneak in the 4th spot but at this point I’d still take Dallas despite the injuries/Covid.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
They’ve played 25 games and won 7 actual hockey games (regulation/5 on 5). Those 7 are against DET x4, CBJ x2, and CAR.

Only 7 teams have a worse regulation win % in the NHL.

2-4-3 against TB, CAR, FLA with one win coming in a shootout against McBackup.

I don’t think they’re over performing as much as it seems but they are doing a great job at collecting OT points, specifically against bad teams.

Could sneak in the 4th spot but at this point I’d still take Dallas despite the injuries/Covid.

It's been a progression. First we were getting blown out (first three games), then we were losing in ties then winning in OT. Now we're trying to learn to hold a lead.

Incidentally, the first four games were against Tampa and Florida and we have a ton of rookies, new goalies and several new guys on the team.

Do I think we're cup contenders? No. But it's a good trajetory and certainly better than the one Dallas is on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad