Friedman: Chicago working on a Duncan Keith trade to a Pacific Northwest or Western Canada team

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Dude's pretty much done. Wouldn't surprise me if Edmonton traded for him, he didn't improve in any way and people ended up blaming McDavid/Draisaitl because the team still fails after they traded for a "proven winner".

Canucks fans should be happy that they're basically capped out.
I don't think anyone expects a near-40 Duncan Keith to be what puts a team over the edge. At least based on this past year though, he can still play real NHL minutes.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
he can still play. im not sure he will get a lot back but somebody will get some decent hockey out of him.

I think it will be more along the lines of what CHI is willing to attach to him to make it worth it to whatever team he wants to go to. With the flat cap, 5.5 is a pretty good size cap hit to take on for a 38 year old

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Doesn't fit. We have a logjam of left-handed defensemen (Morrissey, Heinola, Samberg, Stanley) and we aren't going to further delay the prospects' jumps to the NHL by bringing in a grizzly vet. This is Vancouver, and possibly Calgary and Seattle as alternates.

Unless chicago takes a contract back i don't think Vancouver could afford him at least pre-expansion draft.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ken Holland at his season ending availability spoke long and ramblingly about the need for "Greybeards".

I suppose Keith fits that mould, and Edmonton does have a need at LD with most reports having Klefbom done for the career, but at his age and with that contract I definitely wouldn't give up much in the way of value for Keith.

This is why Edmonton having capspace isn't necessarily a good thing, we're never guaranteed to use it intelligently.

It also doesn't make much sense for us pre-expansion since we're going 7-3-1 and the 3 being Nurse/Bear/Larsson, assuming he gets extended before the draft.

Nucks for the Cup

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
Why does Vancouver do this?

Why would Chicago agree to that?
Well seems we have different angles here. Vancouver, Juolevi has been passed by Rathbone and seriously doubt Green is gonna trust a left side of Hughes Rathbone and Juolevi next year. Juolevi is not gonna get the game time needed to progress here but he will get opportunities in Chicago. Also cap wise taking on an extra year of Keith at 2.25 is very manageable for probable 2nd pair this year then 3rd pair next. Provides a lot of veteran experience to help guys like Hughes, Rathbone maybe a Woo. From Chicago it's clear rebuild mode and taking Loui on next year does not mean much, you have lots of cap room with Shaw and Seabrook on LTIRetired. Then you get a young defensemen who hasn't been given a real chance but could be a very solid 4-5 dmen with the unlikely 2-3 potential. Your not gonna get that much for Keith in this flat cap world so why not take a lottery ticket in Juolevi who has a higher chance of becoming an NHL regular then a 2nd or 3rd round pick

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Well seems we have different angles here. Vancouver, Juolevi has been passed by Rathbone and seriously doubt Green is gonna trust a left side of Hughes Rathbone and Juolevi next year. Juolevi is not gonna get the game time needed to progress here but he will get opportunities in Chicago. Also cap wise taking on an extra year of Keith at 2.25 is very manageable for probable 2nd pair this year then 3rd pair next. Provides a lot of veteran experience to help guys like Hughes, Rathbone maybe a Woo. From Chicago it's clear rebuild mode and taking Loui on next year does not mean much, you have lots of cap room with Shaw and Seabrook on LTIRetired. Then you get a young defensemen who hasn't been given a real chance but could be a very solid 4-5 dmen with the unlikely 2-3 potential. Your not gonna get that much for Keith in this flat cap world so why not take a lottery ticket in Juolevi who has a higher chance of becoming an NHL regular then a 2nd or 3rd round pick

but Jolevi is a RFA, so chicago would not only be eating salary on keith but taking on Lou and what ever Jolevi wants for next contract.

Chicago can't afford it. They only have 6.2m in open cap space.

My thoughts is Keith to Calgary post-expansion when the Flames lose Giordano

who says Seattle is taking Gio.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
I think it will be more along the lines of what CHI is willing to attach to him to make it worth it to whatever team he wants to go to. With the flat cap, 5.5 is a pretty good size cap hit to take on for a 38 year old

Myers + 2nd for Keith

Similar cap hits, Canucks pay an early 2nd rounder to eat up the last year of Myers contract. Keith might do better closer to his son, Myers is still young enough to have a modest rebound. Operating under the assumption that Keith wants to be close to his son and Chicago is willing to do him a favor. Not sure how Vancouver works otherwise due to salary cap issues unless Chi would retain a significant amount.

Otherwise... Chi can expose him and pay Seattle to take him?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Nucks for the Cup

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
but Jolevi is a RFA, so chicago would not only be eating salary on keith but taking on Lou and what ever Jolevi wants for next contract.

Chicago can't afford it. They only have 6.2m in open cap space.
Juolevi is gonna be 1 mil tops but also their not really at 6.2 in cap space because that includes Seabrook and Keith who have both said they are basically retired so thats an extra 10 mil plus Chicago doesn't have any big RFAs to sign this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad