Chicago vs Pittsburgh: Which is the greater franchise in this generation?

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
This rivalry was already decided in the 2014 stadium series matchup. Hawks won 5-1. Hawks are the better franchise.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
2006-2007 was.....

Good research by a Penguins fan.

Derp. Sorry, it's before 7am and I need my coffee. Obviously no research involved, just going by memory.

Sorry, that still means Geno has never missed the playoffs and Sid hasn't missed them since Andy Hilbert was his linemate.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Pens vs. Hawks

Back to back > two in three years

3 in 6 years < 3 in 9 years

4 SCF appearances > 3 SCF appearances

12 playoff appearances > 9?10? playoff appearances

Pens regular season record > Hawks regular season record

Hawks have one claim to fame vs. five for the Pens.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Hawks had a 6-years glory span as an amazing team. Pens are now at 10 with possibly more.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Derp. Sorry, it's before 7am and I need my coffee. Obviously no research involved, just going by memory.

Sorry, that still means Geno has never missed the playoffs and Sid hasn't missed them since Andy Hilbert was his linemate.

Crosby missed the playoffs in his first year much like how Toews/Kane did.

Again, this was the first year missed and its hard to make the playoffs when you're missing a top 6 winger the entire year and your staring goalie misses almost 3/4 of the season.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Each side has a flaw in crowning them the beter team

Pit needing generational talents and all of those underachieving seasons prior to 2016 (in which Chicago won 3 before Pit even got to #2)

Chicago not having a back to back and only having a 2 in 3 with what was essentially a cup final loss against LA sandwiched in the middle (La stopped what would have been a 3 peat as they had 3 deep runs in a row)

You could argue for pit over the back to back and you could argue Chicago over doing it without generational help and having a ridiculous amount of cap casualty players that became stars/top line guys on other teams (Leddy, Buff, Ladd, Teuvo,Campbell, Raanta, etc)

Overall everyone will just continue to argue over who they hated less/liked more

You can't just retroactively throw that 2nd Stanley Cup in there and say they would have had the 3-peat. It's impossible to know what happens in the 3rd season if Chicago wins the back-to-back.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Winning a cup in 2009 and then disappearing from relevance for 7 years is horrible no matter how you cut it. Look at this pens fan saying “possibly 4” cups lmfao. Theyre about to get tossed.

Factor in that the east wa a joke until a year ago this whole time and the fact the hawks have flat out OWNED the pens and its the hawks by a mile.

Winning a Cup is never horrible, no matter how you cut it.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
If we're taking the past 10 years it's the Pens.

Both have 3 SC wins but the Pens have more:
SC final appearances
playoff appearances
More major individual awards like Art Ross, Hart, etc.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Washington x2 and Detroit were better than anyone the Blackhawks beat during their 3 cup runs.

Detroit was strong but doesn't count since that is too early in the "cap era". The 2012-2013 Kings were way better than any Washington team in the history of the Capitals franchise. Same with the 2013-2014 Hawks.

There's a reason why whether they played Pittsburgh or not, they never won jack. If Washington even once made it to the Final, you could have an argument. But the fact that everyone in the East rode that team like the village bicycle and that's your only claim to fame in the cap era, that really exposes Pitt as the fourth best of the Cup teams in this era.

Reactions: ColbyChaos

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Hawks won 3 cups in 6 years, no back-to-backs.

Pens won 3 cups in 8 years, with a back-to-back.

If neither team has another championship for the foreseeable future, the above will be the arguments for and against each team. Both franchises have a good argument to make. Really depends on how much a person values winning a back-to-back.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
The Hawks owned the Pens? In what, annual December games? Congrats.

In all of their meetings in the 2010's decade, the Pens are 2-11-0 vs. the Hawks with 1.6 goals for and 3.5 goals against averages. This doesn't change the fact that the Pens have been the better franchise, but yes, head to head the Pens have sucked pretty regularly against the Hawks.

Pitt hasn't beat the Hawks since 2014, 9 games ago. Those were all in regulation.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
In all of their meetings in the 2010's decade, the Pens are 2-11-0 vs. the Hawks with 1.6 goals for and 3.5 goals against averages. This doesn't change the fact that the Pens have been the better franchise, but yes, head to head the Pens have sucked pretty regularly against the Hawks.

Pitt hasn't beat the Hawks since 2014, 9 games ago. Those were all in regulation.

And none of that matters, so cool.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Detroit was strong but doesn't count since that is too early in the "cap era". The 2012-2013 Kings were way better than any Washington team in the history of the Capitals franchise. Same with the 2013-2014 Hawks.

There's a reason why whether they played Pittsburgh or not, they never won jack. If Washington even once made it to the Final, you could have an argument. But the fact that everyone in the East rode that team like the village bicycle and that's your only claim to fame in the cap era, that really exposes Pitt as the fourth best of the Cup teams in this era.

-ROFL

-Washington Presidents Trophy Winning teams

-121 points, 120 points

-Chicago and LA have never, not in franchise history, ever, been remotely even close to either of those Washington teams.

-LOL at LA

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I literally said it doesn't matter in my post. I was simply responding to you questioning the Hawks dominating the Pens.

So, cool.

I wasn’t questioning it, I was being facetious because it matters *so* little ;)

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Playoff #s:
Cups: 3-3 Tie
Cup Finals: 4-3 Pens
Conf. Finals: 5-5 Tie
Playoff Appearances: 12-9 Pens
Playoff wins: 95-76 Pens
Playoff series won: 20-16 Pens
Peak stretch: Back-to-back cups > two cups in three years (Adv. Pens)
Total cups stretch: 3 cups in 6 years > 3 cups in 9 years (Adv. Blackhawks)
Regular Season #s:
Total Points: 1273-1212 Pens
Total Wins: 583-544 Pens
President Trophies: 1-0 Blackhawks
Conference Titles (#1 seeds): 2-1 Blackhawks
Division Titles: 3-3 Tie
Points/Game: 1.234-1.174 Pens
Points/Season: 98-93 Pens
100-point seasons: 9-7 Pens
Individual Awards:
Hart MVPs: 3-1 Pens
Art Ross Winners: 4-1 Pens
Ted Lindsey Winners: 4-1 Pens
Rocket Richard Winners: 2-0 Pens
Norris Trophies: 2-0 Blackhawks
Calder Trophies: 2-1 Blackhawks
All-NHL First Teams: 9-5 Pens
All-NHL Teams: 14-7 Pens
100-point seasons: 8-1 Pens

So judging by all these statistical comparisons, I have to say the Pens have been the more successful franchise since the lockout. That plus winning back-to-back cups in this era is easily the most impressive feat any team could accomplish in a league with such tight cap space which was made to add more parity/balance in the league. Although, until one of them can win their 4th cup, this debate could go on forever.

Last edited:

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
The east being garbage is a well known fact that was discussed in these forums nonstop. Pens even got swept by a boston team that got smoked in the final. Kings and hawks were a different tier and the se ond tier west teams were far better too.
Is that why the Pens had a way easier time beating Nashville and San Jose and their big bad West teams.

The same Nashville team that swept you guys outta the playoffs.

LA and CHI had their ride, but not even close to the success the Pens have had.

LOL @ missing the playoffs.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
-All I have to say is, the blackhawks future is so dark there isnt 1 ray of light at the end of a very, very, very long and dark tunnel. Have fun in the basement in last place, Hawks, because you are going to be there for a very long time

Hawks were holding down a playoff spot when Crawford went down. As long as he's fine, the Hawks aren't going away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad