Friedman: Chicago still interested in Faulk

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
That's fine, if we're lowballed, I don't think we have any problem keeping Skinner for the year. Flip him at deadline if we're out or keep him for the playoffs and maybe he's more likely to stay on with us. If he can net us an asset we NEED (help with a 1C, 1G, or "change of scenery") then we might trade him, otherwise I think most of us are fine with seeing how he does on a team with a new coach and better talent around him.

I dont think people are saying (or at least Im not) that Carolina will be low balled, but they wont get a haul either. Skinner wont get traded for peanuts, but he also wont return Saad+ given their contract statuses

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Skinner has a NMC and the indications are that he is unwilling to waive unless an extension is available with a destination he likes. It is speculated that a deal with the Blues already fell through due to extension talks breaking down.

I'd guess that either an extended Skinner will be moved or he will be on the Canes next year. The extension could increase his trade value, but his NMC limiting destinations could decrease the demand. I'm guessing that Free Agent options also play a large factor here. Maybe someone like the Blues (if reports were true) will meet Skinner's demands after they hear what everyone else is asking for. It is all a dance - especially with a NMC involved.

Thats completely fair. Its true that the NMC that he is exercising is putting Carolina in a bind on whether to hold or trade (for an appropriate return)

I dont want to say this is the same as the Iginla situation, but it played out similarly where Iginla hand picked essentially where he could or wanted to go, and ultimately the other team knows that too and doesnt offer much value in return.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
So does Detroit have strong interest in Justin Faulk, I'd do Svechnikov+AA for Faulk let the Svechnikov brothers play together in Carolina. If Detroit can move Howard maybe we agree to take on Darling as well.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Faulk would be a great add for Chicago IMO. Got to think it may cost more than Saad to get him to the Windy City though.

If anything it would be a straight swap due to their contracts. Skinner has minimal term left whereas saad has 3 years left and holds a lot of weight in trade value

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Thats completely fair. Its true that the NMC that he is exercising is putting Carolina in a bind on whether to hold or trade (for an appropriate return)

I dont want to say this is the same as the Iginla situation, but it played out similarly where Iginla hand picked essentially where he could or wanted to go, and ultimately the other team knows that too and doesnt offer much value in return.

That is fine, the Canes don't have to trade Skinner. The last "The Athletic" in-depth report on the Canes had them discussing internally how Skinner would fit in to the team next year. If another team wants to add a 30+ goal scorer then they can pay the price (which is rumored to be pretty high). If not then the Canes can look to make a move at the deadline.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
He's 2 years from being a UFA and isn't lighting the world on fire offensively and is poor defensively. You aren't getting a haul for him. Certainly not Saad.

Saad is a 50-55 point player, coming off a bad year, at a non-premium position with a $6 mil cap hit. He is not a "haul" relative to a 40 point player, coming off of a bad year, at a premium position with a $4.833 mil cap hit.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Saad is a 50-55 point player, coming off a bad year, at a non-premium position with a $6 mil cap hit. He is not a "haul" relative to a 40 point player, coming off of a bad year, at a premium position with a $4.833 mil cap hit.
Saad is signed for 3 more years, and is more needed on the Hawks than an offensive blue liner.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Which is exactly why we’re not interested in selling low on Saad. His underlying numbers were actually terrific last year (top 15 in 5v5 scoring chances per 60) he was just snakebitten for a large part of the year and hit his career low shooting %. I would be asking for Saad too if I was Carolina but it’s not gonna happen. Would rather bet on the highly likely possibility of Saad bouncing back than trade him for a two year stop gap in Faulk.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
We're two in a half days away from free agency signing and Chicago hasn't moved any players or contracts to really be any serious player in shoring up there defense or forward positions ?

Are they simply writing off next year to get some high draft picks and see where there youth is ? Any thoughts ?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Saad is signed for 3 more years, and is more needed on the Hawks than an offensive blue liner.

That's perfectly understandable.

The Hawks, a reflection of the fans in this case, want to add a good player without giving up one in return; they want to buy low. There's no need to talk up Saad and/or talk down Faulk to mask that intention.

Reactions: Unsustainable

The Faulker

Dec 1, 2013
Hawks fans want to buy low on Faulk with cruddy offers but act offended about the idea of selling low on Saad?

Reactions: 2Pair

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Faulk
Boqvist
Jokiharju
Beaudin
Mitchell
(+ Seabrook and Mitchell)

How many offensive right-handed D do the Hawks want on their team?

The Faulker

Dec 1, 2013
Declining an offer with a reasonable objection is acting offended now?

I'm just saying, you're claiming Saad isn't available in the trade because you'd be selling low. Then turn around and lowball for Faulk because he's coming off a down season.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Hawks fans want to buy low on Faulk with cruddy offers but act offended about the idea of selling low on Saad?
We want to buy low on Faulk because Carolina, from all the rumors and reports, are looking to trade him because they have so many other options on RD.

Us Hawks fans don't want to sell low on Saad because we have spots for him here. It's not like we're filled with more talented offensive forwards than Saad and he's being relegated to the 4th line.

We don't need to trade Saad while his value is the lowest it's been in years, and while Carolina doesn't technically need to trade Faulk while his value is low, they seem to be interested in moving him now because of how their roster is currently taking shape. Different set of circumstances.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
We're two in a half days away from free agency signing and Chicago hasn't moved any players or contracts to really be any serious player in shoring up there defense or forward positions ?

Are they simply writing off next year to get some high draft picks and see where there youth is ? Any thoughts ?

Hawks have decent amount of cap room and are in low 40's with regard to contracts

Also Hawks have never been team that leaks a lot of information and many deals come from nowhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad