Rumor: Chicago may be working on deal with Cam Ward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bashing Ward signing and calling for Mrazek?

Have you watched Mrazek over last 2 years? Ward looks like Patrick Roy compared to him

Hawks wanted stability at #2 after the disaster of last year , Bringing in Mrazek would have ensured another year of unreliable goaltending behind Crawford

Reactions: Cane mutiny

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Well, Forsberg equates to Ward production. Mrazek has shown he can be a decent goalie, its a low downside/decent upside proposition that Waite could fix him.

Ward has little upside and a lot of downside at 2.5m. If it was a 1m cheaper then its easier to justify paying up for experience. Not sure its worth 2x Forsberg but if it makes Q feel better then whatever.

I guess we know Ward will likely be reliably bad because thats what he’s been for a while now.

Last edited:

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Bashing Ward signing and calling for Mrazek?

Have you watched Mrazek over last 2 years? Ward looks like Patrick Roy compared to him

Hawks wanted stability at #2 after the disaster of last year , Bringing in Mrazek would have ensured another year of unreliable goaltending behind Crawford
Mrazek was decent in Detroit before he got traded last year and ended pretty poorly in Philly. If they came at the same price points, I’d much rather roll the dice that a 26 year old Mrazek returns to what he was two years ago than a 34 year old Ward returns to what he was 8 years ago...

Hawks are passing on every young goaltender with starter upside and instead signing a 34 year old back up caliber goalie to a 1 year deal. No way that would happen if there’s serious concern that Corey won’t return imo.

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I will agree that if you’re just looking for a serviceable place holder to a real starter Ward is better than he’s been portrayed. He’s consistently mediocre. Mediocre backup and the term is nothing.

If he ends up starting 40+ games? He’s wayyyyyyy down my list. Below Forsberg and Delia.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I understand the signing. Still don't like the 2.5m. It's an overpay by around .5-1m IMO. Guess that's the price of getting him to show up on a 1 year deal? Still wish it was 1x1.5m or 1x1.75m.

I really think it is driven by getting him to move his family or move away from them.

Lehner is a distraction in the room but I would not have minded Myrazk.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
The Stan Plan ....

Bring in an experienced backup to sell to the fans / ticket sales
Over pay $ for only 1 year

IF Crow is ready/fit/up to past standards ... you have an experienced backup for 25-30 games ready
IF Crow is ready/fit/up to past standards ... Forsberg and Delia split time in the AHL getting ready to replace Crow (who has 2 years left)

IF Crow is NOT ready/fit/up to past standards ... At least you can tell the fans you got the most experienced backup to take over
IF Crow is NOT ready/fit/up to past standards .... You have a Goalie pairing of Ward / Forsberg for the year

IF Crow is not ready ........ this is a 30 win team ... bring on the lottery

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
There is no goalie in FA that could fix our tender issues if Crow is done.

There are a few that if they regained form they could be decent but not Crow.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
There is no goalie in FA that could fix our tender issues if Crow is done.

There are a few that if they regained form they could be decent but not Crow.
There are younger guys who have the potential to still be starters or even look like a decent future. Guys that are 26 and former starter potential could hit a good level.

But I did only want a 1 year deal doe any goalie so if none of them will do a 1 year it'll be a short term problem.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
There are younger guys who have the potential to still be starters or even look like a decent future. Guys that are 26 and former starter potential could hit a good level.

But I did only want a 1 year deal doe any goalie so if none of them will do a 1 year it'll be a short term problem.

I agree.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
This team rides Crow to the 7th-8th seed in the West ....... or ....... rides Ward to a lottery pick

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Well, going after Ward instead of Bernier or Hutton (even though they were in the discussion) may mean good things for Corey's health?
Trying to look on the bright side because I don't like this contract.

I just want my goalie back :(

Reactions: migi

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
We'll see when the goalies get signed which option was the best.

That we will. That said, highly doubt Bowman didn't do his homework. Operative word, highly. 10 minute phone calls to each goalies' agent. 2-3 hours, tops. The 1 year contract keepers are going to be a small group.

Ward is a stop gap, plain and simple. Hope he's a competent (decent) backup. Of course, this could all blow up spectacularly: another Turdco.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Well, going after Ward instead of Bernier or Hutton (even though they were in the discussion) may mean good things for Corey's health?
Trying to look on the bright side because I don't like this contract.

I just want my goalie back :(

Quite possibly. Who the hell knows anymore?

Perhaps Stan is looking to the future - to the big picture here and is thinking as follows:
- It's worth overpaying Ward for one year to give Forsberg a full year as a starter in RFD.
- Or if Crawford does go down again, Hawks are likely to miss the playoffs hence it doesn't matter who is in nets at that point. May as well go with Ward or give Forsberg another shot at #1 if he shows improvement in the minors.
- Besides Ward the other FA goalies are looking for more bucks and longer terms... and are not long-term starters in Stan's mind. Hard pass.
- The future of Hawks goaltending after Crawford will come from within the org.... be it AF, Delia or another prospect.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
If Cam Ward is playing a lot in October, the Hawks will be in trouble regardless. He's perfectly fine as the backup. No Corey, no playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad