Rumor: Chicago may be working on deal with Cam Ward

Status
Not open for further replies.

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
There has to be better options out there as there is no guarantee how many games Crow will be able play if any. He may very well be just one more injury away from retirement. There isn't even any guarantee how well he will be able to play if he does come back. To me it is totally wrong for management to keep the fans in the dark like this and especially with the cost of tickets going up. Even if Crow is healthy, probably the best time to move him to another team if possible which frees up money for a decent goalie for one or two years until one of the rookies are ready to take over.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
/\ desperation dictates overpaying, unfortunately. Besides, Stan doesn't know how to play hardball with any player it seems.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
/\ desperation dictates overpaying, unfortunately. Besides, Stan doesn't know how to play hardball with any player it seems.

yes and the lack of hardball from Stan is becoming more of a problem every year it seems.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
At least that means we probably won’t overspend on a UFA on a 7 year contract. Silver linings friends.

Would rather overspend by a mil for a bad backup for 1 year than overspend by more than a mil for 7 years on one of the UFAs on the market.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
At least that means we probably won’t overspend on a UFA on a 7 year contract. Silver linings friends.

Would rather overspend by a mil for a bad backup for 1 year than overspend by more than a mil for 7 years on one of the UFAs on the market.
Until the Hossa trade with a first round pick for a 7th is announced

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

I had the same thought

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I am not a fan of Ward but I guess I get wanting a vet (don't agree). .5 to 1 mill over payment, cost to get him to move?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Ward does have special needs child that requires assistance so that could also be part of why 2.5M figure if true to convince him to depart Raleigh/Durham area

It would be overpayment by 500k IMO but not end of world and is usual Bowman overpay (He can never seem to not overpay even a little UFA's or RFA's)

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Ward does have special needs child that requires assistance so that could also be part of why 2.5M figure if true to convince him to depart Raleigh/Durham area

I believe his son is deaf and they are really close in regards to hockey (there was a players trib about it; warning the article can possible make your computer or phone cut onions).

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Small overpayment, but it's for a year. Ward seems to simply be a guy Bowman is betting on being able to help stabilize our back end for 30-40 games for this season, buying time for one of Delia, Lankinen, or Nalimov to emerge as an option for 19-20.

It's not the worst thing in the world and I do get a kick out of BWC loving this deal.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
As long as this is now Turco 2.0, I am fine with it. No back up goalie available as a FA is going to save the Hawks season if Corey cannot play (or give the Hawks 55+ games).

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Small overpayment, but it's for a year. Ward seems to simply be a guy Bowman is betting on being able to help stabilize our back end for 30-40 games for this season, buying time for one of Delia, Lankinen, or Nalimov to emerge as an option for 19-20.

It's not the worst thing in the world and I do get a kick out of BWC loving this deal.
I'm curious what Nalimovs situation will be. Before the recent claim he wants to come over now and have an open spot, a 1 year vet with potential for him next year is exactly what I wanted. I'm just unsure where he'll play or if Stan will trade him.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I guess Stan and Co. propritized experience and Bernier and Hutton are getting multi year deals, so they went with Ward for a higher AAV to keep it at one year.

Maybe Ward wanted a lower AAV for 2 years to finish out his career, have to move his family again etc, Stan wanted one so they paid up.

That said, I think they should have signed Mrazek for cheap and went into camp with him, Forsberg and Delia battling for the 2G spot.

Not a good way to spend cap money, but, lets be honest, nothing ever really is money well spent in that market unless its Hossa.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad