Chicago Blackhawks Window

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If you're convinced your youth can supplement all Writing's on the wall, kiddo. A lot of Kings fans were in denial, too. I understand.

All I know is the Hawks will ice one of the youngest teams in the league next year, comprised almost entirely of former 1st round picks or 1st round talents. How it goes, who knows. Could be anything at this point.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
The team just lost Panarin, Hossa, Hjalmarsson, TVR, and Darling. In their place they have Saad, Connor Murphy, and a goalie who has thus far sucked at the NHL level.

There is no denying they have taken steps backward. I would not be surprised if they missed the playoffs. Hawks fans are seeming to be delusional about "proven playoff beast Saad" as the savior. He sure was helpful in leading the Blue Jackets to all those playoff series victories the last two years... oh wait. He was nearly scratched by Torts multiple times for lazy defensive play and half-assed efforts, but let's act like getting Saad and his "two-way game" makes up for losing a top 10 NHL scorer. And I also think the problem with Toews has more to do with Toews himself declining and not his linemate. We will see though.

Too much is made of "well Panarin has only two years left and Saad has four." That should have been a two years from now problem. They could have really gone for the Cup in those two years. After these backwards moves, only the most delusional of Hawks fans (and for some reason, there are a lot right now) would claim they are a contender.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
As a Hawks fan, I actually liked these past few moves and think the window might stay open a bit longer because of it.

I've said it before in this very thread, but the Hawks problems against Nashville was transitioning the puck up ice. Nashville clogged the neutral zone and the Hawks need to try implementing some new tactics (like allowing defensemen to skate the puck up ice). Both the trades helped with transition.

Panarin is an amazing talent, and I'd say holds a very slight edge over Saad in value. He has a lot of abilities, including a high level of elusiveness. However, he never utilized that talent at even strength because he was starting 80% of his shifts in the offensive zone. There is simply not a need to be able to maneuver through the neutral zone, if you start in the offensive zone. And it's not like that line (Panarin-Anisimov-Kane) was ever good enough to be able get back possession when they did get stuck in the defensive zone.

Saad, on the other hand, has never been given near the soft starts that Panarin (or for that matter, Kane) has had in any season he's played (in Chicago or Columbus). He starts a lot more of his shifts in the neutral and defensive zones. And he's been very good at using his elite speed and strength to maneuver through the neutral zone in those situations.

Hjalmarrson has been a warrior. But he's 30 and has blocked more shots than I ever dare count. He'll slow down (possibly as soon as this season), and he was never fast to begin with. He also preferred playing his offside which was a ***** when he tried to make a pass out of the defensive zone, because he had to do a back hand pass. So far as fantastic as he was defensively, he wasn't great at transitioning the puck up ice or creating offense.

Murphy hasn't been great. He showed a lot of promise, but has stalled in recent years.

But he's fast for a big guy. And a righty who's expected to play on the right side. He can help with transitioning the puck up ice, and the hope is that in a new environment, he can thrive. Which isn't hard to imagine in regards to a 24 year old.

Losing Hossa sucks. I'm hoping Bowman can figure out some sort of replacement through free agency. Hoss didn't really kill penalties this past season and I don't think he did all that much on the PP, but he was still a damn good player at even strength.

But the Hawks do have Schmaltz (Spezza lite), Hartman (weird blend of Saad and Shaw), Hayden (righty version of Bickell circa 2012) and Hinostroza (wild card, but damn fast) who can all help with this team's forward depth. In his rookie season last year, Hartman put up 19 goals (only one of which came from special teams), and Schmaltz had a very productive return to the Hawks after getting some seasoning in Rockford.

The Hawks are looking to become a faster team (at least that's what Bowman wants). If Q can adapt to a speed game, the Hawks can survive and thrive. If he refuses, we lose.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
^^^Good for you guys. I would trust Bowman is working with a plan- it may be higher risk but the Blackhawks have to push and keep the window open by any means they deem possible.

Encouraging(?) Hossa into LTIR is brilliant IMO. His game plateaued as some point and sorry to say is over the hill. Just barely but last season the edge he could dominate with was slipping. Lost battles, giveaways, the inability to gather in harder passes...the shift was slight but I could see the difference.

Panarin is a phenomenal star until the second season begins and after two years of failure I am positive he just doesn't get NHL PO's. Saad helped bring victory in 2015 (along with Shaw and Teravainen) with a level of compete that AP does not have simple as that.

Hjalmarsson is already slowing down. Again just slightly but the signs are there. I've go to respect a management team that is proactive responding to the subtle trends even loyal fans may not be picking up on. It seems like including their decision on TVR that Chicago is acting swiftly with a plan for the present and near future. They must believe the window is open for several seasons. As said hard to judge when they are looking to be very active on July 1st. What's interesting about the Hawks is with their core they're always a threat, always in the back of peoples minds as a team that can surprise.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
You don't think they can make up 15-20 points? Schmaltz played at his best last year on the top line, and he was great down the stretch when the Toews line got hot. Seems kind of a waste to put Panik on the 3rd line after he broke out and had 20 goal season with Toews and a revolving door at LW. Besides, his play style meshes with Toews and Saad. The same can be said about Schmaltz with Kane and Anisimov. Schmaltz looked great last year in limited time at 2C after Anisimov went down. I think the Hawks are comfortable with how the forwards look for next year, I know I am. Biggest concern for me is finding maybe one more Dman.

You've lost 2 Top 6 forwards, and brought in 1 so far. IMO the forwards corp wasn't strong enough last year with both Hossa and Panarin. Panik is someone who is far more likely to regress than to increase in production. He's just never been that guy consistently in his career. If the Hawks were a rebuilding team I'd be all for a youth movement and to develop all the young talent they can. Schmaltz COULD break out, Panik COULD repeat a career year but I just don't see the Hawks sitting on their hands this off season.

But they are not. They are the contenders and a few moves away form being Cup Favorites. If they add a top 6 forward and a #4 Defeceman, I don't see anyone beating them. That should be the goal.

Last edited:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
You've lost 2 Top 6 forwards, and brought in 1 so far. IMO the forwards corp wasn't strong enough last year with both Hossa and Panarin. Panik is someone who is far more likely to regress than to increase in production. He's just never been that guy consistently in his career. If the Hawks were a rebuilding team I'd be all for a youth movement and to develop all the young talent they can. Schmaltz COULD break out, Panik COULD repeat a career year but I just don't see the Hawks sitting on their hands this off season.

But they are not. They are the contenders and a few moves away form being Cup Favorites. If they add a top 6 forward and a #4 Defeceman, I don't see anyone beating them. That should be the goal.

Marleau, Sharp and Alzner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad