Chicago Blackhawks Window

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
But now there's no one to replace Panarin

We don't need a Panarin as much as we need a Hossa. Kane can carry a line by himself, which he hasn't had to do for the last two years. Now, he still at least has stability at center with Anisimov, and a guy that plays a similar game to Panarin in Schmaltz. They're lineup is much more balanced, and Kane will benefit because he will likely no longer have to play the top competition.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
We don't need a Panarin as much as we need a Hossa. Kane can carry a line by himself, which he hasn't had to do for the last two years. Now, he still at least has stability at center with Anisimov, and a guy that plays a similar game to Panarin in Schmaltz. They're lineup is much more balanced, and Kane will benefit because he will likely no longer have to play the top competition.

Panarin brings offense. Saad is not as good as he in. Unless you want to bring Sharp back, and that will not be enough, how is his ~75 points being replaced?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Panarin brings offense. Saad is not as good as he in. Unless you want to bring Sharp back, and that will not be enough, how is his ~75 points being replaced?

Saad will replace 55-65 of them and the rest will come from the other guys playing with Kane.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
They're no longer real contenders now.
They are a playoff threat however.
As others have pointed out, the big contracts are hand cuffing them.
The irony is, Patrick Kane would bring in the haul they'd need to both keep the playoffs alive as well as key high end picks and the team that will be clearing that cap space over the next 2 years is his hometown Sabres.
The problem there will be the longer Chicago waits, the older Kane gets, the less attractive that contract becomes and, in turn, the decline in return.

It still stands to reason they'll playoff push, but Bowman needs to be looking to the future now.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
They're no longer real contenders now. It still stands to reason they'll playoff push, but Bowman needs to be looking to the future now.

He just did. Saad and Murphy are signed almost as long as Toews and Kane and both 5 years younger, lol.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
His highest is 28 point in 61 games. Well see but I think trading a near ppg player in this era is a bad idea.

So he already did it lol. I see you also neglect to mention that it was in his first year as a pro and he had 24 points in his final 35 games after being recalled.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
You don't think Schmaltz can replace 20 points?

Wasn't Schmaltz on the team last year..? Unless you see a 20+ point jump in production from year 1 to year 2 (not impossible, but no exactly a safe bet either)

Looking at the roster the Hawks still need a Top 6 Winger and a Top 4 D. However, the off-season isn't over so it's kind of ridiculous for people to claim their window is closed when Free Agency hasn't even stared yet :laugh:

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Wasn't Schmaltz on the team last year..? Unless you see a 20+ point jump in production from year 1 to year 2 (not impossible, but no exactly a safe bet either)

Looking at the roster the Hawks still need a Top 6 Winger and a Top 4 D. However, the off-season isn't over so it's kind of ridiculous for people to claim their window is closed when Free Agency hasn't even stared yet :laugh:

Schmaltz started the year on the team. He scored 4 points in 25 games playing on the 3rd line. He was sent down for a month. He was recalled, and played on the top line and scored 24 points in 36 games. I don't think a 20 point jump playing a full year in the top 6 is out of the question. He looked night and day after his AHL stint. They also have Hartman who scored 19 goals as a rookie on the 3rd line last year, so he'll likely improve. Panik could improve too with Saad playing on his line. Lots of places to make up the lost offense and then some, while also making the team more dynamic and better defensively. It also gives them more flexibility with deployment, as Panarin got some of the heaviest offensive zone starts in the league.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
He means a 20 point increase on his totals from last year.

Given how his production jumped after his recall, I think that is very attainable, especially as Q already said he's probably going to start with Kane and Anisimov.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Schmaltz started the year on the team. He scored 4 points in 25 games playing on the 3rd line. He was sent down for a month. He was recalled, and played on the top line and scored 24 points in 36 games. I don't think a 20 point jump playing a full year in the top 6 is out of the question. He looked night and day after his AHL stint. They also have Hartman who scored 19 goals as a rookie on the 3rd line last year, so he'll likely improve. Panik could improve too with Saad playing on his line. Lots of places to make up the lost offense and then some, while also making the team more dynamic and better defensively. It also gives them more flexibility with deployment, as Panarin got some of the heaviest offensive zone starts in the league.

I'd rather gamble on a more proven commodity than have to count on increased production from Panik and Schmaltz.

Saad-Toews-Schmaltz
???-AA-Kane
Hartman-Kruger-Panik

Bumping Schmaltz/Panik down to the 3rd line gives you much more flexability, and the ability to move guys up and down the line-up. Especially if any injuries occur. Maybe a DeBrincat can come in and be a savior but I think the Hawks will make a move to bolster the forward corps.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Losing Panarin, Hossa, and Hjalmarsson and adding Saad is a net loss to a team that got swept in round 1. Toews has a killer contract at this point too

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
I'd rather gamble on a more proven commodity than have to count on increased production from Panik and Schmaltz.

Saad-Toews-Schmaltz
???-AA-Kane
Hartman-Kruger-Panik

Bumping Schmaltz/Panik down to the 3rd line gives you much more flexability, and the ability to move guys up and down the line-up. Especially if any injuries occur. Maybe a DeBrincat can come in and be a savior but I think the Hawks will make a move to bolster the forward corps.

You don't think they can make up 15-20 points? Schmaltz played at his best last year on the top line, and he was great down the stretch when the Toews line got hot. Seems kind of a waste to put Panik on the 3rd line after he broke out and had 20 goal season with Toews and a revolving door at LW. Besides, his play style meshes with Toews and Saad. The same can be said about Schmaltz with Kane and Anisimov. Schmaltz looked great last year in limited time at 2C after Anisimov went down. I think the Hawks are comfortable with how the forwards look for next year, I know I am. Biggest concern for me is finding maybe one more Dman.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
You don't think they can make up 15-20 points? Schmaltz played at his best last year on the top line, and he was great down the stretch when the Toews line got hot. Seems kind of a waste to put Panik on the 3rd line after he broke out and had 20 goal season with Toews and a revolving door at LW. Besides, his play style meshes with Toews and Saad. The same can be said about Schmaltz with Kane and Anisimov. Schmaltz looked great last year in limited time at 2C after Anisimov went down. I think the Hawks are comfortable with how the forwards look for next year, I know I am. Biggest concern for me is finding maybe one more Dman.

Agreed with all of this. Yeah, a Saad-Toews-Panik line could be lethal. They are going to cause a lot of problems for other teams. Then Kane, AA and one of the kids can pick apart lesser competition. The third line should be solid, and looking at the free agent list, I see a lot of wingers in that cheap range and the right age to maybe take a 1 year deal here if we want a little more forward depth.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

He means a 20 point increase on his totals from last year.

Yup, that's what I meant. Unless Debrincat is the real deal.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
They're no longer real contenders now.
They are a playoff threat however.
As others have pointed out, the big contracts are hand cuffing them.
The irony is, Patrick Kane would bring in the haul they'd need to both keep the playoffs alive as well as key high end picks and the team that will be clearing that cap space over the next 2 years is his hometown Sabres.
The problem there will be the longer Chicago waits, the older Kane gets, the less attractive that contract becomes and, in turn, the decline in return.

It still stands to reason they'll playoff push, but Bowman needs to be looking to the future now.

Exactly why a lot of Kings fans think a Doughty trade is the way to go next summer barring some miracle turnaround this year.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The Kings look terrible outside of like 4 or 5 guys and have for a few years now. It's not the same situation. Chicago has been cultivating youth for awhile now and it is just now arriving.

Keith-Doughty

drool.gif

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
They were first last year, I also like the moves they did if they can find a decent hossa replacement I don't see why they can repeat as west leaders again. They had a bunch of kids last year and had a bad match up in Nashville but again... west champs... why count them out? Their not the LA kings, they have always been better ran then them.

I mean, the Kings had an identical season in 15/16 as the Hawks just had in 16/17 - top of the western conference in the regular season, embarrassed in the first round. So "they had a great regular season" doesn't really hold much water.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I mean, the Kings had an identical season in 15/16 as the Hawks just had in 16/17 - top of the western conference in the regular season, embarrassed in the first round. So "they had a great regular season" doesn't really hold much water.

Did the Kings have as many rookies as the Leafs like the Hawks? Not to mention a new star in Panarin who was a no show in the playoffs.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The Kings look terrible outside of like 4 or 5 guys and have for a few years now. It's not the same situation. Chicago has been cultivating youth for awhile now and it is just now arriving.

Keith-Doughty

drool.gif

If Blake trades Doughty inside the conference he won't have a job by the end of the phone call. Keep dreaming, though.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Did the Kings have as many rookies as the Leafs like the Hawks? Not to mention a new star in Panarin who was a no show in the playoffs.

If you're convinced your youth can supplement all the depth you're bleeding, that's fine. For your sake, I hope you're right. The Kings have some youth, too. Doesn't mean much when you're dropping battle tested NHL talent.

Another similarity: after 15/16, Kings lost one of their top veteran wingers in Lucic for nothing and got worse. Hawks just lost one of their top wingers in Hossa for nothing, and you guessed it, will probably get worse.

Writing's on the wall, kiddo. A lot of Kings fans were in denial, too. I understand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad