Chicago Blackhawks Window

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
considering the news today its very much open. hossa on ir for rest of career and tvr + kruger to lv today. thats about 10mil in cap hits

From hockey POV this is pretty damn devastating for Hawks. Lost our 3rd best goal scorer (Hossa did have 26 this past year) and our best defensive forward

You cant replace that anytime soon

The guy who played like a young Hossa was traded two years ago (Saad) and we have no one with his qualities in system

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
considering the news today its very much open. hossa on ir for rest of career and tvr + kruger to lv today. thats about 10mil in cap hits

Who you gonna get to replace Hossa?
Not like the Hawks have a lot of assets, they have been trading picks and players struggling to stay under the cap.

Hossa's cap number was actually below what he should be getting in the open market based on production.

People just look at age and assume its a good thing he is gone and ignore his stats.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL

These guys were actually very good players and solid contributors for the hawks. they're more than just cap hits. it's going to be hard to find cheap adequate replacements for hossa and kruger

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Who you gonna get to replace Hossa?
Not like the Hawks have a lot of assets, they have been trading picks and players struggling to stay under the cap.

Hossa's cap number was actually below what he should be getting in the open market based on production.

People just look at age and assume its a good thing he is gone and ignore his stats.

Justin Williams. Joe Thornton. Maybe Radulov or Kovy will be on their radar. Hard to say, but I'm sure the Hawks have considered this scenario prior to the off-season. I'm sure they have a plan to add to their group with the cap space.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Within the next couple of years. A few of their core guys are getting older. Hossa's probably going to retire. Depending on how/if they replace them will be key.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Justin Williams. Joe Thornton. Maybe Radulov or Kovy will be on their radar. Hard to say, but I'm sure the Hawks have considered this scenario prior to the off-season. I'm sure they have a plan to add to their group with the cap space.

1 year deal? What happens if they resolve the medical issue? this thing is a bit different than say concussions, would think the situation is more cut and dry, either you cure it or you don't.

Matt Greene got put on LTIR, once healthy Kings had to buy him out.

Kovy will probably want at least a 3 year deal. Williams would be intriguing.

I think this hand ties the Hawks, you cannot assume the issue goes beyond this year.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
1 year deal? What happens if they resolve the medical issue? this thing is a bit different than say concussions, would think the situation is more cut and dry, either you cure it or you don't.

Matt Greene got put on LTIR, once healthy Kings had to buy him out.

Kovy will probably want at least a 3 year deal. Williams would be intriguing.

I think this hand ties the Hawks, you cannot assume the issue goes beyond this year.

Unless they know it does.

In any case, losing Hossa hurts the Blackhawks now and for the future. I don't see them contending until they find a way to replace what he brought. And that's going to be really hard, cap space or no.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
They just lost their 4th best forward and traded way their 3rd best forward and 3rd best defenseman for scraps.

All after being swept out of the first round.

They're done. They might be a low seed in the playoffs next year at best but even that could go either way.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The window is officially closed. Goaltending is what it is, not superstellar. Defence abysmal(for contending purposes), loss of Hoss and Panarin and addition of Saad(I still think he is overpayed) will do the rest of the damage.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Kane+Toews+Keith = window

People used to say Kopitar+Doughty+Quick=window.

I think the windows for both the Hawks and Kings are closing if not closed, primarily due to cap and asset mismanagement. The glory years are over for both western conference powerhouses.

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
People used to say Kopitar+Doughty+Quick=window.

I think the windows for both the Hawks and Kings are closing if not closed, primarily due to cap and asset mismanagement. The glory years are over for both western conference powerhouses.

They were first last year, I also like the moves they did if they can find a decent hossa replacement I don't see why they can repeat as west leaders again. They had a bunch of kids last year and had a bad match up in Nashville but again... west champs... why count them out? Their not the LA kings, they have always been better ran then them.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
As a life long die hard Hawks fan I hate to say it but I think the window is closed. I mean, they still have Toews, Kane and Keith, but Seabrook is not quite as good as he was, Hjalmarsson is gone, Hossa is essentially gone, so clearly they are not going to be the same team they were 2-3 years ago. It was a very good 10-year run, but it's probably over. They may still make the playoffs and win a series or two, depending on how young players develop, but in terms of being one of the few upper echelon teams that are a legitimate Cup contender - probably not.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Hawks window just reopened.

Using Hossas cap hit they can sign depth on one year deals while giving the kids time to grow.

Hartman, Panik, Schmaltz all looked great last year. Think DeBrincat gets a look here while Saad makes it tougher for other teams to focus on one line.

Hawks defense just got a lot more mobile with Murphy and I'm sure Forsling gets a real long look while Stan surely is looking for a stop gap like Campbell again on a sweet deal.

Still think the Hawks get Campbell, Sharp, and Doan on sweet deals.

Hawks are still the team to beat in the West.

Vacheron

Dec 11, 2016
I think people take the "window" analogy too far. The reality is if they can draft well they can get back in it. The problem right now is the hawks cannot afford to take on any more ridiculous Seabrook type contracts. What hurts the Hawks is they realized you have to replace older guys with less expensive younger guys early. Players reach peak value at the end of their bridge deals. No sense latching on to past performance.

For any player not named Kane/Toews/Keith, the formula should have been draft, bridge extension (if warranted), allow to walk/trade.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I think people take the "window" analogy too far. The reality is if they can draft well they can get back in it. The problem right now is the hawks cannot afford to take on any more ridiculous Seabrook type contracts. What hurts the Hawks is they realized you have to replace older guys with less expensive younger guys early. Players reach peak value at the end of their bridge deals. No sense latching on to past performance.

For any player not named Kane/Toews/Keith, the formula should have been draft, bridge extension (if warranted), allow to walk/trade.
Somebody gets it.

The Hawks core is K/K/T. Nobody else was ever part of the core and should be expendable after a bridge deal. This whole facade that a teams core is six or seven players deep is just not feasible in a Cap era.

Yes, the Hawks held onto players too long, but you can't blame them. Three Cups in six years is a dynasty in the cap era. Hopefully they learned this.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008

Using Hossas cap hit they can sign depth on one year deals while giving the kids time to grow.

Hartman, Panik, Schmaltz all looked great last year. Think DeBrincat gets a look here while Saad makes it tougher for other teams to focus on one line.

Hawks defense just got a lot more mobile with Murphy and I'm sure Forsling gets a real long look while Stan surely is looking for a stop gap like Campbell again on a sweet deal.

I really really hope they sign Sharp and Doan.

That would be the final nail in the Hawks coffin.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
KKT have 5 more contract years left. Thats the window. A few free agents and prospects and the Hawks are back in business. Cap goes up and Bowman has already set the bar for top contracts with Kane and Toews. Next year or two is a retool on the fly... again. Deja vu all over again.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003

Still the team to beat? Not the case since 2015. They got embarrassed by Nashville and just got significantly worse. Nashville is the team to beat in the west as of now.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Still the team to beat? Not the case since 2015. They got embarrassed by Nashville and just got significantly worse. Nashville is the team to beat in the west as of now.

Two of the key factors to that embarrassment were just traded.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Panarin replacement will be Alex DeBrincat. Fact is, Kane playing with premier talent was/is a luxury. They've been looking for a Saad replacement for two years. Who better to replace him than the man himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad