News Article: Chicago Blackhawks: Stan Bowman's 7 Worst Trades as GM

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Stopped reading at the first trade. The Buff trade was fine at the time. He was a luxury we couldn't afford. And how do you write this article with Buff suspended and sitting at home? Who's to say he wouldn't have done the same to the Hawks?

Reactions: Callidusblackhawk

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Frolik was one of Stan's best trades. Jack Skille was barely a 13F for many years after that deal and Frolik turned into a pretty solid top 9 forward and a big part of that shutdown line in 2013. And he flipped Brouwer for Philip Danault, another very good trade.

Reactions: d rake and Mrfenn92

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
Frolik was one of Stan's best trades. Jack Skille was barely a 13F for many years after that deal and Frolik turned into a pretty solid top 9 forward and a big part of that shutdown line in 2013. And he flipped Brouwer for Philip Danault, another very good trade.
I should clarify. It was trading Frolik away for a 3rd and a 5th that was on the list.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
In no particular order

- Rundblad trade
- Hjalmarsson trade
- Saad trade (To Columbus)
- Panarin trade
- Danault trade
- TT trade
- Joker trade

HM
- Leddy trade (To Isles)
- Sharp/Johns trade

Ladd , Byfuglien and Steeger deals were one's I dont hold him as harshly for given how terrible the cap situation was in 2010 and he got good value in deals just piss poor drafting and scouting resulted in Hawks having nothing to show from it (As well as Hayes being asshole)

TT trade was all result of poor cap choices by Stanley and him painting himself in corner

Last edited:

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
In no particular order

- Rundblad trade
- Leddy trade (To Islanders)
- Saad trade (To Columbus)
- Panarin trade
- Danault trade
- TT trade
- Joker trade

Ladd , Byfuglien and Steeger deals were one's I dont hold him as harshly for given how terrible the cap situation was in 2010 and he got good value in deals just piss poor drafting and scouting resulted in Hawks having nothing to show from it (As well as Hayes being *******)

TT trade was all result of poor cap choices by Stanley and him painting himself in corner

Add these to the mix and Hammer trade trumps the Rundblad in top 7

Hammer trade
Sharp trade
Not bringing back Oduya once up
Timmonen

I am sure I am forgetting a bunch

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
What do you guys think of the Saad-Panarin trade in retrospect? Should we have just kept Panarin? I doubt he'd sign for an $11.6 AAV if he stayed here. Easily would've cost $9-$10m AAV though

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I'm under the assumption that the guy who wrote that drivel also posts here regularly.

Good job, can't tell the difference (thumbs up)

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
What do you guys think of the Saad-Panarin trade in retrospect? Should we have just kept Panarin? I doubt he'd sign for an $11.6 AAV if he stayed here. Easily would've cost $9-$10m AAV though

My thoughts at the time:

Panarin seemed to be hypnotized by Kane and wasn’t as much the game breaker he was in year 2 as year 1. That said, the Kane/Panarin duo was still highly effective at scoring goals.

I perceived that team as a non playoff roster being carried primarily by the dynamic duo’s timely scoring and Crawford’s goaltending. Then down the stretch, Kane helped Panarin get his bonuses with a strong finish. I was very skeptical their formula would translate in the playoffs and it didn’t. Panarin was invisible, and with the bonus tacked on, he was set to make 9-10M the following season. Having Panarin on the team seemed like it was going to keep the Hawks in purgatory, effective in the regular season but ineffective in the playoffs.

I was curious to see if the team would fall apart without him and was shocked that Bowman actually traded Panarin. I thought he was seeing the same things and getting a rugged playoff type player signed long term like Saad made a lot of sense. If Saad took a leap forward, they could potentially be a better team in the playoffs. If not, they could begin rebuilding, which seemed needed at the time.

My thoughts now:

I was wrong to put so much stock into Panarin’s second year. He showed the year before and has ever since that he is an elite player and a game breaker. It did seem like Kane and Panarin went out of their way setting up one timers to try to get Panarin’s bonuses and that was ok. That’s one of the primary reasons they take the ice, to make money. I overreacted to that aspect of Panarin’s season. Saad didn’t progress, Panarin did, and the Hawks got robbed in that trade.

On the plus side, it did usher in the rebuild. For that, it was worth losing him because it helped the team get Boqvist and Dach.

If they end up cashing in their chips this TD and fully commit to finishing the rebuild, there are no regrets. If they don’t do that, then yeah, I do wish we still had Panarin because he is an elite player and they may have been able to eventually build a Cup winning team around him. It may have required separating him from Kane at even strength, but clearly the guy can carry his own line.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad