News Article: Chicago Blackhawks: Stan Bowman's 7 Worst Trades as GM

Geoist

May 1, 2015
You could argue they are better partly because of having Hammer, and Hawks are worse off with Murphy though. These stats have nothing to do with goalies.

I think this is the first time I've seen anyone argue having Murphy makes the Hawks' defense worse.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Compared to having Hjalmarsson instead

Alright that's fair. I read the post as Murphy was actively making the the Hawks defense worse, so my bad.

Do you believe Hammer makes enough of a difference for that extra $1.2 million?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Alright that's fair. I read the post as Murphy was actively making the the Hawks defense worse, so my bad.

Do you believe Hammer makes enough of a difference for that extra $1.2 million?
Who knows if Hammer asks for that money if he is still here. But there are moves you could have made to make it work. Like not sign Panik for 2.8mil, and last year we had the cap space.

Reactions: Geoist

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Compared to having Hjalmarsson instead
Disagree. Murphy is a better defenseman than Hjalmarsson at this point in their careers.
Bowman clearly got the better end of that deal. Anyone who argues otherwise is just being sentimental and not being objective. At worst, it's a wash....and that's me giving people the benefit of the doubt because people have different opinions of players. However, if you're going to try to argue that Hjalmarsson has been a better player since the trade I'm going to have to strongly disagree. I wouldn't have made that trade if I was in charge of the Coyotes.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Disagree. Murphy is a better defenseman than Hjalmarsson at this point in their careers.
Bowman clearly got the better end of that deal. Anyone who argues otherwise is just being sentimental and not being objective. At worst, it's a wash....and that's me giving people the benefit of the doubt because people have different opinions of players. However, if you're going to try to argue that Hjalmarsson has been a better player since the trade I'm going to have to strongly disagree. I wouldn't have made that trade if I was in charge of the Coyotes.
Can you point to any stat that supports your arguement? Hammer is still a great shutdown Dman, and has mostly positive outcomes when on the ice despite rarely starting in his own zone. Not to mention, who knows what effect it had on the locker room, trading away the heart and soul warrior that is Hammer. There is more to it than just play on the ice, which defensively, by eye and stats, favours Hammer.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Can you point to any stat that supports your arguement? Hammer is still a great shutdown Dman, and has mostly positive outcomes when on the ice despite rarely starting in his own zone. Not to mention, who knows what effect it had on the locker room, trading away the heart and soul warrior that is Hammer. There is more to it than just play on the ice, which defensively, by eye and stats, favours Hammer.
Yes.
I just went to Hockey Reference and Murphy has been better in Corsi and Fenwick each season since the trade. Since both are defensive defensemen, I don't know how else to measure their contributions.

Murphy has been the better possession player and it isn't even close.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yes.
I just went to Hockey Reference and Murphy has been better in Corsi and Fenwick each season since the trade. Since both are defensive defensemen, I don't know how else to measure their contributions.
How about HDCF% SCF%? Those are more meaningful as CF and FF count shots from anywhere on the ice, not the house. Who starts in the OZ more? I did the stats for the last 2 years, and Hammer is better in almost every category. The first year Murphy was sheltered by Q quite a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad