Post-Game Talk: Chicago Blackhawks at New York Rangers - January 3

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Let's not forget the last few games before last night were decided in shootouts and overtimes. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I blame Ryan Mcdonagh for most of our issues right now. He has been horrible. A good Ryan Mcdonagh has this team in first place in the metro. When was the last time this guy even had a shot on net? Embarrassing in every zone for him. Everyone has played with him and the pairing sucks. It’s him

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I blame Ryan Mcdonagh for most of our issues right now. He has been horrible. A good Ryan Mcdonagh has this team in first place in the metro. When was the last time this guy even had a shot on net? Embarrassing in every zone for him. Everyone has played with him and the pairing sucks. It’s him
you should probably not post anymore when this type of nonsense is the best stuff you can come up with.

He hasnt been good,but to blame him entirely for this teams many faults is downright hilarious.

Reactions: Raspewtin and bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Something is definitely wrong with him. Can't totally keep blaming it on his partners especially in the o zone. Its crazy almost half way thru season and he doesn't have a goal albeit he has never been a goal scoring machine.
Besides Hank, he is still probably the teams most important player so you're right if Mcdonagh is playing at elite level this team is at the top of the division or closer to it.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
you should probably not post anymore when this type of nonsense is the best stuff you can come up with.

He hasnt been good,but to blame him entirely for this teams many faults is downright hilarious.

He's definitely not to blame entirely but we definitely put him on a much higher expectation level than anyone else on our defense. If something is wrong physically with him it would be nice to give him some recovery time

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
teams with tenacious forecheckers will always beat us because we have no neutral zone scheme. the players being hounded have little to no options with the puck. Sometimes we get lucky and it works, most of the time there isn't anybody to pass to. This is why we get hemmed in.
The Rangers under AV have not had a plan B. It has always been pond hockey or bust.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They do need to cut out the cute passing. But without legitimate snipers aside from maybe Zib, they need to rely on lateral passes to induce open nets to shoot at. And they know this. At this point, I crave any semblance of a structured breakout. The long outlet passes need to stop.
They have been overpassing ever since Lindros was playing center.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
The Rangers under AV have not had a plan B. It has always been pond hockey or bust.

Its also why defensemen who aren't fast, and aren't the best passers are way worse in our system than others. If you aren't fast, or an at least decent stick handler, you can't routinely carry the puck out. Having a structured neutral zone/breakout scheme could allow for short efficient break out passes that anyone can make.

There is never a safe outlet option. We're always trying to make the perfect stretch pass/forcing the puck where it will be intercepted, or turning back around and sending it behind the net until either A) we get lucky, or B) We ice the puck or C) we turn it over

Its maddening

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

You guys hear that?

It's the coach getting away with blame again thanks to this month's Scapegoat of the Month!

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Its also why defensemen who aren't fast, and aren't the best passers are way worse in our system than others. If you aren't fast, or an at least decent stick handler, you can't routinely carry the puck out

Smith and Shattenkirk can skate and handle the puck. They're also significantly worse in this system.

This system does not favor hands and skating like the meme has said for 2+ years. It's just an absolute train wreck and embarrassment to the sport for all players of all shapes and sizes.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Hey @Kovalev27, remember your post about how we won’t be sellers and have a good chance in the playoffs because we’ve been better than most of our division lately and have beaten Boston and managed Tampa? Do you think Brooksie just happened to read that before dropping this line in his Nash article:

“Nights like this give pause to the theory that the Rangers have as good a shot as anybody other than Tampa Bay to compete for the Cup.”

Reactions: Bob Richards

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
AV has quite literally no puck support, no neutral zone play, and no blue-line defense in his system.

This is something you don't see above peewee, and we're doing it in the NHL.

I didn't like Torts' philosophy because I didn't agree with it, but at least it was hockey. What we're playing is not hockey at the fundamental level.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hey @Kovalev27, remember your post about how we won’t be sellers and have a good chance in the playoffs because we’ve been better than most of our division lately and have beaten Boston and managed Tampa? Do you think Brooksie just happened to read that before dropping this line in his Nash article:

“Nights like this give pause to the theory that the Rangers have as good a shot as anybody other than Tampa Bay to compete for the Cup.”

To be fair, Brooksie was shrieking for a rebuild when we were a SCF team.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Did anybody else hear the words issued the other day during the outdoor game broadcast by Mike Emrik or K Jones? ...I forgot who said it , but ...somebody did mention of McDonagh and his stomach muscle issue ? I am 99.9 % sure I heard something along those lines .

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I didn't like Torts' philosophy because I didn't agree with it, but at least it was hockey. What we're playing is not hockey at the fundamental level.
My how times have changed. This is not directed at you, but I recall how AV's system was regarded as a joy go watch, and so much more fun than that of Torts.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
On Buch, I agree. He hasn't been great, but he should be in the top six with his talent, and let that talent work itself through. Frankly, the bottom six have been better than the top six for a while now. Fourth line seems to be the one that does anything on a semi consistent basis.

He was good yesterday. Players go into ruts of form, its really no issue. Let him play with Zibanejad. Those two are the team's best forward pairing we have.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Fifty minutes of trying to play stretch pass hockey has run its course with me. This team will not go anywhere as long as they play this style exclusively. They need to work in some semblance of a cycle game to at least balance out some of that stretch passing abomination. The same crap plays out every time we have one of these stinkers: we can't do anything until 10 minutes remaining in the third. That's when the opposing team starts to either peel off the neutral zone and stack their blue line, giving the neutral zone back to us, and we finally move up ice but are forced to chip and chase. And our game actually gets better as the desperation mounts. They need to stop waiting until 10 minutes left to start throwing the puck deep and crashing the boards.
Hit the nail on the damn head.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If I’m not mistaken it was a historical event last night - not a single “Potvin sucks” call was heard, at least on the side where Lundqvist defended twice.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My how times have changed. This is not directed at you, but I recall how AV's system was regarded as a joy go watch, and so much more fun than that of Torts.

This system was fun in 14-15 when we were shooting a million percent.

Ever since that regressed at the start of 15-16, as it inevitably would, this team is unwatchable.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This system was fun in 14-15 when we were shooting a million percent.

Ever since that regressed at the start of 15-16, as it inevitably would, this team is unwatchable.
That was an unsustainable shooting percentage. Otherwise, this is the same system that AV has used every year. An unsustainable shooting percentage and a top 2 or 3 goalie is all that was needed apparently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad