Confirmed with Link: Chiarot to Detroit (4x $4.75)

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Really Chiarot should be playing with a stay-at-home type like Maata or Lindstrom.
Would like to see them try this but I'm guessing we'll have to witness a decent sample size of the Chiarot-Hronek mess first.

How often does it happen where a new decent profile FA signing falls to the bottom of the lineup?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Would like to see them try this but I'm guessing we'll have to witness a decent sample size of the Chiarot-Hronek mess first.

How often does it happen where a new decent profile FA signing falls to the bottom of the lineup?
The Wings played Chia - Maatta, Lindstrom - Hronek the entire 3rd against the Jets. I think Chia - Hronek might already be dead.

We'll see in the morning skate if any of the writers deem it worthy to inform us.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
You sounds like this sighing was Yzerman huge mistake. Should we just trade him for third or fourth round ?
I should admit that I've thought that Chiarot's bad since he was in Winnipeg and downright awful since watching him with Montreal so perhaps I'm a little biased against the guy. I tried to give him a chance with the Wings but his desire to carry the puck all the time here has made him even worse than I expected. I'd happily pay a 3rd or 4th to be rid of him.
Edvinsson is a puck-mover though, that's one of his biggest strengths. For him to grow and flourish in the NHL, I think he needs to be allowed to do the things he's good at, while working on the other things. Chiarot might be even worse for Edvinsson than he is for Seider. And he's bad with Hronek. Really Chiarot should be playing with a stay-at-home type like Maata or Lindstrom.

It feels weird to say, but it's almost a problem that we have too many puck-movers projected in the lineup next season (Seider, Hronek, Chiarot, and Ed). Two of them have to play together. And then you possibly have Walman in the mix too, though I think his puck-moving game is much more adaptable.

Would be nice if Chiarot would just not be a puck mover. Just be a monster roaming the defensive zone and defer to his partner on breakouts, but that's obviously not who he is, and we have him signed for 3 more years.
What I find so maddening about Chiarot is that he didn't used to force himself to be a puck mover so much. He used to play hot potato with the puck, and focus on being defensively sound. He wasn't good at that, but he was so much better at it than he is at this. Right now, he's perhaps the most effective NHL player at holding the puck until the other team covers all of his passing options and then sending a panicked pass to someone that can do nothing but turn it over immediately. Lalonde needs to sit him down and tell him that his job it to clear the front of the net, pin people to the boards, block shots and make the first safe pass that he can whenever he does have the puck. Then he could be a decent partner for Ed on the third pairing.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
I should admit that I've thought that Chiarot's bad since he was in Winnipeg and downright awful since watching him with Montreal so perhaps I'm a little biased against the guy. I tried to give him a chance with the Wings but his desire to carry the puck all the time here has made him even worse than I expected. I'd happily pay a 3rd or 4th to be rid of him.

What I find so maddening about Chiarot is that he didn't used to force himself to be a puck mover so much. He used to play hot potato with the puck, and focus on being defensively sound. He wasn't good at that, but he was so much better at it than he is at this. Right now, he's perhaps the most effective NHL player at holding the puck until the other team covers all of his passing options and then sending a panicked pass to someone that can do nothing but turn it over immediately. Lalonde needs to sit him down and tell him that his job it to clear the front of the net, pin people to the boards, block shots and make the first safe pass that he can whenever he does have the puck. Then he could be a decent partner for Ed on the third pairing.
He just seems like a guy who’ll never figure it out. I want him away from all of our young guys. Needs to be buried on the third pair with a guy who’s only job it is, is to cover his butt

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
My buddy just gave the most apt description of Ben Chiarot I’ve heard yet:

If you go into any chel game and give Brendan Smith +10 to all stats except his hockey sense you get Ben Chiarot.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Ben Chiarot's last 4 seasons 5 on 5:

20/21 (MTL): 22 goals for, 33 goals against (40.0%)
21/22 (MTL/FLA): 50 goals for, 67 goals against (42.7%)
22/23 (DET): 46 goals for, 73 goals against (38.7%)
23/24 (DET): 61 goals for, 75 goals against (44.8%)

I'm sure next season will be different.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Honestly I think I played with guys on the ODR this year that are better than Chiarot, and even I can say that he was a lot better this year than those other three. We want another year like this. It's the best we can hope for.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

According to NHL.com Chiarot's Even Strength numbers for this year are 70 GF 76 GA.

Which puts him just behind Seider for second best of the regular Dmen not playing sheltered minutes (like Maatta).

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
According to NHL.com Chiarot's Even Strength numbers for this year are 70 GF 76 GA.

Which puts him just behind Seider for second best of the regular Dmen not playing sheltered minutes (like Maatta).

And Justin Holl is a +7 by that metric, 3rd best on the whole team, so I'd assume people maybe need to rethink what it means without context.

The only player that sticks out like a sore thumb on that list is Joe Veleno with -14. With his minutes, that's a pretty rough number.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013

NHL.com's "even-strength" numbers include time against an empty net, where Chiarot benefitted from 7 goals for (he of course rarely plays with an empty net, so he's not on-ice for empty net goals against unlike Detroit's more offensively-gifted players). Hence why I only used 5 on 5 numbers.

Context is always helpful particularly with small sample sizes, but getting outscored at a nearly 40/60 clip at 5 on 5 over a 4-year span is dreadful.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
NHL.com's "even-strength" numbers include time against an empty net, where Chiarot benefitted from 7 goals for (he of course rarely plays with an empty net, so he's not on-ice for empty net goals against unlike Detroit's more offensively-gifted players). Hence why I only used 5 on 5 numbers.

Context is always helpful particularly with small sample sizes, but getting outscored at a nearly 40/60 clip at 5 on 5 over a 4-year span is dreadful.
He was solid this year.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Solid is the best that can be said. People saying good, need to adjust there thoughts on what good is. If we have semi-competent blueline, Chiarot is on the 3rd pair in the 15-17 minute range and then he is playing where he should be, and would be a good player to have. Of course that also means he comes in at much less than the 4.75 he makes now.

He still thinks he is something he isn't, a puck moving defender. Way too many times he skates it to center, dumps it in to nobody and then the play is coming back to our end. When he plays with Seider in particular 75% of the time he doesn't even look for Seider when Chiarot has the puck and makes nonsense plays to other much more covered teammates. Seider is the one with skill, Chiarot is the one who should move it to Seider and then play back, not be the aggressive guy who pinches. Not sure where he got the idea he has a lot of puck skills, and it is sad to me the coaching staff doesn't tell him to knock it off.

Of course they also seem to be coaching Seider to dump it in too, as Seider never did that his first season. Not sure why Lalonde and Boughner want low event dump ins instead of trying to make skill plays when you have skill players. That alone is why I am about done with Lalonde. Dump it in is one of the dumbest hockey strategies unless you are making a line change, as it just gives the puck to the other team for no reason and expects many unrealistic forecheck attempts when you don't have a crash and bang team. Most of our team is soft, so trying to chase down the puck in the offensive zone isn't a good strategy. Big reason why we have to chase the game so often.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I noticed way too many times this year where Chiarot would try skating through center ice like he was Bobby Orr and immediately turn it over at the blue line.

The guy is better when he focuses on his own side of the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad