Confirmed with Link: Chiarot to Detroit (4x $4.75)

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Yeah I get it. Just running out of patience.
Feel ya there. This year is a massive change though. You could see it coming too. There were no contracts really in the books for next year so I really think Yzerman wants a good team now. He brought in a couple rookies drafted under his watch, all of Holland's contracts left are gone, hired all coaching staff and made some decent signings but gave him all of options if something starts to go wrong.

With the possibilities of Edvinsson, Berggren,Johansson,SOderblom,Mazur etc playing with GR if not already getting a look for the team come training camp/preseason have a good shot of a call up due to injury or even a slumping player. Tons of competition this year. This year could make or break guys like Zadina or Hronek's future here. In reality if the Wings are trending towards the playoffs they could actually be buyers with the amount of players and cap space we have.

Needless to say I haven't been more excited as a Wings fan as I am as this year. I am actually confident that a good portion into the season that they Wings will be a dark horse contender. Call me crazy all you want 😂

Reactions: Henkka

USMarine

May 4, 2022
Mississippi
www.letsgowings.com
Feel ya there. This year is a massive change though. You could see it coming too. There were no contracts really in the books for next year so I really think Yzerman wants a good team now. He brought in a couple rookies drafted under his watch, all of Holland's contracts left are gone, hired all coaching staff and made some decent signings but gave him all of options if something starts to go wrong.

With the possibilities of Edvinsson, Berggren,Johansson,SOderblom,Mazur etc playing with GR if not already getting a look for the team come training camp/preseason have a good shot of a call up due to injury or even a slumping player. Tons of competition this year. This year could make or break guys like Zadina or Hronek's future here. In reality if the Wings are trending towards the playoffs they could actually be buyers with the amount of players and cap space we have.

Needless to say I haven't been more excited as a Wings fan as I am as this year. I am actually confident that a good portion into the season that they Wings will be a dark horse contender. Call me crazy all you want 😂
Suddenly we have a good goalie tandem. Are much deeper at scoring forwards. And our top pair (Chia-Mo) looks really good. With rookies on the way.

Our weakness, IMO, is still defense.

After Chia-Mo we are liable to get torn up. Hronek is the best we got, and folks wont shut up about how stinky he is. Maata cant move a puck anywhere and skates like a drunk chimpanzee. Lindstrom is basically Marchenko round 2. And Oesterle is a bench warmer.

MAYBE Eddog saves us... but expecting him to be another Seider a year sooner than Seider is pretty unlikely IMO.

TLDR: We barely miss the playoffs due to the bottom 4

DontEverTouchMyPuck

Jul 30, 2018
Exactly. If Detroit is relying on Chiarot to be the puckmover on his pairing then there is a major problem.

I will admit that I wish Detroit had one more solid puckmover (such as Klingberg) or a better 3rd pair RD but thems the breaks.
I think Big Ben will be well liked here. He's never going to be an analytics darling, that's just not his game. He's an oldschool rugged defensive Dman. His job will be to support Seider and keep up with him for 20-25 min a night. Which Chia proved he could do in MTL, both with Weber and without.

Remember Marc Methot? Alone Methot was kinda meh. But with Karlsson they were one of the best top pairings in the league. Chia can do that for Seider. Play defensively responsible, not get gassed from heavy minutes, and give the puck to Mo so he can shine. Heck Chia-Webs were hell to play against in that Habs run to the finals. We're going to replicate that here.

The Dman that becomes the new whipping boy i think will be Maata. Guy doesnt score, doesnt skate very well, and plays poke n hope defense. Chia will look like a PHYSICAL BEAST compared to that.

While im on the subject, i dont care much for Lindstrom either. Not really good at anything, and is a string bean. Either get that boy some milk or let Pysyk/Kampfer play.

Daddy Ben is by far the best Dman weve signed in a while IMO. Unless you think that sandbagger Leddy was good I guess. Pretty excited to see what our top pair can do this year!

I watched him a lot with Montreal. And I LOVE this signing for Wings.

He is a tough body, especially in his end. His strength is in his own zone - smart movement, good reads, closes lanes. To me, that's his value - shutting down action in the defensive zone. Easy guy to pair with.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

We are not good enough to be buyers. Kasper doesn't need GR, he could play any line any position. Edvinsson needs to be learn to play against the best, Elmer also should be with RW. For that , we need to be sellers

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't think Chiarot has been as bad as his +/- suggests, but he also hasn't been very good. I was a fan of his signing, cause I thought we were getting a physical stay at home defensive guy. The physicality is there, but he plays like he is a puck mover when he isn't and to his detriment and his partner. Not sure why the coaching staff isn't reigning him in at all.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
I don't think Chiarot has been as bad as his +/- suggests, but he also hasn't been very good. I was a fan of his signing, cause I thought we were getting a physical stay at home defensive guy. The physicality is there, but he plays like he is a puck mover when he isn't and to his detriment and his partner. Not sure why the coaching staff isn't reining him in at all.
No I think he’s an actually been worse and was bringing Seider down big time.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We kinda stocked with Chiarot for next 3 years . We could bring Edvinsson and try them together I guess. If Ben like to move puck , fine Edvinsson could be just stay home for next 2 seasons. It will help Edvinsson to adjust to NHL, by not doing everything by himself, just concentrate on defense and he's excellent passer also

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
We kinda stocked with Chiarot for next 3 years . We could bring Edvinsson and try them together I guess. If Ben like to move puck , fine Edvinsson could be just stay home for next 2 seasons. It will help Edvinsson to adjust to NHL, by not doing everything by himself, just concentrate on defense and he's excellent passer also

You’ll ruin Edvinsson if he’s trying to learn the pro game next to Chiarot. The only thing you can reasonably do is put Chiarot on his off hand as the 3rd pair RD with a guy like Walman or Maata, and then have whoever isn’t with Chiarot in the top four with Edvinsson.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Edvinsson is a puck-mover though, that's one of his biggest strengths. For him to grow and flourish in the NHL, I think he needs to be allowed to do the things he's good at, while working on the other things. Chiarot might be even worse for Edvinsson than he is for Seider. And he's bad with Hronek. Really Chiarot should be playing with a stay-at-home type like Maata or Lindstrom.

It feels weird to say, but it's almost a problem that we have too many puck-movers projected in the lineup next season (Seider, Hronek, Chiarot, and Ed). Two of them have to play together. And then you possibly have Walman in the mix too, though I think his puck-moving game is much more adaptable.

Would be nice if Chiarot would just not be a puck mover. Just be a monster roaming the defensive zone and defer to his partner on breakouts, but that's obviously not who he is, and we have him signed for 3 more years.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Edvinsson is a puck-mover though, that's one of his biggest strengths. For him to grow and flourish in the NHL, I think he needs to be allowed to do the things he's good at, while working on the other things. Chiarot might be even worse for Edvinsson than he is for Seider. And he's bad with Hronek. Really Chiarot should be playing with a stay-at-home type like Maata or Lindstrom.

It feels weird to say, but it's almost a problem that we have too many puck-movers projected in the lineup next season (Seider, Hronek, Chiarot, and Ed). Two of them have to play together. And then you possibly have Walman in the mix too, though I think his puck-moving game is much more adaptable.

Would be nice if Chiarot would just not be a puck mover. Just be a monster roaming the defensive zone and defer to his partner on breakouts, but that's obviously not who he is, and we have him signed for 3 more years.
You sounds like this sighing was Yzerman huge mistake. Should we just trade him for third or fourth round ?

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
You sounds like this sighing was Yzerman huge mistake. Should we just trade him for third or fourth round ?
I think the signing and Chiarot himself are somewhat problematic in terms of this roster and its makeup. I think Chiarot's future deployment on this team includes several challenges. But that's not all to say the signing was a mistake, as of now. The guy isn't without value.

I'm not a knee-jerk reactionist, so I'm not going to advocate for trading him, no. At least not right now. But there will continue to be bumps in the road when it comes to Chiarot, imo.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think the signing and Chiarot himself are somewhat problematic in terms of this roster and its makeup. I think Chiarot's future deployment on this team includes several challenges. But that's not all to say the signing was a mistake, as of now. The guy isn't without value.

I'm not a knee-jerk reactionist, so I'm not going to advocate for trading him, no. At least not right now. But there will continue to be bumps in the road when it comes to Chiarot, imo.

To me, Chiarot is starting to look like a guy who can hold his own and not be a complete trainwreck as a top 4 on a bottom team, but not someone you want above 5-6 on a good team.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

If those two kids are smart enough, I don't think we should have an issue putting them together. Ed's lack of experience might be an issue, but Seider's a special kid. Re-sign Maata to play with Hronek again, and pair Chiarot with Lidstrom. I can see that working.

Reactions: 14ari13

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
If those two kids are smart enough, I don't think we should have an issue putting them together. Ed's lack of experience might be an issue, but Seider's a special kid. Re-sign Maata to play with Hronek again, and pair Chiarot with Lidstrom. I can see that working.
I agree with the idea of making Seider and Ed a pair, I think their styles would work well together. My main concern would be deploying them in a way where Seider is getting the tough minutes he's good at handling and Ed not being in over his head with a role and minutes that he's not ready for.

But yeah, I'd be down with that setup.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I agree with the idea of making Seider and Ed a pair, I think their styles would work well together. My main concern would be deploying them in a way where Seider is getting the tough minutes he's good at handling and Ed not being in over his head with a role and minutes that he's not ready for.

But yeah, I'd be down with that setup.

I think Seider could carry him, tbh. Especially after dealing with Chiatot for a year. Seider would have plenty of motivation to make it work.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Lidstrom was a stay at home defensive that picked up a few (dozen) points in the O zone as an afterthought.

I'm not suggesting anyone on the team is Lidstrom-like, obviously, just that some people may have a perceived mismatch between their skills and their style. I see a little bit in Mo where he can hang back, keep the play in front of him but still take advantage of opportunities when they come up. Chiarot is mediocre with offensive skill but wants to push play, which is kind of a problem.

Sorry, not really much of a point, just adding some context to the discussion of trying to match defenders based on their styles.

Reactions: Winger98 and jaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad