Confirmed with Link: Chiarot to Detroit (4x $4.75)

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Just saw this on Reddit. Not a great look for Chiarot, although anything will likely be an improvement over our recent defenses. Also look at Nemeth, Stecher, Merrill, Jensen and Leddy.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just saw this on Reddit. Not a great look for Chiarot, although anything will likely be an improvement over our recent defenses. Also look at Nemeth, Stecher, Jensen and Leddy.

Right next to Nurse, so hey, at least he’s not making 9.25

#TBT to people trying to say Nemeth/Stecher were decent players.

Reactions: Gniwder

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
This signing pretty much confirms what I have said all along. This rebuild is a very long way from over.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
#TBT to people trying to say Nemeth/Stecher were decent players.

They did fetch 4th + 7th round picks for us, and that's pretty fine. :)

We did pick Maximilian Kilpinen and Brennan Ali with those picks.

Roman Josi looks like 100-point 4th forward.

Too bad you can't see all the names on those logos.

Reactions: Frk It

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Do explain.
I just think this batch of guys are merely a new and slightly improved version of stopgaps that won't be here for the hypothetical cup window. I'm glad they're willing to take our money but I don't see any of them winning a cup here. There's still a very long way to go.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Just saw this on Reddit. Not a great look for Chiarot, although anything will likely be an improvement over our recent defenses. Also look at Nemeth, Stecher, Merrill, Jensen and Leddy.

Not sure what to make of this, Carlson and Fehervary were paired together, and they got abused by FLA.

Not a huge surprise Nemeth (5 GP) and Stetcher (4 GP) had zero takeaways, lol.

I just think this batch of guys are merely a new and slightly improved version of stopgaps that won't be here for the hypothetical cup window. I'm glad they're willing to take our money but I don't see any of them winning a cup here. There's still a very long way to go.
Were you expecting the Wings to make a Cup run next season?

At least it'll be watchable unlike the last 5 seasons.

Reactions: Revenge of Gru

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Not sure what to make of this, Carlson and Fehervary were paired together, and they got abused by FLA.

No. I'm not expecting a cup run in the next 5-6 years. Agree it should be slightly better if Gru can coach.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Really nice to add some toughness to the lineup. Bonus that his name is Ben.
45gtrm.jpg

Ben? Nice to meet you. Victor Hugo.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

And isn't that chart using wildly different (and small) sample sizes for each player?

Like Stecher's 4 playoff games compared to say Hedman's 23?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Another one. Chiarot not great at exiting the zone. From this Reddit thread.

Yeah, some of these are really small sample sizes. However it seems to fit with what you would expect from many of these players.
So Fehervary is carrying Carlson and his $8M salary cap? That's an interesting take..... I refuse to believe any plot unless Makar is above everyone else, lol.

I think this does show puck moving ability (or lack of) though, and we know that's not why Chiarot got signed. He's gonna be paired with Hronek or Seider anyways.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
These are individual stats, and just like many here said, pair Chiarot with Seider and there's no problem at moving the puck from own zone.

D-pair chemistry is important.

Chiarot is great without the puck, Seider not so (only hitting). Seider is great with the puck. Just like playmaker and scorer. Match them well and find the right fitting pairs.

When looking on that D-pair-data, from the playoffs, Chiarot was:

good with Montour
good with Weegar
good with Gudas

suffered with Ekblad.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yes
Puckhandler enters the zone
Mo lights him up
Former puckhandler rolls around on ice wondering what just happened
Chiarot collects puck and passes it to Seider

Exactly. If Detroit is relying on Chiarot to be the puckmover on his pairing then there is a major problem.

I will admit that I wish Detroit had one more solid puckmover (such as Klingberg) or a better 3rd pair RD but thems the breaks.

USMarine

May 4, 2022
Mississippi
www.letsgowings.com
I think Big Ben will be well liked here. He's never going to be an analytics darling, that's just not his game. He's an oldschool rugged defensive Dman. His job will be to support Seider and keep up with him for 20-25 min a night. Which Chia proved he could do in MTL, both with Weber and without.

Remember Marc Methot? Alone Methot was kinda meh. But with Karlsson they were one of the best top pairings in the league. Chia can do that for Seider. Play defensively responsible, not get gassed from heavy minutes, and give the puck to Mo so he can shine. Heck Chia-Webs were hell to play against in that Habs run to the finals. We're going to replicate that here.

The Dman that becomes the new whipping boy i think will be Maata. Guy doesnt score, doesnt skate very well, and plays poke n hope defense. Chia will look like a PHYSICAL BEAST compared to that.

While im on the subject, i dont care much for Lindstrom either. Not really good at anything, and is a string bean. Either get that boy some milk or let Pysyk/Kampfer play.

Daddy Ben is by far the best Dman weve signed in a while IMO. Unless you think that sandbagger Leddy was good I guess. Pretty excited to see what our top pair can do this year!

Reactions: HawkyTown

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
I think Big Ben will be well liked here. He's never going to be an analytics darling, that's just not his game. He's an oldschool rugged defensive Dman. His job will be to support Seider and keep up with him for 20-25 min a night. Which Chia proved he could do in MTL, both with Weber and without.

Remember Marc Methot? Alone Methot was kinda meh. But with Karlsson they were one of the best top pairings in the league. Chia can do that for Seider. Play defensively responsible, not get gassed from heavy minutes, and give the puck to Mo so he can shine. Heck Chia-Webs were hell to play against in that Habs run to the finals. We're going to replicate that here.

The Dman that becomes the new whipping boy i think will be Maata. Guy doesnt score, doesnt skate very well, and plays poke n hope defense. Chia will look like a PHYSICAL BEAST compared to that.

While im on the subject, i dont care much for Lindstrom either. Not really good at anything, and is a string bean. Either get that boy some milk or let Pysyk/Kampfer play.

Daddy Ben is by far the best Dman weve signed in a while IMO. Unless you think that sandbagger Leddy was good I guess. Pretty excited to see what our top pair can do this year!
Username checks out

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
The Wings has literally been bottom five in goals allowed for how many seasons? At least three…

This is a guy who was brought in to stop goals from happening. He’s here to clear the crease, take the body, hit hard, skate fast, and lessen the defensive load of his partner and even cover for them by cheating over. He is a true stay at home.

I don’t understand the value of throwing stats up on transition and points etc whatever. He is hard to play against, every coach whose had him has always used him in the toughest possible situations and at the most crucial times. Be happy he’s here. For about 15 years, all I’ve seen in these boards are complaining about our toughness and mixing it up, well this is it. This is what it looks like.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Thankfully, none of the current guys have holes in their game quite like those two did. Sproul just couldn't process the game at all. And I feel the worst for Ouellet, because he could have been a perfectly good depth defenseman, he had the brain and skillset, but he didn't have the athleticism. He's putting up a bunch of points in the AHL these days.

Now we're in a situation where hockey sense and athleticism are more the rule than the exception. Wallinder is the only one who has been criticized for IQ, I think. But he's quite notably pulled out of it.

We will see once they get to AHL/NHL...

Don't get your hopes up for to many of these guys becoming anything. We do certainly have a good crop of D prospects. If we get 1 player outside of Edvinsson that can carve a decent role on the team I will be very happy. Maybe a couple guys end up playing bottom pair for cheap for a handful of years. That's roughly a realistic outcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad