News Article: Chiarelli: No intentions of firing McLellan

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
In their first 40 games last season, Eberle/Pouliot/Hendricks had 41 points in a combined 120 games played.

In Strome's first 40 games, Khaira's 30 games and Pulju's 26 games this season, they have 41 points in a combined 96 games played.

I think the idea that Chia dismantled this team and left McLellan with nothing to work with is just patently false. Coaching has been the problem this season. The special teams alone speak to that.

I don't think Chia has been good, but I think the only reason why he's on the hot seat is for sticking by this coaching staff. And I wouldn't be surprised if he was being told to stick by them for financial reasons.

I believe it's much more on the players and chia than it is on todd. I don't think you can go strictly by numbers and points produced. though I didn't believe much in Poo and Ebs I'm not sure their replacements have done any better.

I feel sorry for Todd because essentially he needs to make Chicken soup with chicken cr@9 especially at the forward position. A lot of players like Klef and Drai have also let him down. It's on the players and chia for not bringing in some good quality vets that can really help the mentality of this team. Even acquiring someone like Justin Williams might have done wonders for the mindset of the team. A lot of the time that's what separates a decent team from a crap team with no belief in themselves. Those extra one or two QUALITY vets who have a strong voice and can rally the troops going forward.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Kind of an odd view when one considers that Khaira was benched 10 games this year due to not offering anything at all to the lineup. Or that Pulju was so underwhelming out of TC and Exhibition that he didn't even make the starting lineup. Or that Strome has been so useless that he SHOULD be benched.

Hendricks was also done, and buried in bottom line. What points are happening there? Pouliot and Eberle had very unrepresentative career worst seasons. This is the best we can ever expect from Khaira/Strome.

Finally, Pulju, in your analysis is not a replacement as such, he does not represent an either or. A team this year that held onto Eberle Pouliot, would still have Pulju in the lineup, and thank lordy, no Ryan strome. alas.

That just illustrates my point further.

The three biggest forward departures from last season have had their half season production matched by Puljujarvi and, in your mind, two completely useless players.

I think it's pretty clear there's far more of an issue with how the coach has handled the players compared to what players the GM has given the coach.

Last edited:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
What they're doing now is irrelevant.

The Oilers made the playoffs with that production last season and it's been matched by players on the team this season, so considering the difference in where they are in the standings, there's obviously some much bigger problems going on than those roster changes.

but it isn't that cut and dry. you replaced eberle who is a top 6 winger and PP fixture for nothing. the replacement should be JP98 but they aren't using him on the top PP unit.

They replaced pouliot who is a better than average forechecking forward and an excellent penalty killer, no one can replace that value.

he left holes, big ones

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Chia is full of crap, afraid of an offer sheet but then they give him 8.5?? The timing of the Russel deal seems to throw some shade on his excuse. Enough is enough.
He sounds like a lost idiot, he has completely lost the plot, studdering and stammering, no direct answers.
Fire this guy now before he does more damage!!!

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
but it isn't that cut and dry. you replaced eberle who is a top 6 winger and PP fixture for nothing. the replacement should be JP98 but they aren't using him on the top PP unit.

They replaced pouliot who is a better than average forechecking forward and an excellent penalty killer, no one can replace that value.

he left holes, big ones

Player usage is on the coach. Pulju should obviously be a focus on the PP, but he isn't.

And Khaira has very easily replaced the Pouliot of last season. He gets in on the forecheck and he's statistically the team's best PKing forward.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I love all the old time media and the journal and Sportsnet sucking the proverbial penis with Chia and McLellan. And then you got the guys on 1260 telling it as it isn't big props to Gregor and Lowetide today

Reactions: shoop

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Player usage is on the coach. Pulju should obviously be a focus on the PP, but he isn't.

And Khaira has very easily replaced the Pouliot of last season. He gets in on the forecheck and he's statistically the team's best PKing forward.
But unless I'm misremembering Pouliot was never on Draisatls wing. Khaira has reverted back to what he always has been, a fringe NHL player who is on a lengthy list of potential healthy scratch candidates. He played really well for about 15 games and he has been invisible the rest of the season.

The crux of my argument is that Chia let go a bunch of NHL players and put tweeners in their place. Do you think the Lightning or Penguins would have Strome and Khaira as their second line wingers?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The problem isn't Pouliot/Hendricks. These are minor players.

Hall trade, Reinhart trade, Eberle trade and three massive stabs to the back of the franchise. This team has lost too much blood from the damage caused by Chiarelli getting hosed each one of his 3 summers here.

You have Hall, Barzal here and no one is complaining about anything, Eberle would just be a bonus. Eventually you can find a no.3 D like Hjlamarsson or Hamonic, that's not a big deal.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
He truly stumbled at the question directly pointed at his performance last summer about whether he should've done more in retrospect.
Said basically "It's a hard question, but a fair question" without answering it.

You can bet he's feeling the heat. But that doesn't alleviate my concerns. Given his track record with major moves as many have pointed out (Hall, Eberle, Reinhart picks), it makes me even more worried he's going to lose another trade in desperation to save his job.

He says he wants to stand pat, and wait and see. I actually hope he does or is let go before he can do anymore damage.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
You have Hall, Barzal here and no one is complaining about anything,
Sure they are, they're complaining that Benning is the top right handed defenseman on the team and Gryba is the #2 guy and lots of complaints about how trash the D is. Maybe they bump those guys down and have Russell as the top RD, but again, still be tons of complaints about that.

This team tried to overcome having shit D with lots of scoring forwards, it didn't work then it wouldn't work now. There are lots of things going wrong with this years team, chiefly it's Talbot not being quite as solid as he was last year and every defensemen save Nurse being significantly worse than they were last year. Yeah the wingers run hot and cold but they did last year too, difference was last year they could keep from having those ugly breakdowns defensively.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sure they are, they're complaining that Benning is the top right handed defenseman on the team and Gryba is the #2 guy and lots of complaints about how trash the D is. Maybe they bump those guys down and have Russell as the top RD, but again, still be tons of complaints about that.

This team tried to overcome having **** D with lots of scoring forwards, it didn't work then it wouldn't work now. There are lots of things going wrong with this years team, chiefly it's Talbot not being quite as solid as he was last year and every defensemen save Nurse being significantly worse than they were last year. Yeah the wingers run hot and cold but they did last year too, difference was last year they could keep from having those ugly breakdowns defensively.

Last year Cam bailed out the D. This year he's not able to do it as often.

They still have a shit D today. Bunch of guys who make no impact on the game, no offensive threat on the back end, no one who can make a great outlet pass, and a group defensively that makes hilarious error after error when ever they get forechecked hard. This is a low I.Q. defensive core. The stupid is strong with them.

There's one sequence that just kind of sums it up to me a couple of games ago, Russell is very clearly hurt, and the other D with no awareness of that immediately whips a pass out of panic straight to Russell. I dunno why but to me it just sums up this d-group, lol.

Reactions: CrazyJoeDavola

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Last year Cam bailed out the D. This year he's not able to do it as often.

They still have a **** D today. Bunch of guys who make no impact on the game, no offensive threat on the back end, and a D group that makes hilarious error after error when ever they get forechecked hard. This is a low I.Q. defensive core. The stupid is strong with them.

Talbot was better last year to be sure, but he's not the only one. All of the D except Nurse were better last season and that's independent of what Talbot is doing in net. This isn't a case of things being hidden last season, this is a simple case of a lot of people under achieving this year. I suspect Klefbom has been playing hurt all year because in game #1 of the season he was fantastic and hasn't been the same since and I have a hard time believing that the guy showed so much the 2 previous years only to look like a brain dead scrub this year. Larsson I also think is playing hurt at the moment. He hasn't been the same ever since he missed time to injury. Sekera obviously the injury has been the issue there. Russell is doing OK I guess, but Russell is limited in what he is at the best of times and he can't be one of your best D, supporting player on the 2nd pair or 3rd pair is where he is at his best.

Let's not pretend that this play from the D was expected by anyone. This is what Chiarelli means when he talks about death by 1000 cuts.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Talbot was better last year to be sure, but he's not the only one. All of the D except Nurse were better last season and that's independent of what Talbot is doing in net. This isn't a case of things being hidden last season, this is a simple case of a lot of people under achieving this year. I suspect Klefbom has been playing hurt all year because in game #1 of the season he was fantastic and hasn't been the same since and I have a hard time believing that the guy showed so much the 2 previous years only to look like a brain dead scrub this year. Larsson I also think is playing hurt at the moment. He hasn't been the same ever since he missed time to injury. Sekera obviously the injury has been the issue there. Russell is doing OK I guess, but Russell is limited in what he is at the best of times and he can't be one of your best D, supporting player on the 2nd pair or 3rd pair is where he is at his best.

Let's not pretend that this play from the D was expected by anyone. This is what Chiarelli means when he talks about death by 1000 cuts.

I don't think the D is very good to begin with.

Who here can even shoot the puck onto the net reliably?

Who has a good outlet pass?

Who doesn't panic under pressure?

Who doesn't blow their coverage due to dumb hockey I.Q.?

Talbot masked a lot of their stupidity last year.

Sekera is the best player on the D when healthy overall and by Chia's own ranking he has called Sekera a no.3 D-Man.

This D is overrated. I would trade them all for Colorado's D without a second thought. Erik Johnson and Tyson Barrie are better quality D than what we have.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Using one season as the snap shot to judge the D is just lunacy. They are playing poorly now, but I expect them all to rebound. Klefbom didn't just turn into a pumpkin this year after 2 great years of development. Larsson didn't just forget how to play after always having the reputation of being solid defensively. This is the same nonsense that ran Eberle out of town after he had a down year last year too.

Let's call it what it is, this teams D is collectively having a poor season, they are prime candidates for rebound years. Hell last year people were laughing at Colorados D, and they laughed at Dallas' D too last year, both seem OK now a year later. Yes the Oilers defense isn't the most dynamic offensively, which is why I personally would be using Auvitu there more, but they're not plugs you are painting them at.

Too many people too willing to call it all garbage because it's been ugly this year, there's a big picture here people. Bad this year does not mean always been and always will be bad.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I love all the old time media and the journal and Sportsnet sucking the proverbial penis with Chia and McLellan.

The Edmonton Journal was a little ridiculous today. From Kurt Leavins' column at the cult of hockey

What does Connor McDavid not need? Leon Draisaitl? Oscar Klefbom? Darnell Nurse? Jesse Puljujarvi? They don't need another coach with yet another system.

These guys can't even be honest in their proverbial ... activities. :D

"Yet another system" is ridiculous hyperbole. McDavid and Puljujarvi have only played NHL games under one system. Nurse played two whole games under a different coach. Klefa 17. Draisaitl 37.

As long as McLellan isn't the coach to start next year I guess that's ok. Don't think an interim MacT-type coach would hurt the development of any of these players.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That's how this organization has operated since Lowe went into management.
That this seems okay clearly shows it’s an ownership philosophy. There is never any reason to do anything unless fans are threatening not to buy tickets. Had hoped we were done this this kind of crap management where nobody in the organization gets a shit if the team is winning or not. Chiarelli making this statement confirms this is the style of management we get, irregardless of who holds the position, as long as Katz owns the team.

You guys screaming for Chiarelli’s head are wasting your time here.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'd expect a GM or coach to at least try something different to fix even one of the problems. They've been "working through it" all season and nothing has changed. It's gotten worse in some areas. Not bringing in another voice for the special teams is pure stupidity.
If you bring in an outside voice and he ends up being right then it becomes awkward for the original guys. Better doing nothing so nobody gets their feelings hurt.

John Connor McDavid

Apr 17, 2017
This season isn't on McLellan whatsoever. He has been given **** all to work with within a system that's been effective (look at some of our advanced stats for more proof).

All of Chiarelli's bets have essentially failed.

1) Reinhart for what could have been Matt Barzal+2nd rounder. Reinhart is going the way of Colten Teubert. He will be forgotten by 2020.

2) Larsson for Hall - despite Larsson's strong showing (and no, he has not regressed this year) he is nowhere near in value to what Hall is (top-15 in NHL scoring and leading the NJD playoff run)

3) Caggiula/Slepyshev - inconsistent and unproven all of last year, both have been duds this year. We traded Eberle out of belief these guys could step up? Jesus. Craig Button just put up a feature on TSN showing how these guys are jokes at even maintaining possession. We then make the internal decision not to retain Tyler Pitlick, who is back at a 30-pt pace in Dallas while playing in the bottom-6 (same clip as Letestu)

4) Strome for Eberle: a) trading Eberle when his value was at its all-time lowest was dumb b) claiming that we "needed" the cap space (which we haven't used to date) when the cap was GOING UP was dumber c) trading for this bum Strome is the most asinine part of the deal. It's like we don't send pro scouts to watch Islander games and simply pluck their castaways based on their draft position (see: Reinhart)

5) Gifting Draisaitl 8.5M/yr (that's Stamkos money) when he can't consistently lead a line. Did we really just give this guy 2M more than he deserves off of ONE strong 7-game series vs ANA? Jeez. If you want an honest assessment of an elite complimentary player's value look no further than Phil Kessel, who is getting paid 8M per but Pitt is actually having to shell out $6.8M per for. That's how much this guy is worth on a first RFA contract. Not Stamkos money.

6) Broissoit to be our backup - not the only reason we aren't in the playoffs, but to put an unproven rookie in at backup for a "playoff contender" is always a mistake. When Talbot went down winning was out of the question when this guy was in

7) Erik Gryba was extended. His failure surprises nobody. But he gets TWO YEARS. Meanwhile, Jordan Oesterle is on the top pairing in Chicago. This is a kid who NEVER looked bad at the NHL level, which is more than what we can say for Gryba. Yet somehow in our internal talent assessment gets discarded to keep the slow pylon.

8) Benoit Pouliot bought out? He's on pace for 15+ goals this year in Buffalo, meanwhile since he's been gone our PK has slipped to last in the league.

I love how pro-active a GM Chiarelli is - but that's only good when you win some deals. Chiarelli keeps losing.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Kind of an odd view when one considers that Khaira was benched 10 games this year due to not offering anything at all to the lineup. Or that Pulju was so underwhelming out of TC and Exhibition that he didn't even make the starting lineup. Or that Strome has been so useless that he SHOULD be benched.

Hendricks was also done, and buried in bottom line. What points are happening there? Pouliot and Eberle had very unrepresentative career worst seasons. This is the best we can ever expect from Khaira/Strome.

Finally, Pulju, in your analysis is not a replacement as such, he does not represent an either or. A team this year that held onto Eberle Pouliot, would still have Pulju in the lineup, and thank lordy, no Ryan strome. alas.

It's not like Pouliot has really made much of a difference playing in Buffalo, last year was pretty representative of what he is now. How can you accurately say that all our players will never improve, saying this is the best we can expect from Kharia/Strome is pretty cynical and silly

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Using one season as the snap shot to judge the D is just lunacy. They are playing poorly now, but I expect them all to rebound. Klefbom didn't just turn into a pumpkin this year after 2 great years of development. Larsson didn't just forget how to play after always having the reputation of being solid defensively. This is the same nonsense that ran Eberle out of town after he had a down year last year too.

Let's call it what it is, this teams D is collectively having a poor season, they are prime candidates for rebound years. Hell last year people were laughing at Colorados D, and they laughed at Dallas' D too last year, both seem OK now a year later. Yes the Oilers defense isn't the most dynamic offensively, which is why I personally would be using Auvitu there more, but they're not plugs you are painting them at.

Too many people too willing to call it all garbage because it's been ugly this year, there's a big picture here people. Bad this year does not mean always been and always will be bad.
Really good post here. This is the approach I tried so hard to use this year. Problem is the season is so long and unless you just want to walk away for the rest of it and start fresh next year it’s tough maintaining that attitude. I commend you for hanging onto yours.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
It's not like Pouliot has really made much of a difference playing in Buffalo, last year was pretty representative of what he is now. How can you accurately say that all our players will never improve, saying this is the best we can expect from Kharia/Strome is pretty cynical and silly

Not to mention Pouliot was healthy scratched last week.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I don't think these guys are very good, they are being given credit for a very good season on the back of Talbot last year.

If they are so great, it should not be this hard to put together two good seasons in a row.

Ask yourself honestly if this d-group has even played 6-7 games this year where they were great. They have not.

Adam Larsson is not a difference maker, he is an above average D, the type of guy every team has one of, the overrating of this guy by Oiler fans to defend his trade is ridiculous.

He doesn't skate well, he doesn't have a good pass. He has a muffin of a shot and no offensive ability. He hits people. He loses his coverage a fair amount of times.

Klefbom had a good offensive season last year but has always had lots of defensive brain farts. This year he can't shoot the puck and his D is being exposed.

Rest of the group is nothing special. Not a single real top flight D or anyone even close here. You think anyone fears Adam Larsson ... lol. He is a Travis Hamonic tier player. Nothing special.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'm guessing he went to Todd and Todd balked at bringing in Pearn.
If this was the case then why not fire Todd now? If he can’t see he needs help now he never will. As a GM, how do you work with a guy like that? I know you’re only speculating but we’ve seen enough of Todd’s stubborn side to expect this is probably the truth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad