News Article: Chiarelli: No intentions of firing McLellan

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Code:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-gm-peter-chiarelli-no-intentions-firing-todd-mclellan/

“I have no intentions of firing Todd (McLellan). I want to work with the coach, and I think he’s a very good coach,” Chiarelli said over the phone from Nashville. “As far as Todd goes, and (his staff), I am not considering firing them. At this point we’re going to solve it together.”
“But remember my press conference (on Nov. 28) with the ‘death by a thousand cuts?’ That’s still going on right now.”
They won't even bring in a new voice for the special teams:

Chiarelli has, among other possible solutions, considered bringing in another assistant — like long-time NHL assistant coach Perry Pearn — to help assistants Jay Woodcroft (power play) and Jim Johnson (penalty kill).

“It’s something we’ve looked at, talked about,” he admitted. That likely won’t happen, however.

Last edited:

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
There's nothing to look forward to Oilers wise for a minimum of 10 months.

Well the draft will be exciting this year.

Have a chance to add a very high end player to a team that is astronomically underachieving.

You have to admit, if our PK and PP were where they were last year, we would be in the playoffs right now.

Reactions: LucicDestroyedHaley

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well the draft will be exciting this year.

Have a chance to add a very high end player to a team that is astronomically underachieving.

You have to admit, if our PK and PP were where they were last year, we would be in the playoffs right now.
If our PK and PP were average we still wouldn't be in the playoffs.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That last comment is why I like this guy. He's aware of his vocal detractors. He obviously rubs people the wrong way because he's not a guy who hints at what he's going to do or often does what a lot of people expect. I'm not happy with where the team is this season but I don't see a ton of logic in turfing the coaches today. The lack of viable replacements and the fact that its ultimately a comment on the players that the organization lacked faith in their ability to right the ship. I think this team and its coaches deserve the rest of the season to address the 'thousand cuts'...or at least two of them, the PP and the PK. I think that when those two wrongs get righted, we will be back to winning more hockey games than we lose.

Reactions: McGhost Division

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I mean, we all hope for a change, but I wouldn't and am not surprised if nothing happens either. Looks like we're riding out the season. lol

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We’d be close. Well above .500 special teams lost us a ton of games. Now the team is just mentally broken.
Average pp is 20 percent ours is 17. That would move us from 19 ppg to 24

Average pk is 81% ours is 71.5 with an average one we would go from allowing 39 to 26 so our goal differential would go from -23 to -6 which would put us in the exact same position goal differential wise in the conference. Calgary has a -4 and they are the team directly above us goal differential wise. Our team is still very bad 5 on 5

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That last comment is why I like this guy. He's aware of his vocal detractors. He obviously rubs people the wrong way because he's not a guy who hints at what he's going to do or often does what a lot of people expect. I'm not happy with where the team is this season but I don't see a ton of logic in turfing the coaches today. The lack of viable replacements and the fact that its ultimately a comment on the players that the organization lacked faith in their ability to right the ship. I think this team and its coaches deserve the rest of the season to address the 'thousand cuts'...or at least two of them, the PP and the PK. I think that when those two wrongs get righted, we will be back to winning more hockey games than we lose.
HE LITERALLY SAID HE IS PLANNING ON DOING NOTHING.

He is going to move Nuge for a shit winger. Probably rotate out more 4th line guys and go trade for another Gryba and call it a day. Probably lose a few high picks along the way

I have zero faith that he can do what is needed to fix this team. Zero.

Reactions: Dawn Wall

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Every single GM says the same thing in this situation. Did you expect Chia to say anything different?
I'd expect a GM or coach to at least try something different to fix even one of the problems. They've been "working through it" all season and nothing has changed. It's gotten worse in some areas. Not bringing in another voice for the special teams is pure stupidity.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'd expect a GM or coach to at least try something different to fix even one of the problems. They've been "working through it" all season and nothing has changed. It's gotten worse in some areas. Not bringing in another voice for the special teams is pure stupidity.
Pretty much Chia has straight up said he believes that all that needs to happen is to just work thru it and everything will be fine.

The season is a wash and they are just going to keep going and try the same shit next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad