Confirmed with Link: Chiarelli Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Chia would have dealt our 1st for Vermette... You are good with that?

That would have been rebuilding stage, no way we could have sirvived that, yandle+vermette for krug+1st+subban+spooner whatever it was supposed to be. We'd be nothing after that trade.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
If that was the word from on high, then they also need to be fired. Right now.

They, in no way shape or form, should have been considered more than a hot goalie run contender. Complete submarine job if they did that - and that isnt right.

Just disgusting.

Nothing I've heard alluded to the fact he wasn't able to sell. I've heard that Cam didn't want PC parting with young assets - prospects , draft picks etc... Huge diference especially when trying to right a cap mess.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Nothing I've heard alluded to the fact he wasn't able to sell. I've heard that Cam didn't want PC parting with young assets - prospects , draft picks etc... Huge diference especially when trying to right a cap mess.

Well he was basically told if he didn't make the playoffs he was fired. So no they may not have told him that he couldn't sell, but they made it clear it was not in his interest to sell

Does someone believe that if he moved Campbell, Soderberg, Paille, etc, and ended up with a 2nd round pick and 2 7ths, and the Bruins finished 11th instead of 14th pick, that would have saved Chia's job?

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Well he was basically told if he didn't make the playoffs he was fired. So no they may not have told him that he couldn't sell, but they made it clear it was not in his interest to sell

Agreed he couldn't sell pieces that would be commodities in upcoming seasons .

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
IMO, they were ready to fire him after the botched offseason and then Boychuck trade.

So why let him either sell or give up assets for a team he would not be a part of in a few month.

I don't see why this is such a surprise to many. Charlie and Cam have had it out for Chiarelli since the excuse making drivel he served to the fans after the 2010 blown series which prompted them to promote Cam above him though they thought Peter was "president material" earlier.

This is why myself and many on here were happy the Bruins missed the playoffs. Chiarelli has always been slow to react and filled with excuses who loved low risk/low reward players. The guy was obsessed with two teams (Sens and Calgary) that never won ****. He spent his entire career here trying to acquire all of them. I am very glad to see him gone.

I am glad he got torpedoed as some of you may call it, prevents the most amount of long term damage to the team.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007

Does someone believe that if he moved Campbell, Soderberg, Paille, etc, and ended up with a 2nd round pick and 2 7ths, and the Bruins finished 11th instead of 14th pick, that would have saved Chia's job?

No but it would have made his sucessors job easier which Cam and Jacobs have a strong vested interest in as should any fan of the team.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Maybe he wasn't told he couldn't sell. But why would Chia sell UFAs like Soderberg and McQuaid, ensure a playoff DNQ, and just to set the table for his replacement? You can't blame him there.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
IMO, they were ready to fire him after the botched offseason and then Boychuck trade.

So why let him either sell or give up assets for a team he would not be a part of in a few month.

I don't see why this is such a surprise to many. Charlie and Cam have had it out for Chiarelli since the excuse making drivel he served to the fans after the 2010 blown series which prompted them to promote Cam above him though they thought Peter was "president material" earlier.

This is why myself and many on here were happy the Bruins missed the playoffs. Chiarelli has always been slow to react and filled with excuses who loved low risk/low reward players. The guy was obsessed with two teams (Sens and Calgary) that never won ****. He spent his entire career here trying to acquire all of them. I am very glad to see him gone.

I am glad he got torpedoed as some of you may call it, prevents the most amount of long term damage to the team.

If they were ready to fire him In early October like you suggest, then they should have fired him. Just, no reason at all to leave him hanging all season while undermining him the whole way.

Let Neely step up and run the team as an interim GM, or let Sweeney have the job. But why throw away an entire season? What you suggest is far more damning on upper management than on Chia. An abject failure at the top of the organization

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I'm torn on this as it seems it wasn't done for the right reason - Which is icing the best team going forward. I think Chiarelli should've been given another year.

You can't fire talent - but I blame the players a lot more. What players even played up to expectations, never mind surpassed them this year. Anyone? Pastrnak exceeded. Spooner met them. Bergeron and Eriksson were decent. McQuaid and Krug met expectations I guess.

Krejci, Lucic, Marchand (had a good stretch) Soderberg, Smith, Paille, Kelly, Campbell, Chara, Seidenberg, Hamilton, Barkowski, Svedberg - even Rask. None of them performed nearly as well on the ice as you would expect. It happens. Good teams struggle sometimes. But to blame the GM? Give me a break. There is no way that line-up should miss the playoffs.

You can talk about Boychuk, Iginla and Thornton... and I really like all three. But in another light - you lost a top six scoring winger - but still had 4 - a number three d-man and a fourth line tough guy. That should not be enough to derail a team that won the President's trophy last year.

Or even Julien - how Eriksson doesn't get an extended look with Bergeron or Krejci is - strange - especially after Soderberg disappeared.

I said in another thread that it's about 'fracking' and OPEC - that they killed the price of oil which killed the Canadian dollar which drastically lowered the profits of the big Canadian teams which stagnated the Cap which hurt the big market successful teams (Boston, LA, Chicago, NYR) and has or will force them into some tough decisions. -and if he knew the price of oil was going to crash like it did then he's alone - and probably made enough short selling on the stock market to buy the Bruins.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
If they were ready to fire him In early October like you suggest, then they should have fired him. Just, no reason at all to leave him hanging all season while undermining him the whole way.

Let Neely step up and run the team as an interim GM, or let Sweeney have the job. But why throw away an entire season? What you suggest is far more damning on upper management than on Chia. An abject failure at the top of the organization

I gave up on the season in December.

BostonPC

Bleed Black & Gold
Dec 3, 2005
Woburn, MA

Neely is not going to do that. He made it very clear he does not micro-manage (presser). I personally don't think he would know what to do in that role. Much easier to sit on high and do whatever he does and let someone else get their hands dirty.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Or how much better if they would have got returns for pending UFAs like Soderbergs etc?

Even if they are 4th rounders - it at least gets you something to try to make a hit on the draft.

What they did running for the playoffs with dead contracts was futile. Seeing Campbell and Paille scratched at the end pissed me off mega.

Terrible - and still with JB55 working hard on the isle, no longer a UFA..

Oh we would not have had money for him, so we had to get something
But we are going to keep everyone else and lose them for nothing.

Dynamic. Just like our PP.

You don't buy rental players for assets unless you're in cup mode. This team was in just trying to make the playoffs mode, so the rationale behind their decision to not let him get rental players was sound. In terms of not letting him sell, who has said that? He didn't sell because he was scrambling, jusy trying to keep his job. If anything, that's on him for not selling. So that lack of selling off is just another **** you from Peter "The Capologist" Chiarelli, and has zero to do with the organization expecting more than a non playoff team. I mean come on, this team was a preseason favorite to contend for the cup, and here they are watching the playoffs. That alone speaks to how disgraceful a job the guy did as GM.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Maybe he wasn't told he couldn't sell. But why would Chia sell UFAs like Soderberg and McQuaid, ensure a playoff DNQ, and just to set the table for his replacement? You can't blame him there.

But in hindsight it was the right thing to do and the best for the Bruins. Sometimes business is cruel and certainly not fair, but who knows perhaps if Chia made these types of moves Cam and Charlie would have felt he was doing what's right for long term growth and would have kept him.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
You don't buy rental players for assets unless you're in cup mode. This team was in just trying to make the playoffs mode, so the rationale behind their decision to not let him get rental players was sound. In terms of not letting him sell, who has said that? He didn't sell because he was scrambling, jusy trying to keep his job. If anything, that's on him for not selling. So that lack of selling off is just another **** you from Peter "The Capologist" Chiarelli, and has zero to do with the organization expecting more than a non playoff team. I mean come on, this team was a preseason favorite to contend for the cup, and here they are watching the playoffs. That alone speaks to how disgraceful a job the guy did as GM.

Or how badly the players under performed.

BostonPC

Bleed Black & Gold
Dec 3, 2005
Woburn, MA
I'm torn on this as it seems it wasn't done for the right reason - Which is icing the best team going forward. I think Chiarelli should've been given another year.

You can't fire talent - but I blame the players a lot more. What players even played up to expectations, never mind surpassed them this year. Anyone? Pastrnak exceeded. Spooner met them. Bergeron and Eriksson were decent. McQuaid and Krug met expectations I guess.

Krejci, Lucic, Marchand (had a good stretch) Soderberg, Smith, Paille, Kelly, Campbell, Chara, Seidenberg, Hamilton, Barkowski, Svedberg - even Rask. None of them performed nearly as well on the ice as you would expect. It happens. Good teams struggle sometimes. But to blame the GM? Give me a break. There is no way that line-up should miss the playoffs.

You can talk about Boychuk, Iginla and Thornton... and I really like all three. But in another light - you lost a top six scoring winger - but still had 4 - a number three d-man and a fourth line tough guy. That should not be enough to derail a team that won the President's trophy last year.

Or even Julien - how Eriksson doesn't get an extended look with Bergeron or Krejci is - strange - especially after Soderberg disappeared.

I said in another thread that it's about 'fracking' and OPEC - that they killed the price of oil which killed the Canadian dollar which drastically lowered the profits of the big Canadian teams which stagnated the Cap which hurt the big market successful teams (Boston, LA, Chicago, NYR) and has or will force them into some tough decisions. -and if he knew the price of oil was going to crash like it did then he's alone - and probably made enough short selling on the stock market to buy the Bruins.

Good post.... you are right. No one saw the cap stagnating. Its very easy to blame after you see what happened. Much harder to make decisions in real time. I still think Chiarelli made mistakes but I believe he was trying to do what he thought was best for the team to keep them competitive until the cap flattened out. I think Charlie and Neely made their own panic move just like Chiarelli did with Boychuk.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I thought they both danced around the issues while talking about candour. Why couldn't they just say that missing the playoffs was the tipping point?

Interesting what Neely said about cautioning PC not to trade away young assets for rentals at the trade deadline. So Chia has Charlie on one side essentially putting him on notice in the press to improve the team, and Cam telling him not to trade away young assets for rentals.

Not like that is gonna limit your options!

Yes true, but it says quite a bit. To me it says that Chiarelli was already gone. And I'll say it again, I believe he was gone regardless (unless, of course, they got in for an unlikely long run in the Playoffs). Whether it was through getting fired, or resigning to take another position, I think he was 'exit, stage left!'

His leaving is best for both parties, and I truly believe that.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Yes true, but it says quite a bit. To me it says that Chiarelli was already gone. And I'll say it again, I believe he was gone regardless (unless, of course, they got in for an unlikely long run in the Playoffs). Whether it was through getting fired, or resigning to take another position, I think he was 'exit, stage left!'

His leaving is best for both parties, and I truly believe that.

Pretty much, Neely was looking for his reason to get rid of him, let's hope he knows what he is doing.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
But in hindsight it was the right thing to do and the best for the Bruins. Sometimes business is cruel and certainly not fair, but who knows perhaps if Chia made these types of moves Cam and Charlie would have felt he was doing what's right for long term growth and would have kept him.

Absolutely and I was in the "sell" camp back at deadline time. But sadly for Chia he knew it was playoffs or bust for his future in Boston, he wasn't going to jeopardize his chances of being kept on by selling then.

Jacobs aren't patient. They want results. I believe for them it's black and white. They allow Chia to spend to the cap (or in this season Boston's cap due to bonus overages) and they want results, period. Not saying it's right or wrong, it's their money and team, not how I would do business. But I still would of fired Chia simply for his track record since June 2013 onward.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Let Neely step up and run the team as an interim GM...
Neely is not going to do that. He made it very clear he does not micro-manage (presser).
This gives me second thoughts about his statement about micro-management:
On Jan. 4, when he traveled to a road game against Carolina, Neely called several high-level players into a meeting to find answers for underperformance. Neither Chiarelli nor Julien was aware of the meeting. The Bruins landed just four shots on the net in the first period. They lost to the Hurricanes in a shootout, 2-1.
That smells a bit like micro-management to me. I think he will be a bit of a micro-manager. Some will probably be okay with it. Not sure I am.

Peter Chiarelli’s ouster shows growing clout of Cam Neely

BostonPC

Bleed Black & Gold
Dec 3, 2005
Woburn, MA
Absolutely and I was in the "sell" camp back at deadline time. But sadly for Chia he knew it was playoffs or bust for his future in Boston, he wasn't going to jeopardize his chances of being kept on by selling then.

Jacobs aren't patient. They want results. I believe for them it's black and white. They allow Chia to spend to the cap (or in this season Boston's cap due to bonus overages) and they want results, period. Not saying it's right or wrong, it's their money and team, not how I would do business. But I still would of fired Chia simply for his track record since June 2013 onward.

How many years did they operate with low expectations? Now they find a GM and coaching combination that restores credibility to their organization and fire the GM after an off year? I think the pendulum swung too far the other way. Now they have zero tolerance. Good luck finding a new GM worth his salt to come into this situation.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I am getting the sense, having watched and listened to 'the rest' of the NHL and its horde of media types, that only Bruins fans 'get it' as to why he was let go.

Everyone else thinks the Bruins brass are cooked. My neighbors, all my friends, my hockey team all my media friends are laughing like the Bruins are teetering on the railing of the bridge.

I am done trying to explain that it's a long story.

I think this goes hand in hand with Boston's record with Thornton, Kessel and Seguin; having a strong owner and having their own "Boston" identity. Same goes for the other sports franchises in Beantown.

They march to the beat of their own tribe. Sometimes good. Sometimes bad.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Pretty much, Neely was looking for his reason to get rid of him, let's hope he knows what he is doing.

Hope for a strong, strong GM who won't let Cam and Chucky play in his garden.

Otherwise, dysfunction and impatience will follow.

So will the losing.

Need a good hire here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad