Confirmed with Link: Chiarelli Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Is there?

Add Seguin back to this team this past year. Put Thornton back instead of Caron. Put Boychuk back (meaning no Bart). Put a 30 goal scorer on top line wing.

Where are the Bruins today? Likely a top 2-3 seed at worst.

No salary cap in your fantasy land ?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'll take Gorton....is he available?

Wasn't there issues when he left? Maybe Fluto can stop campaigning to keep his source Claude and find and tell us why Gorton is not the golden boy equal to the HF infatuation

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Is there?

Add Seguin back to this team this past year. Put Thornton back instead of Caron. Put Boychuk back (meaning no Bart). Put a 30 goal scorer on top line wing.

Where are the Bruins today? Likely a top 2-3 seed at worst.

So say Seguin was still here, Thornton was re-signed and Boychuk never got traded, where was the cap space coming from for that 30 goal scorer?

You and the Canadian media make it sound so simple.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
So its not possible that - Seguin , Thornton and Boychuk would underperform on a Bruins team where virtually every other player underperformed.

Sure, it's possible. But underperform worse than Caron and whatever stiff they kept throwing out at RW to replace Iggy?

All we're talking about is 5 wins on the entire season. If Seguin, Boychuk and a viable replacement for Iggy can't get us 5 extra wins over stiffs like Caron over the course of a season, then why are we even talking about it? Clearly it wasn't a mistake letting them go then. Right?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Don't you find it a little dismissive when many if not most think it's a mistake, but a rather smallish group think it's not? Same with the dismissiveness regarding the hockey press, who aren't exactly dummies. Most seem to get that there were some problems; most seem to think they were resolvable without resorting to firing Chia. I can see how folks are ready for some change. I don't see how they can be so sure that this is the right move in the face of so much disagreement from the rest of the hockey world. It's certainly possible this is all a grand mistake. Only time will tell.

To be honest, I have little to no faith in the national hockey media to "get it right" regarding Chia's firing. The new GM may not be the answer, but Chia was not either.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
So say Seguin was still here, Thornton was re-signed and Boychuk never got traded, where was the cap space coming from for that 30 goal scorer?

You and the Canadian media make it sound so simple.

Smith's re-up is one starting point. We found over $3 mil for him, right? Compliance buyouts another. Obviously, they'd have had to be more aggressive in the trade market and not put the freeze on Chia.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Sure, it's possible. But underperform worse than Caron and whatever stiff they kept throwing out at RW to replace Iggy?

All we're talking about is 5 wins on the entire season. If Seguin, Boychuk and a viable replacement for Iggy can't get us 5 extra wins over stiffs like Caron over the course of a season, then why are we even talking about it? Clearly it wasn't a mistake letting them go then. Right?

This , a million times this.

Chia never replaced his skill guys, he thought glue guys would get it done and he was dead wrong.

In what league are you going to replace Seguin for Griffith and Boychuk for Bartkowski and still have a chance to win anything, you would think a Harvard grad would have a grasp on this, but his pig headedness caught up and now he is unemployed and for good reason.

Yes he did a great job and creating a team, but when it came down to it he couldn't keep it together, he kept the guys that are a dime a dozen and let go high end players, and that my friends is a great reason for his dismissal.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Smith's re-up is one starting point. We found over $3 mil for him, right? Compliance buyouts another. Obviously, they'd have had to be more aggressive in the trade market and not put the freeze on Chia.

When Chiarelli gets his next GM job he needs to take Smith in a deal.

Smith and Kelly

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
To be honest, I have little to no faith in the national hockey media to "get it right" regarding Chia's firing. The new GM may not be the answer, but Chia was not either.

Gotta say Joe, it's nice to see you finally came around on this guy. He had a lot of people fooled for a long time, but water always finds it's level. Yesterday was like Christmas, wrapped in a birthday, sprinkled with a 3 day weekend...

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
If a potential hire has a decision to make between a slow patient re-build with a re-building team where he gets to chart the course, and coming to Boston with expectations of an immediate turn-around and accomplish this with Neely and Jacobs charting the course for you, that potential hire is going to take the re-building team opportunity ever time. If for no other reason it would mean worst-case-scenario for him at least 5 years of employment versus 2 or 3.

Again disagree, in the win now scenario - if the team did win he could add the I was a Cup winning GM to his resume something someone might find more valuable then 5 years of employment.

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
I thought the same thing. The gibberish from the Canadian media was the same line over and over.

"Never replaced Iginla, never replaced Boychuk, never replaced Thornton"

"Seguin trade was bad"

Rinse and repeat.

As if those were the only reasons the Bruins are in the shape they are now. There is much more to it than that.

That, that superficial crap about a couple bad trades and missing the playoffs being a terrible reason to fire him and that they're doomed because of it. Wanted to throw my radio through a wall. I completely understand why he was fired and I'm a just a fan living on the other side of the continent. Do your damn jobs people. Look past the stuff on the surface. Why are those players missed so badly? Because Chia couldn't draft worth a tinker's damn and lost his ability to make a decent trade. To me the bad contracts and nmc's are just icing. I was disgusted to be honest.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Gotta say Joe, it's nice to see you finally came around on this guy. He had a lot of people fooled for a long time, but water always finds it's level. Yesterday was like Christmas, wrapped in a birthday, sprinkled with a 3 day weekend...

Agree!!!! So happy after 32 years of going to games we have someone like Néely who played a style I like and wants to get back to it. What a breath of fresh air

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Agree!!!! So happy after 32 years of going to games we have someone like Néely who played a style I like and wants to get back to it. What a breath of fresh air

I'm not even at the point where I've thought about their overall playing style. I'm just giddy that Neely is also tired of the 15 d to d reverse passes this team has used as the focal point of their transition game for the last 8 years. Him saying he wants to improve just that one aspect of their game makes me happy. :laugh:

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007

The whole team under performed with maybe the exception of Bergy and Rask and I'm not even convinced on those two. 50+ points from your top scorer and a goalie who seemed to not be able to win critical games. What I'm saying is there were bigger issues than missing a few players here and there. We watched this team all season go through horrible stretches where they looked like the worst team in the league. Was this a team that was going to go far in the playoffs if they snuck in - No. And as much as it upset me and everyone else here, its for the best , as at least some of the issues are being addressed , with one major piece yet to come the dismissal of Julien.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
Anyone that watched the team the last couple of seasons should know of the problems with the team. The players started to veer away from hits, they started not going to dirty areas, they lacked focused when pressure started to mount and rarely got emotional involved too. Something was just off with this team. It felt like the B on the front of thier jerseys didnt give them much pride anymore.

It was too much a country club atmosphere this year, but its been heading this direction the last couple of seasons. Getting scored on late in games, waiting until the third period to start playing hard. Last year they had the talent to do that, but not this year. Change was needed. Whether it was the coach, core player(s) or GM, I think the remaining players needed a message sent.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I think that Chia did a good job during the first half of his tenure, but has been slipping since they won the Cup. He fell in love with that Cup-winning roster instead of continuing to adapt and build.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
The whole team under performed with maybe the exception of Bergy and Rask and I'm not even convinced on those two. 50+ points from your top scorer and a goalie who seemed to not be able to win critical games. What I'm saying is there were bigger issues than missing a few players here and there. We watched this team all season go through horrible stretches where they looked like the worst team in the league. Was this a team that was going to go far in the playoffs if they snuck in - No. And as much as it upset me and everyone else here, its for the best , as at least some of the issues are being addressed , with one major piece yet to come the dismissal of Julien.

I completely agree.

All I'm saying is the narrative could be completely different today, with just the "do overs" of Seguin, Boychuk and acquisition of someone of Iggy's ilk. Three moves would make everyone completely forget all the other wrongs you list above, all the draft mistakes, etc......because we'd not only be in the playoffs, we'd have at least one round of home ice. Everyone would be pretty happy right now.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Obviously, there would've been other moves made to get cap compliant. And we wouldn't have had the stupid Smith contract on our books, nor Loui. Everything would be different.

Get over the Smith contract already, he's over payed by what $1M maybe. What would that extra $1M have done really. And tbh behind Bergy , its quite possible Loui was our 2nd best forward.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Smith's raise doesn't kick in until next year. They would of had to find money for Iginla(or another 30 goal scorer) THIS year.

But your right about the compliance buy-outs. Should of been used on Paille and Campbell. And never re-sign Bartkowski. Maybe Boychuk would of been here then. Still don't see where you get money THIS year for that 30 goal scorer without moving out another core guy. Then the media can talk about that core guy being gone as the reason the Bruins are bad.

But you pretty much made my point. It's a combination and series of moves made and moves not made, and poor drafting that got the Bruins where they are, not just, well player X is gone and they didn't replace him.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Anyone that watched the team the last couple of seasons should know of the problems with the team. The players started to veer away from hits, they started not going to dirty areas, they lacked focused when pressure started to mount and rarely got emotional involved too. Something was just off with this team. It felt like the B on the front of thier jerseys didnt give them much pride anymore.

SCF less than 24 months ago.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Can someone tell me what Chiarelli is bringing to the table that someone like Don Swenney, Paul Fenton or some other decent candidate can't do?

The drafting was bad, trades where bad and contracts where bad..

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007

Amen , if I hear one more time - I thought we battled hard but didn't get to the dirty areas and commit to the system - I gonna come up to Boston and dump Claude's bucket of chicken.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I'm not even at the point where I've thought about their overall playing style. I'm just giddy that Neely is also tired of the 15 d to d reverse passes this team has used as the focal point of their transition game for the last 8 years. Him saying he wants to improve just that one aspect of their game makes me happy. :laugh:

Dude, that was my biggest beef. Made me laugh when a puck moving defenseman talk came up. For what? That not how they play. It's why those type of defensemen never survive here. They cycle on D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad