Speculation: Chiarelli compensation

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I've always been pissed that the Bruins scouting was always weak in the past and continues. On top of it, the fire two guys that scout the OHL just before the draft. Seems like a dumb move to me. As a top team in this league, and a league that has the cap, I would think that they should have an abundance of scouts. If they can't spend over the cap, maybe they can throw money at scouting to try an get an edge that they so desperately need right now.

Who were the two OHL scouts the B's fired?

Leblanc was a Q scout, and Holtari was a Euro scout. The only OHL guy they canned was Chiarelli's bro, Mike, who Dom said he never saw at an OHL game he attended.

Hockey64

Nov 6, 2014
Western Mass
Obviously Chia decided not to give B's 2015 2nd rounder so it is either 2016 0r 2017 when the 2nd rounder comes Boston's way?

They already have (2) first rounders next year.....could be another loaded draft for B's if they have 4 of the top 60 pics, which leads to a 2nd question; is 2016 a decent draft class?

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Obviously Chia decided not to give B's 2015 2nd rounder so it is either 2016 0r 2017 when the 2nd rounder comes Boston's way?

They already have (2) first rounders next year.....could be another loaded draft for B's if they have 4 of the top 60 pics, which leads to a 2nd question; is 2016 a decent draft class?

I would expect they'd wait as long as possible to give it. Why give it sooner, ya know?

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
thought early reports were '17 was stronger than '16? but i could be mixing them up.

do they have until draft day '16 to make that election?

also, can that pick be subsequently traded? or is it one where they must draft a player in that spot (ie can't use it to trade)?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Has anybody heard what EDM is planning on doing with this pick, 2016 or 2017?

The general consensus is that the 2017 draft is deeper, so even though the pick this year would be 32, I wonder if EDM rolls the dice? If the B's get this year's pick they will have 4 picks in the top 44. If it's the 2017 pick, it makes up for the one they dealt at the deadline.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Has anybody heard what EDM is planning on doing with this pick, 2016 or 2017?

The general consensus is that the 2017 draft is deeper, so even though the pick this year would be 32, I wonder if EDM rolls the dice? If the B's get this year's pick they will have 4 picks in the top 44. If it's the 2017 pick, it makes up for the one they dealt at the deadline.

That isn't how it works in my mind. You don't make up for mistakes with luck.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
That isn't how it works in my mind. You don't make up for mistakes with luck.

What are you talking about?

The B's knew they were getting this pick last May. Maybe one of the reasons they were willing to give up a 2nd at the deadline, who knows? It was a mistake in your opinion to buy at the deadline, but I think most teams that were in 3rd place (74 pts) and only 4 out of first would have done the same.

member 96824

What are you talking about?

The B's knew they were getting this pick last May. Maybe one of the reasons they were willing to give up a 2nd at the deadline, who knows? It was a mistake in your opinion to buy at the deadline, but I think most teams that were in 3rd place (74 pts) and only 4 out of first would have done the same.

Come on Joe, the B's defense was so bad even the blind could see they weren't going anywhere come playoff time.

IIRC, last year you were all about the Bruins doing the smart thing and collecting assets for UFAs like Soderberg. You weren't wrong then. B's were in the same position this year. You'd still be right...why decide to change to wrong instead?

Bruins were 4th in the division, fighting for a wild card spot...same spot as the year before
http://www.shrpsports.com/nhl/stand.php?link=Y&season=2016&divcnf=div&month=Feb&date=29

http://www.shrpsports.com/nhl/stand.php?link=Y&season=2015&divcnf=div&month=Feb&date=28

Going into the draft are they in a better spot with or without the picks they traded for Liles and Stempniak to try and acquire a top 4 defender?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Come on Joe, the B's defense was so bad even the blind could see they weren't going anywhere come playoff time.

IIRC, last year you were all about the Bruins doing the smart thing and collecting assets for UFAs like Soderberg. You weren't wrong then. B's were in the same position this year. You'd still be right...why decide to change to wrong instead?

Bruins were 4th in the division, fighting for a wild card spot...same spot as the year before
http://www.shrpsports.com/nhl/stand.php?link=Y&season=2016&divcnf=div&month=Feb&date=29

http://www.shrpsports.com/nhl/stand.php?link=Y&season=2015&divcnf=div&month=Feb&date=28

Going into the draft are they in a better spot with or without the picks they traded for Liles and Stempniak to try and acquire a top 4 defender?

Brad, I have said many times, as a fan, I would have sold at the last two deadlines. IMO, the B's weren't going anywhere even if they made it. However, I'm not naive enough to think that owners and GM's have the luxury of thinking the same way we do.

member 96824

Brad, I have said many times, as a fan, I would have sold at the last two deadlines. IMO, the B's weren't going anywhere even if they made it. However, I'm not naive enough to think that owners and GM's have the luxury of thinking the same way we do.

Then they should be replaced by people who do. It's literally their job to execute a plan and vision. It's a fans job to hope the Bruins go 82-0 and live in la la everything is awesome land

They failed last year, did the same thing this year, failed again. I don't think it took a magic 8 ball to predict that. If you and I can see it than that's saying something! :laugh:

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

But Glory, why is that "naive" thinking? If we want to get back to Cup contention, this is the way we need to think: smart asset management, which is precisely what you're advocating (and I agree with your view about the deadlines).

Don Sweeney took over a team in cap hell that was in serious need of a retool. He should be given the time to do that retool, with the expectation he might miss a playoff or two. IMHO, it seems to me naive to think he can do a re-tool or "bridge" year(s) while also scraping into the playoffs only to be turfed in a single series. It's a recipe for Sinden mediocrity (which is why I'm not surprised to hear, via Dom, that Sinden is exerting more influence these days than before).

And Jeremy Jacobs is a billionaire. As someone pointed out on another thread, one missed playoff series is not going to make or break his fortune. But a successful Cup run surely would be a cash cow. Someone should be making that case to him. Presumably, that would be Neely.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Then they should be replaced by people who do. It's literally their job to execute a plan and vision. It's a fans job to hope the Bruins go 82-0 and live in la la everything is awesome land

They failed last year, did the same thing this year, failed again. I don't think it took a magic 8 ball to predict that. If you and I can see it than that's saying something! :laugh:

Sitting on my couch, it's an easy call. One point and the B's get 3rd in the Atlantic and who knows what happens? Unlikely they win a Cup, but they could have won a round or two in the East. I honestly don't think that they hurt themselves too badly at the deadline.

They will recoup a couple of picks at the draft dealing RFA's and maybe Loui's rights. Also, when they ink Vesey, that will lessen the blow of keeping Loui at the deadline.

member 96824

Sitting on my couch, it's an easy call. One point and the B's get 3rd in the Atlantic and who knows what happens? Unlikely they win a Cup, but they could have won a round or two in the East. I honestly don't think that they hurt themselves too badly at the deadline.

They will recoup a couple of picks at the draft dealing RFA's and maybe Loui's rights. Also, when they ink Vesey, that will lessen the blow of keeping Loui at the deadline.

How? Those two moves are independent of each other. Unless Vesey has this weird "I will only sign with Boston if they keep Loui Eriksson at the deadline and then lose him for nothing in the summer",

It will also all be less ammo than they could have gone to bat with by sticking to a plan instead of being reactionary to where they stood in the standings that day. The Bruins stand today with less assets than they had at the trade deadline to try and fill a hole. They also let a valuable asset with a timeline expire. That's poor and reactionary asset management.

But you already know that, that's why you agree with me:D

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Asset management? How about trading Johnny Boychuk for (2) 2nds, then trading (2) 2nds for 4th line RW Brett Connolly. How's that for asset management

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
How? Those two moves are independent of each other. Unless Vesey has this weird "I will only sign with Boston if they keep Loui Eriksson at the deadline and then lose him for nothing in the summer",

It will also all be less ammo than they could have gone to bat with by sticking to a plan instead of being reactionary to where they stood in the standings that day. The Bruins stand today with less assets than they had at the trade deadline to try and fill a hole. They also let a valuable asset with a timeline expire. That's poor and reactionary asset management.

But you already know that, that's why you agree with me:D

I'm not sure I would call it reactionary? Flexible might be a better word? I can disagree with what they did, but I'm not going to kill them for it. They found themselves in an unexpected position, adapted and changed the plans a bit.

Perhaps Sweeney is confident enough in his own (and his staffs) abilities to think that they could add a couple of vets at the deadline and still have enough assets to do what needs to be done?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Ok, anyway...back to the original question I posed.

Has anyone heard whether EDM will give up their 2nd this year or next?

I haven't heard but if I was them I'd do it this year. I know that means giving up a pick that's practically another first, but they have THREE picks in the 3rd round to offset that or buy back into the second round if they want. Plus, if they're better next year Chiarelli could use that pick as currency to make a deadline acquisition, and if they're not better then next year's second round pick will be another one that's practically a first.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Would be crazy for them to do this year imho. They'll want it to be a lower second next year. They can trade away a pick this year for futures if they have too many...

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Does it also have to be pick 32? I think they paid the Sharks with 86 for McLellan, which was the Blues pick.
Is there a date it has to be finalized on or could they make a trade on draft day for a low 2nd and then give it to the Bruins?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Ok, anyway...back to the original question I posed.

Has anyone heard whether EDM will give up their 2nd this year or next?

Maybe?

I haven't heard but if I was them I'd do it this year. I know that means giving up a pick that's practically another first, but they have THREE picks in the 3rd round to offset that or buy back into the second round if they want. Plus, if they're better next year Chiarelli could use that pick as currency to make a deadline acquisition, and if they're not better then next year's second round pick will be another one that's practically a first.

When was the last time the Oilers did anything that was logical?

Does it also have to be pick 32? I think they paid the Sharks with 86 for McLellan, which was the Blues pick.
Is there a date it has to be finalized on or could they make a trade on draft day for a low 2nd and then give it to the Bruins?

Has to be their own pick. Second if signed in season (Chiarelli) 3rd if signed off-season (McLellan).

Off-season is after the NHL playoffs
In-season is any time up until the end of the last playoff game

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Maybe?

When was the last time the Oilers did anything that was logical?

Has to be their own pick. Second if signed in season (Chiarelli) 3rd if signed off-season (McLellan).

Off-season is after the NHL playoffs
In-season is any time up until the end of the last playoff game

So if it's their own pick how did the Sharks end up with 86 then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad