Speculation: Chiarelli compensation

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
Just a thought since Chia is GM and President of Hockey Operations in Edmonton,
Could the Bruins be dealing with a high GM wage and a low President wage or vice versa. To me it is the second where as if the Bruins were to take compensation
it would still cost them 2-3 million dollars/yr range.

thoughts??

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There is no way the difference between Chiarelli's contract in Boston and his new deal in Edmonton is in the 2-3 million range

NHL GM's just don't make that much. My guess is his compensation in Boston was probably in the 2-2.5 million range annually, assuming he got a solid raise recently.

I can't imagine Edmonton is paying him more than 500K less per year

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
There is no way the difference between Chiarelli's contract in Boston and his new deal in Edmonton is in the 2-3 million range

NHL GM's just don't make that much. My guess is his compensation in Boston was probably in the 2-2.5 million range annually, assuming he got a solid raise recently.

I can't imagine Edmonton is paying him more than 500K less per year

Maybe Edmonton is only giving him 100 k for GM and 3 million for President

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Two slightly separate questions:
1. Why are we getting compensation since we fired Chiarelli?

2. Why was there no compensation for Benning? Or did we just not choose to?

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Two slightly separate questions:
1. Why are we getting compensation since we fired Chiarelli?

2. Why was there no compensation for Benning? Or did we just not choose to?

1) you are entitled to compensation even for a fired manager. As long as he is being paid by your team, compensation comes into play.

2) compensation only start this year.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Just a thought since Chia is GM and President of Hockey Operations in Edmonton,
Could the Bruins be dealing with a high GM wage and a low President wage or vice versa. To me it is the second where as if the Bruins were to take compensation
it would still cost them 2-3 million dollars/yr range.

thoughts??
I'm still not clear on the compensation. Maybe you can clarify it for me. If Edmonton has to give Boston a second round pick, when does it have to inform the Bruins? As I understand it, the pick can be in either 2015, 2016 or 2017. It appears that the 2017 pick would be better for the Oilers, whereas the Bruins would prefer this year's pick. Is there a timetable for resolving this?

I know Gorton (or Sweeney) can waive the pick and make another transaction. Just don't know how the pick selection works.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I'm still not clear on the compensation. Maybe you can clarify it for me. If Edmonton has to give Boston a second round pick, when does it have to inform the Bruins? As I understand it, the pick can be in either 2015, 2016 or 2017. It appears that the 2017 pick would be better for the Oilers, whereas the Bruins would prefer this year's pick. Is there a timetable for resolving this?

I know Gorton (or Sweeney) can waive the pick and make another transaction. Just don't know how the pick selection works.

There is no other transaction allowed. It's either the Bruins accept the pick or waive it. The discussion is between Nicholson and Neely.

And there is no timetable. If the Bruins want the pick, the Oilers decide in which of the 3 years the Bruins get the pick.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Wow, what an odd rule.

That makes no sense to me.

The Bruins still have Chiarelli under a paid contract, even if they are not utilizing his services. Therefore, they are entitled to compensation. That is the theory, anyway.

Marchy63

Sep 16, 2006
Oshawa
Because managers and coaches have guarenteed contracts (just like the players) technically Peter Chiarelli was still under contract with the Boston Bruins. Being fired really means they are removing him from his position as GM and replacing him with someone but they cannot terminate his contract meaning that technically he is still under contract with Bruins.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Because managers and coaches have guarenteed contracts (just like the players) technically Peter Chiarelli was still under contract with the Boston Bruins. Being fired really means they are removing him from his position as GM and replacing him with someone but they cannot terminate his contract meaning that technically he is still under contract with Bruins.

That seems logical.

Still odd that a team fires a guy they just recently extended and gets a reward for their own incompetence.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
That seems logical.

Still odd that a team fires a guy they just recently extended and gets a reward for their own incompetence.

OR

They could have just said "you're under contract for 3 more years and we won't allow other teams to talk to you."

If other teams want you, they are going to have to pay the price. Because he was under contract, they could have prevented him from joining any of their competitors.

Technically, Chiarelli wasn't fired, he was relieved only of his GM duties. He was never relieved of his vice president duties that I can find anywhere where Neely or Jacobs say so.

norwoodmustang

Jul 29, 2005
Norwood, MA USA
That seems logical.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Dave Lewis did some scouting for Boston in Julien's first year. Just like Chiarelli was going to discuss a position within the organization for Mac when he got the Edmonton job. You're paying them unless they are hired elsewhere, so you can use them in other positions if you want or let them sit at home and collect their money. Since you own their rights, you get compensation.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
There is no other transaction allowed. It's either the Bruins accept the pick or waive it. The discussion is between Nicholson and Neely.

And there is no timetable. If the Bruins want the pick, the Oilers decide in which of the 3 years the Bruins get the pick.
So, theoretically, Edmonton can do nothing and wait until after the 2016 draft to inform Boston that it will award the pick in 2017.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So, theoretically, Edmonton can do nothing and wait until after the 2016 draft to inform Boston that it will award the pick in 2017.

Seems to be a question, even among the "experts" as to when the Oilers have to notify the Bruins (assuming the Bruins don't waive). Some believe it can be anytime before the draft for that year, some say it has to be settled now.

If I'm the Bruins based on my own draft projections I want 2015, 2017, 2016 in that order.

Problem with that however is the Oilers can only go up which means 2017 will be a worse pick (positionally) than 2016. But in terms of depth, I prefer 2017 over 2016, I highly doubt it will be 2015.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Seems to be a question, even among the "experts" as to when the Oilers have to notify the Bruins (assuming the Bruins don't waive). Some believe it can be anytime before the draft for that year, some say it has to be settled now.

If I'm the Bruins based on my own draft projections I want 2015, 2017, 2016 in that order.

Problem with that however is the Oilers can only go up which means 2017 will be a worse pick (positionally) than 2016. But in terms of depth, I prefer 2017 over 2016, I highly doubt it will be 2015.

Could the oilers settle on the pick and trade a roster player back for the pick? So before the draft they give the bruins said pick and the Bruins trade it back for a player?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Could the oilers settle on the pick and trade a roster player back for the pick? So before the draft they give the bruins said pick and the Bruins trade it back for a player?

Again, seems to be some confusion as to whether that would be allowed. I'm beginning to have the feeling that the NHL hasn't even completely finished writing the "rules" on this.

But I'd venture to guess no that wouldn't be allowed. The Bruins would be allowed to trade that pick to anyone but the Oilers.

BornBruliever

Aug 18, 2011

Why would they waive?.....is there a down side to accepting this compensation?

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
Wow, Edmonton fans are all bullhurt about this.

Yes the rule is dumb, but why the hell wouldn't we take advantage of it? It's a free 2nd round pick? Especially considering the situation Chiarelli left us in.

Good, grab that pick and run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad