Speculation: Chiarelli compensation

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Would be crazy for them to do this year imho. They'll want it to be a lower second next year. They can trade away a pick this year for futures if they have too many...

I agree with this.

They have to think with a full season of a sophomore McDavid and they don't finish so close to the bottom again. Not to mention any other changes they make this summer. If I'm Edmonton I'm believing this past year was the final year of bottom-feeding and thing should slowly go upwards from here. Doesn't mean they are a playoff team next season, but that the 2nd they cough up is somewhere between 38 and 45, and not 31-34.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Edmonton isn't giving us their pick this year it would be them officially announcing to the world they think they will be a bottom 5 team again and might get #1 overall. This years pick is basically a late 1st.

member 96824

yessss yesssss

I want offer sheets to become a thing. This whole country club, tip toe around so you don't rock the boat ol' boys club that is NHL GM's..screw it!

Use all the arrows in your quiver!

If a GM is making moves out of "revenge" or to get back at you after that...then you've already won

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
yessss yesssss

I want offer sheets to become a thing. This whole country club, tip toe around so you don't rock the boat ol' boys club that is NHL GM's..screw it!

If a GM is making moves out of "revenge" or to get back at you after that...then you've already won

Part of me wants it and part of me doesn't. Trade deadline day is brutal enough as is. That GM's would start to hate so many other GM's and cut trading even more doesn't really excite me much. And all over 5-6 offer sheets per year that most of the time probably lead to GM's matching. Sounds like less excitement than you'd think. And long time hate between GM's.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
yessss yesssss

I just can't understand why fans would care. All that does is escalate salaries even faster for kids who haven't earned it yet. Is Chris Kreieder getting 6 years 33 million after a couple mediocre seasons good for Fans or the league. Or if Krug or Vatanen get 6 years 36 million from someone

Remember for an offer sheet to work the team has to overpay the player pretty substantially

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Edmonton isn't giving us their pick this year it would be them officially announcing to the world they think they will be a bottom 5 team again and might get #1 overall. This years pick is basically a late 1st.

They could believe that next year is a deeper draft.
They might want to hold onto next years for offer sheet possibilities.
If they think they might be a playoff team they might want next years 2nd for a deadline deal (teams are loathe to trade recent draftees)

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I just can't understand why fans would care. All that does is escalate salaries even faster for kids who haven't earned it yet. Is Chris Kreieder getting 6 years 33 million after a couple mediocre seasons good for Fans or the league. Or if Krug or Vatanen get 6 years 36 million from someone

Remember for an offer sheet to work the team has to overpay the player pretty substantially

3 years/$10 million for each of them is going to make it very tough for the Rangers. And that's only a 2nd rounder as compensation.

All 3 are eligible for arbitration. That'll be a huge risk for the Rangers.

member 96824

Part of me wants it and part of me doesn't. Trade deadline day is brutal enough as is. That GM's would start to hate so many other GM's and cut trading even more doesn't really excite me much. And all over 5-6 offer sheets per year that most of the time probably lead to GM's matching. Sounds like less excitement than you'd think. And long time hate between GM's.

I disagree, I think it would just become something normal and not a GM hatefest. Getting compensated for losing an FA isn't the end of the world. Anyone general manager acting on emotion and grudges should be removed from the front office anyway. It's a business.

These things tend to work themselves out. How cap space is allocated doesn't affect the salary cap, there's still X amount of players and Y amount of maximum cap space...so I think the effect would be much smaller than we're thinking, free market and such. UFAs get overpaid every summer...I don't believe it has all that big of an averse effect on the league or the fans.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
I understand why we get a comp pick now.
So bottom line -- what pick do we get?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad