Chia Canned II: Chia's Gone But Why Does the Org Still Smell Like Ass?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I really wish they would let the most of the front office go.

I’m not even going to get into a debate of if they’re good or bad at there jobs (though I am of the opinion that they’re blood incompetent...)

It more so the issue of guys that have been long term fixtures here, and why/how are they going to listen to someone new and less experienced with the Oilers organisation? Even if someone like Lowe isn’t properly involved on the NHL side, you don’t think his pull wouldn’t extend to there, and to back up guys he likes and knows?

If you truly want a new voice and a new direction, than you need to get rid of the one that would oppose or challenge change.

Just clean house. If they were a member of the front office before McDavid was drafted, then thank them for their services and show them the door. It’s the only way to cut out the rot.

Cory Gray

Oct 9, 2018
Soundwave said:
Chiarelli and McLellan had a very good resume, it was easy to be fooled. At that time Chiarelli probably also could've gotten the job in Toronto if he wanted it.

At least with Nicholson it was an understandable risk. The Bruins had made 2 Finals and won one. You assume the guy knows what he's doing.

That Boston situation was easy to misread unless you really dug into it.

But that was his job... Nicholson's job was to really dig into it. It's not like there weren't warning signs all over this.

1) Chiarelli was fired by the Bruins
2) The Tyler Seguin trade was horrible.
3) Many warnings coming out of Boston to not hire this guy, many of those warnings posted right on here.
4) His trading, drafting and negotiating record with Boston were there for all to see.

Now I ask... do you really want Bob to be making the next GM hire. I don't, because we'll just be revisiting our past mistakes, unless, he falls into a good selection, which is possible, but I'd rather take the chance on someone else leading this organization. After that press conference, how could anyone not see that this guy is just not very good - obviously he has been drinking too much Edmonton water to think clearly.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
At least with Nicholson it was an understandable risk. The Bruins had made 2 Finals and won one. You assume the guy knows what he's doing.

So what, you’re now defending the hiring of the guy you’ve spent the last 18 months ripping limb from limb? I’ll never understand how you think.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Cory Gray

Oct 9, 2018
Just clean house. If they were a member of the front office before McDavid was drafted, then thank them for their services and show them the door. It’s the only way to cut out the rot.

I would have to agree with you... at the management level is all I would preface this with. I would also not put a hard line on the date (McDavid was drafted) - All the upper management - GONE... anyone else with a loser mentality - GONE. Anyone left with a hard working and winning attitude - they can stay.

Lowe might have won when he was a player... but as a manager... (deleted)... well, what has he won?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
That’s why I want a guy like Mike Gillis in the POHO position. He revamped Vancouver’s pro scouting and made some great moves (outside the Luongo saga). Laurence Gilman as the GM who is ahead of the curve in analytics. My dream team.
hopefully he hires better amateur scouts...his drafts get an F-

Gillis' best pick was Bo Horvat in 2013...he whiffed on Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Jensen, Schroeder and Hodgson, and that's just the 1st round!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So what, you’re now defending the hiring of the guy you’ve spent the last 18 months ripping limb from limb? I’ll never understand how you think.

I'm not defending it, I'm saying I can see how one could be fooled and suckered at least in the beginning.

While for a lot of people the past few weeks were a harsh wake up call, for me it wasn't. I told you guys for months this bus was going in the wrong direction, now some people I guess are finally having that dawn on them, for me it's more like "welp, is there at least a diner in this run down little town?".

I knew this is where we were going to end up this season so I don't have anger or shock by this point.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Any of you catch today's Oilers now?

Pretty damning picture of how Chia ran ship.
-Hated opinions that differed his own
-avoided media at all cost
-called most shots even if they were illogical

Pretty much an egotistical prick with tunnel vision

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

While I agree Chia is the worst, this also fits with the pattern of the Oilers releasing information about their ex-employees/players with a drive-by hitjob.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Which Uncle Nicky clearly didn't do. Due diligence was not followed, which is something he promises he will do this time. This from a seasoned exec. Jeezus......

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Guess we will see what they do between now and the TDL. I honestly think the whole organization is filled with incompetence. I think the pro scouts are terrible, assuming we actually have any. Decisions in general just seem bad. Guess we will see what Keith Gretzky does in the meantime.

Cory Gray

Oct 9, 2018

Wow... that doesn't surprise me... and he sucked, the worst of all possible combinations.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
While I agree Chia is the worst, this also fits with the pattern of the Oilers releasing information about their ex-employees/players with a drive-by hitjob.
So what would you or do you expect? The Oilers driven media types to turn on those cutting the checks? The franchise reacts in accordance with their fans displeasure for the sole purpose of filling seats. Even in the 80s there was disharmony carefully spun by mgmt, media and an even greedier owner.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

"most shots". Who called the rest? He flat out sucked that isn't in question, who else shat the bed is.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017

no no no no

It's all ran by puppet strings by the OBC man

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

All that and they still have the guy around for three and a half seasons? If what they’re spinning now was all true you’d think they’d have punted him long ago. IMO, that being true would shine an ever brighter light of incompetence on Nicholson or whomever is in charge. It’s not like his job performance was so good that it was forcing everyone to look the other way. This looks a lot like the hatchet jobs they’ve done on a lot of people that have left the organization. It’s always made me roll my eyes when Stauffer does his public change of opinion on Oiler personnel. It’s so obvious he’s being told to do it.

Reactions: TB12

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Guess we will see what they do between now and the TDL. I honestly think the whole organization is filled with incompetence. I think the pro scouts are terrible, assuming we actually have any. Decisions in general just seem bad. Guess we will see what Keith Gretzky does in the meantime.
How many years have we been saying this? It goes back to when it was just Lowe and Mactavish in that front office.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Stauffer was going full court press to try and downplay MacT's involvement with the pro side of things. Got to keep that blame off the OBC. Didn't have any hesitation in questioning Duane Sutter's performance though.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Eh...I could see Chia being the only one pushing for Manning and Petrovic. Probably ignored a bunch of his scouts and advisors on both of them.

Reactions: BlackDogg

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the OBC had little to do with hockey decisions but MacT was 3rd in command, Paul Coffey was hired as a part-time skills coach or whenever he feels like taking a vacation down to California...and Paul Messier is a scout for the team...

complete non-sense

Reactions: Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad