Chia Addresses Media

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Whether ur looking at Hall, Nuge, Ebs, Drai, Nurse or the 1st round pick, there are good reasons to keep each one. I understand the reluctance to trade any one of them.

But is there a good reason to keep all 6 and continue the failed strategy of improving the D by making minor trades and making minor to mid-level signings?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Whether ur looking at Hall, Nuge, Ebs, Drai, Nurse or the 1st round pick, there are good reasons to keep each one. I understand the reluctance to trade any one of them.

But is there a good reason to keep all 6 and continue the failed strategy of improving the D by making minor trades and making minor to mid-level signings?
Because of silly attachment to players who haven't won anything while here.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Trading one or two of them at a slight loss is fine, but trading all of them at losses is just asking for disaster.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Because of silly attachment to players who haven't won anything while here.

I think people see a player like Seguin go to a winning team and say that's why you don't trade that guy.

However, teams are built on 20+ guys who make you win night in night out. The Oilers realistically need an overall to get 2-3 #1-2 d-man, and let Klef/Davidson be the bottom pair, let Nurse/Reinhart develop in the minors.

Forwards get replaced easily because they come in free agency or in the draft, and at this point if you have Hall, Mcdavid, Draisaitl as untouchables you don't have to find all stars just guys to fill gaps.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Trouble is other teams want to fleece the Oilers. They want RNH for their #6 D. Teams want the Oilers best players for their #6 D or 4th liners. I trade Ebs before I trade RNH. I'd keep Yak over Ebs because Yak is cheaper and actually works hard.

Regardless of their effort level, Yakupov brings nothing to the table for us. Eberle actually does.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I could be wrong obviously, but unless he got a an offer that couldn't be refused I think Chiarelli's going to keep that 1st round pick if it's in the top 3.

I will be seriously p---ed if that happens. It will mean they are not in a hurry. Unless, of course he trades 2 of the 6 mil $ kids for quality D.

I think he has to use 2 good assets (I really don't care which ones) to shore up the D and change the dynamic of the top 9.

Some fans are going to have to come to grips with the notion that there is a very good chance that their man-crush will be leaving town. But, don't fret, you can sell your (Eberle?) jersey on EBay.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I could be wrong obviously, but unless he got a an offer that couldn't be refused I think Chiarelli's going to keep that 1st round pick if it's in the top 3.

Would be the wrong move. The value of the draft asset is greater to this team than the draft itself. We can't afford stockpiling another young player, already have too much of an inexperienced core to begin with. We need to package that pick in a deal to obtain useful vet player, not retain the pick.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Would be the wrong move. The value of the draft asset is greater to this team than the draft itself. We can't afford stockpiling another young player, already have too much of an inexperienced core to begin with. We need to package that pick in a deal to obtain useful vet player, not retain the pick.

Agreed. If a number #1D is at all possible to obtain. That pick should be part of it.

I also think it's in Chia's best interest to move the pick. He gets a pass on this year as evaluative.

Next year the results have to improve. Another high draft pick that will take some learning isn't really necessary.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
trading a top 3 pick would be ****ing ******** unless you're getting a prime #1 D back with term. Otherwise no way jose. Rebuild the rebuild for good supporting assets, picks, defensive help, whatever, and start building the right way around 97.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Not sure what you mean by "useful". There better be a #1 Dman coming back in that trade package. And I don't mean Shattenkirk or Hamonic. It better be something of Subban or OEL level, or no ****ing way. That is a silver bullet that needs to be be used incredibly judiciously.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
There better be a #1 Dman coming back in that trade package then. And I don't mean Shattenkirk or Hamonic. It better be something of Subban or OEL level, or no ****ing way. That is a silver bullet that needs to be be used incredibly judiciously.

You ain't getting either of those guys for the first overall this year.

Maybe with a big + coming from the Oilers and/or the Oilers taking garbage back in return.

This isn't the McDavid pick we are talking about. Time to perform now. 11 years out of the playoffs would be a real embarrassment.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not sure what you mean by "useful". There better be a #1 Dman coming back in that trade package. And I don't mean Shattenkirk or Hamonic. It better be something of Subban or OEL level, or no ****ing way. That is a silver bullet that needs to be be used incredibly judiciously.

meh, this team has a full cartridge of silver bullets they barely know what to do with.

The problem on this team is too much inexperience. The absolute last thing I want in this stable is more prospects. When is this rebuild supposed to result in anything? 5 yrs from now..:shakehead

This team BADLY needs a bonafide first pairing D right now which will take a package to get.

lol as well that an org burying a #1 pick on 3rd and 4th lines all year really needs another high pick in the stable. :shakehead

Get rid of it in trade.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You ain't getting either of those guys for the first overall this year.

Maybe with a big + coming from the Oilers and/or the Oilers taking garbage back in return.

This isn't the McDavid pick we are talking about. Time to perform now. 11 years out of the playoffs would be a real embarrassment.

That's why I said "package."

McDeathbyCheerios*

And yet again the fan base is obsessed with picks again and believes this one will help us like all the rest have.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
meh, this team has a full cartridge of silver bullets they barely know what to do with.

The problem on this team is too much inexperience. The absolute last thing I want in this stable is more prospects. When is this rebuild supposed to result in anything? 5 yrs from now..:shakehead

This team BADLY needs a bonafide first pairing D right now which will take a package to get.

lol as well that an org burying a #1 pick on 3rd and 4th lines all year really needs another high pick in the stable. :shakehead

Get rid of it in trade.

You really need to get over your bitterness of the treatment and your blind love of Yak. It's creeping into posts and threads that have nothing to do with him.

You don't get rid of high picks. If you move them, you'd better get something dammed good coming back.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
And yet again the fan base is obsessed with picks again and believes this one will help us like all the rest have.

please, give us your solution

the team has no depth, no good prospects or support players in their pipeline

there are few, to no D available, that will be able to turn this ship around in 2 years

pennies on the $ is what you're getting back for RNH/Eberle/Hall/Yak

they need to get better at drafting, and have the patience to let players DEVELOP in juniors/minors/overseas

this isn't going to magically become a case of: trade 1st OA, trade Hall, trade Eberle/RNH = profit, all warts fixed

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You really need to get over your bitterness of the treatment and your blind love of Yak. It's creeping into posts and threads that have nothing to do with him.

You don't get rid of high picks. If you move them, you'd better get something dammed good coming back.

Yeah lets get more high picks the org can bury in bottomsix.

That'll work great. We've done so well developing prospects after all. :sarcasm::shakehead

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yeah lets get more high picks the org can bury in bottomsix.

That'll work great. We've done so well developing prospects after all. :sarcasm::shakehead

There's only one guy buried in the bottom 6. And deservedly so. The guy you have wet dreams at night over.;)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
There's only one guy buried in the bottom 6. And deservedly so. The guy you have wet dreams at night over.;)

Whether Yak be part of the teams plans or not he's a #1 pick and illustrative. My take is we have too many players in topix that are young. We have so-so 1 Vet on each line, we have guys like McDavid, Hall, feeling immense pressure and forcing poor percentage plays. This lack of vet support impacts even McDavid who's game is sinking due to so little help.

We take competitive players like this and give them no help. Then we want to draft more top picks?

How many young players do you think our team can develop adequately simultaneously. We're currently ****ing over McDavid, Nurse, Drai, after already having done that with the first rebuild launch.

McDeathbyCheerios*

please, give us your solution

the team has no depth, no good prospects or support players in their pipeline

there are few, to no D available, that will be able to turn this ship around in 2 years

pennies on the $ is what you're getting back for RNH/Eberle/Hall/Yak

they need to get better at drafting, and have the patience to let players DEVELOP in juniors/minors/overseas

this isn't going to magically become a case of: trade 1st OA, trade Hall, trade Eberle/RNH = profit, all warts fixed
You draft in later rounds or move that 1st rounder for a player and a later pick in the round.

Pennies on the dollar for those players? :headshake:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Brought this thread forward because it's interesting to hear people on it absolutely trashing Chia, and then, a little over a week later, exalting him. For shame. Kind of like Jesus in reverse.:D

We are a quirky species.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
He's basically turning us into the 2008 to 2013 era Bruins.

I'm ok with that if we can also avoid the braindead contracts that he started handing out to third and fourth line grinders in Boston.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Maybe Chia should have and could have made some of these cheapish (and obvious to most of us in terms of toughening up the lineup) moves earlier in the season before yet another season was sewered with zero chance of any hope for a playoff spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad